A Dying Rap Game

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
The dumbing down has been going on since the beginning, partially due to who controls the industry but mostly due in large part because ppl don't want to hear that shit (politics, oppression, etc.). Club and strip club music is supposed to be fun not depressing. Political truth music has its place but escape music is what most people are looking for..... People hate reality yet do nothing to change it....

Last edited:
May 16, 2002
Your thread title has the word dying in it. So you're saying rap is -dying- because it in your -opinion- isn't at it's peak? Now you're saying in one single year it will be completely dead? lolwut

You -personally- don't bump songs for months and delete. It's another case of your personal taste in music being your argument that a genre is dying lol

The majority of their tour is booked in theaters, not night clubs, so I would assume they book that many large venues as the headlining act they plan on filling seats. If not they would have booked a majority club tour....

You know a person that doesn't sell records or fill venues so that means nobody else can....gotcha lol

Corporate America is going to go out of it's way to stop rappers from making money off of the internet??? LMAO come on guy you seriously post some of the dumbest shit I've read on this website.

Corporate America are the ones running the shit getting these artists paid. Vevo which is paying out hundreds of millions to artists is owned by Universal Music Group. Google which is paying out artists from ad revenue is one of the largest corporations on the planet.

The fuck are you talking about? lol

I got it! You're a 90s baby. That what I get from your post, but let me be clear and give you credit. I didn't read a lot of it. Here is why, it comes across more like it's personal for you.

Your flipping it making it sound like I "hate" everything new. That's not the case. I like Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, ASAP Rocky, YG, Earl Sweatshirt, Hopsin, Joey Bada$$, Logic, Wiz Khalifa, Ty Dolla $ign, Sage the Gemini etc.

The music is dying though. Because fact of the matter is, that most music today sucks. No, I don't hate it, but it does suck. And I'm not the only one who's said that. I hear it from random people in regular conversations. It's not personal.

You can come back and try to disect my post, make it seem like I'm attacking all new music. And you can come in here and tell me a rapper I never heard of is doing it big. At the end, I don't care and still feel a lot of today's music is garbage. And no, I don't believe a lot of what you state on this subject. It's sounds good, but none of it is solid fact. It's just your opinion against mine LOL!

Props: Mr G and Mr G

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
One part missing in the discussion is, that rap doesn't only exist in the US. Redman/Method doing a tour in Germany/Europe making them a lot of money, cause the fan base is strong. German rappers selling heaps of records. I can't talk for all countries, I just know, that rap music sells very well in Germany. And I know, that many many American rappers/groups tour Germany and Europe frequently, cause they sell out shows everywhere they go...

Nov 24, 2003
Nowhere in this thread have I stated that more revenue is made now compared to back then. I responded to your graph stating the graph is a huge understatement about the revenue that is collected by artists.
That is true. I asked you by what metric you were basing your position that rap is "more alive" now than it ever has been - and you haven't provided anything other than your opinion.

Previous to that I stated record sales revenue is no longer a standard bearer for the music industry.
Again, so what is the new standard bearer for the music industry?

Also we have been talking about music industry revenue in total of which record sales only makes up a minority portion.

Never before has a rapper whether underground, main stream, regional, or whatever had more of an opportunity to gather revenue without the support of a major label.

In the 90's there would be a small percentage of people with a fuck ton of money. Now days it's still a small percentage with a fuck ton of money, but now we have another large percentage with at least a decent bank account and more avenues to continue adding to that bank account.

The revenue made by rap music in 2016 is a lot more distributed among a lot more people compared to 1999.
Source? That just sounds like your opinion without any facts backing it up.

I am not saying you are definitively wrong but you have provided no facts to back up your opinion.

Now days I'm learning about new rappers almost every single day that are dope, back in the 90's I was either force fed a few by MTV or the radio or I would learn about a handful of rappers from one region (example The Bay and Sacramento through this website)
Again your backup seems to rely 100% on your opinion.

I have no idea how somebody can state "rap is dying".

Rap ain't dying, maybe certain individuals taste in music has stagnated and they don't like new sounds, but that definitely isn't a reason to say it's dying.
That's easy. Rap today whether it is a few people making all the money or more people making less money - rap as industry segment today makes less money (aggregate including tours, digital sales, you tube revenue) than it did in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Business school lesson 101 - "if you're not growing you're dying"

Apr 25, 2002
The music is dying though. Because fact of the matter is, that most music today sucks. No, I don't hate it, but it does suck. And I'm not the only one who's said that. I hear it from random people in regular conversations. It's not personal.
i'd argue "most" music has always sucked to everybody. if not, everybody would buy/support everybody and every artist would be successful then and successful now. the reason why the older folk on here used to have a cd or tape or vinyl collection is cus they liked certain artists and not others. so pretty much most music has always sucked.

