a couple of quicc questions

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 30, 2002
Im looking to start buying some beats from various people online but i have a couple concerns. The first is how do i know the beat is an orriginal work from that producer and if i find out later that it is not can i be sued? How do i ensure that the beat i am buying can not be sold to anyone else? In other words how can i ensure i own the rights to that beat once it is paid for. Should i have the beats sent to me in mp3 format and then load them directly into Logic or should i have them mail me the beat on a cd? What is the going rate for a beat from a no name producer?

Apr 25, 2002
ask D-Sane, Heresy, eMDe, Big J, EQ, ill3k, Sic City, and i think sic wit it make beats....

i know they are all oringial and got some slumpage.... also they will do the rights prob you juss need to sign em and shit... have them send it to you as on a cd....

May 30, 2002
Cool...what are you payin. see i only got 5 g'z to do this album and that includs manufacturing, promotion, guest artists, beats ect.. i have a producer i been workin with for years (Mag 44) and he brings straight heat and i get the beats for free but he is a lil overworked lately and i would like to get a lil change up on this new cd. if anyone is interested in hearing his beats or any of my songs hit me up and i'll e mail one to you.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Cool...what are you payin. see i only got 5 g'z to do this album and that includs manufacturing, promotion, guest artists, beats ect..
YOU ARE DISCLOSING INFO THAT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DISCLOSED. YOU ALSO NEED TO BUDGET YOUR MONEY

1500 FOR MUSIC

1200 FOR DUPLICATION

1000 FOR PROMOTIONS

1000 FOR GUEST ARTIST

300 TO SIT ON IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG.

YOU NEED TO DIVIDE THE MONIES IN ORDER OF PRIORITY AND YOU ALSO NEED TO HAVE SHOPPED AROUND BEFORE YOU SPEND CASH. NEVER TELL WHAT YOUR WORKING WITH UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN ASKED "WHATS YOUR BUDGET ?"

AFTER THAT TELL THEM "I CAN SPEND BLAH BLAH BLAH ON A TRACK".

The first is how do i know the beat is an orriginal work from that producer and if i find out later that it is not can i be sued?
GET THE MIDI FILE AND GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. IF ITS NOT IN WRITING AND THE PERSON IS NOT TALKING ABOUT HAVING YOU SIGN PAPERS YOU SHOULDNT REALLY DEAL WITH THEM.

IF THE PERSON SHOWS YOU THE SONG HAS BEEN REGISTERED WITH SR FORMS OR THE PERSON LETS YOU REGISTER WITH SR FORMS YOU SHOULD HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. IF THE PERSON HAS ASCAP OR BMI YOU SHOULD BE SET (THESE WILL ESTABLISH OWNERSHIP OF THE WORK).

IF THE PERSON JUST SOLD YOU A BEAT AND THATS IT I WOULD BE SUSPECT. YES I WOULD SUE THE COMPOSER BUT I WOULDNT SUE YOU UNLESS YOU KNEW ABOUT IT. I WOULD FILE A PETITION/INJUCTION AND HAVE YOUR WORK HALTED. IF NOT I WOULD ATTEMPT TO COLLECT MY DAMAGES AND HAVE THE WORK REMOVED.

PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER BEFORE YOU SIGN ANY CONTRACT.

In other words how can i ensure i own the rights to that beat once it is paid for.
IF I SELL YOU A BEAT YOU DONT OWN THE RIGHTS TO IT UNLESS I DECIDE TO SPLIT IT WITH YOU. I WANT MY 8 CENTS MECHANICAL FOR EVERY BEAT I SLANG TO YOU.

LETS SAY I SELL YOU 3 BEATS AT $100 EACH. THATS $300 BUCKS. I GET AN 8 CENT MECHANICAL FOR EACH SONG. MULIPLY 3X8 AND YOU GET .24.

NOW LETS SAY YOU SELL ALL 1000 OF YOUR CDS. ON EVERY UNIT SOLD IM GETTING 24 CENTS BECAUSE I HAVE 3 SONGS AT 8 CENTS PER SONG. MULIPLY 24 CENTS X 1000=??????

NOW IF I DECIDE TO SIGN OVER ALL THE ROYALTIES/OWNERSHIP ETC ETC ETC TO YOU BEST BELIEVE THE BEAT WILL BE OVER $100 AND NO I DONT CHARGE $100 I CHARGE BY THE BUDGET.

Should i have the beats sent to me in mp3 format and then load them directly into Logic or should i have them mail me the beat on a cd?
NO YOU SHOULD NOT. YOU SHOULD HAVE EACH INDIVIDUAL TRACK IN THE SONG RECORDED AT THE HIGHEST BIT RATE