Aug 7, 2003
Pittsburg/Bay Point
That's easy. Rap today whether it is a few people making all the money or more people making less money - rap as industry segment today makes less money (aggregate including tours, digital sales, you tube revenue) than it did in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Business school lesson 101 - "if you're not growing you're dying"
I like this statement here, because just speaking on the rap industry itself, rather than the music industry, it's evolve so much in the last 15-20 years, to the point that you can no longer be innovative in the rap game, everybody jumps on the innovation, but you really have to come with something inventive to knock a mufukkas ears off to keep the underground going!! As far as mainstream Rap/HipHop is concerned, big companies are always going to put somebody out to market, regardless if they're good or not, these people are marketable enough to keep the steam going...

So yes, I would say that the underground is dying, and mainstream Rap/HipHop is slowly being juiced.....

EDIT: But that's just my opinion though......

Last edited:
Underground is not dead.
Strange Music, Hopsin, real rappers like Rittz are running things now.

Mainstream is dead. Oh yeah that's why only 2 fucking rappers went platinum in 2015.
Nope nobody downloading that wack shit for free...
Yet 2 pac and Bone thugs N harmony sold multi platinum albums.

Now mainstream rappers can barely even get a platinum album!
because they suck!

ha ha hah haaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaa
haaaaaaaaaa ha

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
It's 2016 and it's not hard to see the underground rap game diminishing. I think it's a good thing to see some people quit. The remaining ones will be the ones that are in it for the love.
Possibly.

The days of getting signed with a huged advance from a major label / distributor are over.
Not quite. Just more footwork is required on your end (building a buzz, networking, etc) but the question is one of value. Is it worth it?

Blowing up today is short term.
Well, this depends on what you mean by blowing up. I wouldn't advise anyone to even become involved in the music biz unless you have a a BP, complete with SWOT and have short, mid and long term goals mapped out. In other words, are you planning for growth or a quick buck?

People today have an attention span of about 5 minutes and then it's on to the next artist.
True. However, people don't have short attention spans when it comes to business models and neither do corporations. That's what artists need to be focused on, business models. That's what companies and investors invest in, business models.

All the gimmicks no longer work. The mixtape, flooding the market, the anthem, the radio single, the club banger etc. are a waste of time. Nobody gives a shit. Artist / producers are content with numorous clicks / likes online (reverbnation, soundcloud, youtube.) They lost focus on the main focus... to sell records.
See above and you know what everything you just said goes back to? There is no "experience." There is no experience created for the user/listener. Part of it is because the guys don't know how and so rely on the things you listed. What makes that even more problematic is the limited attention span of users/listeners (and content creators.)

Websites have turned to social media pages and pushing what little they can if any, but it's a dying breed for the most part.
See above.

From the highest person on the totem pole, to the guy in his room with his sister or mom's stalking for a popper stopper and recording in his closet.

Your thoughts?
Everyone, from the fan to the artist, should examine themselves and see what they're in it for.

May 16, 2002
Possibly.

Not quite. Just more footwork is required on your end (building a buzz, networking, etc) but the question is one of value. Is it worth it?

Well, this depends on what you mean by blowing up. I wouldn't advise anyone to even become involved in the music biz unless you have a a BP, complete with SWOT and have short, mid and long term goals mapped out. In other words, are you planning for growth or a quick buck?

True. However, people don't have short attention spans when it comes to business models and neither do corporations. That's what artists need to be focused on, business models. That's what companies and investors invest in, business models.

See above and you know what everything you just said goes back to? There is no "experience." There is no experience created for the user/listener. Part of it is because the guys don't know how and so rely on the things you listed. What makes that even more problematic is the limited attention span of users/listeners (and content creators.)

See above.

Everyone, from the fan to the artist, should examine themselves and see what they're in it for.
I like what you've stated. It's good outlook. Different, but makes for great business discussion.

"Everyone, from the fan to the artist, should examine themselves and see what they're in it for."

PERFECT!!!! This is a great statement! I say this to a lot of people and agree 100%! It's either you're in it for the long haul, or you're in it for the fast buck and will burn out quick and quit.

The majority of people that came into the game after figuring out they can record on a home computer, they came in thinking they'd blow up over night and make rdiculous money. When it doesn't work out, they quit. I personally think that's a good thing. Those type of people ruined the game. It became a fad and everybody and their mama was involved in music in some way, shape, or form.

Underground rappers were a dime a dozen. Hardcopy Cds sold in the street, but it got saturated quickly. Too many whack rappers recording on computers believing in having to, "flood the market," overshadowed the ones who were really in it for the love and had that true drive. It wasn't a fad for them.

It's like some underground rappers today who come out of the woodwork and have a few songs online. They think their doing it big because they got a few hundred clicks. Then, they quickly get a tattoo of a microphone or music notes with the words, "Music Is My Life." LOL! really?

It's simple economics. The supply is there, but there is no demand.

Last edited:
May 16, 2002
I make over $3000 a month on YouTube claiming to be various artists like Killa Tay and C-bo and E-40 and Drake and Young Thug and siphoning revenues from their channels. Don't want to expose game too much but it's pretty easy lol so many unclaimed royalties due getting swooped
I question a few things with this, it's not that I don't believe you, I question it on the other end, but let's leave it at that. I as well, don't want to expose.

*Chaging Subject*

I also tend to see a lot of composers (the right term in which some of you call producers) sell themselves out. They are firm when selling beats to the regular folks, but if a known name slides through they are giving away beats for free. If they find a link to a known name, they are sending him or her beats for free just to get on.

Question is, what happened to believing in yourself? What happened to building yourself up? Or believe in the unknown tight underground rapper or R&B singer who is at your side. Perhaps that's the reflection we all fail to see. It's a question we need to bring up within ourselves in that situation. That, in my opinion paints characteristics in volumes.

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
Like I said, it's dying....

Just my opinion though....
It's your opinion and I respect it...

But in my opinion...

Underground rap is far from dead.

I don't know what some people's definition of underground rap is but to ME it's shit I don't hear on the radio....or music with no major label backing.

And there's plenty of new shit like that floating around...constantly.

That's underground to me, always has been.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I like what you've stated. It's good outlook. Different, but makes for great business discussion.
Thanks, I think "different" is how we (those who make content and those who consume it) need to start looking at things. While I'm not saying to look at this from a purely business perspective, I am, at this time, saying to put the business aspect first.

"Everyone, from the fan to the artist, should examine themselves and see what they're in it for." PERFECT!!!! This is a great statement! I say this to a lot of people and agree 100%! It's either you're in it for the long haul, or you're in it for the fast buck and will burn out quick and quit.
I think if people are truly able to answer it then proper expectations will be made and met. Personally speaking, I like to create. GOD'S CALAMITY is basically a "demo" to showcase how technology can be used and how music can be interactive. You ever heard of the video game called GEARS OF WAR? Well Gears was basically a tech demo to showcase the UNREAL ENGINE which they then licensed to other companies who wanted to use it. That's basically what GC is, simply to showcase technology within music (tech that's already there which keeps r&d costs to ZERO) and how music has the potential to be turned into a franchise complete with ancillary goods that actually serve a purpose. This in turn creates a situation where we go back to the days of TRUE A&R and back to the days of storytelling in music.

The majority of people that came into the game after figuring out they can record on a home computer, they came in thinking they'd blow up over night and make rdiculous money. When it doesn't work out, they quit. I personally think that's a good thing. Those type of people ruined the game. It became a fad and everybody and their mama was involved in music in some way, shape, or form.
True, but see rappers, hell musicians period, aren't one upping each other on a tech level. When you see people who used tech to their advantage like Soulja Boy or T-PAIN, you see they carve out a niche and they control it. Do you want to know how easy it is to record 200 songs and have 10 albums? All it takes is beats, a mic and a pen and pad. Easy. Now try making a concept album. That's a bit more difficult. Now try making a concept album where your playlist choices determine the outcome? Well that's a bit more hard. And that brings me to the point of art, which is, what is art and what is the rubric we're using for good art?

Underground rappers were a dime a dozen. Hardcopy Cds sold in the street, but it got saturated quickly. Too many whack rappers recording on computers believing in having to, "flood the market," overshadowed the ones who were really in it for the love and had that true drive. It wasn't a fad for them.
Again, for me, I like to create. I like to express different sides of myself via creative processes. Money is good, but the end goal is changing laws and how publishing works, (which is why I have a provisional patent for what I'm doing) to create incubators for other creative people and for those involved in STEAM initiatives and to push the envelope. Also, to carve my name in the history books.

It's like some underground rappers today who come out of the woodwork and have a few songs online. They think their doing it big because they got a few hundred clicks. Then, they quickly get a tattoo of a microphone or music notes with the words, "Music Is My Life." LOL! really?
Well, to them doing it big may be a few hundred clicks. That may be the ceiling for them. For me a few hundred clicks is a few hundred clicks. Ultimately, clicks mean very little to me as I play in a space where clicks are absolutely meaningless even though I'm "underground" (if we're using the definition that DuceTheTruth @DuceTheTruth laced us with.) Has the person in your example most likely spent money on studio time? Nope. Purchased a program that wasn't cracked? Nope. Purchased any piece of gear? Probably not. So who knows why they are doing it?

It's simple economics. The supply is there, but there is no demand.
Google "BLUE OCEAN" (without the quotes.)

Last edited: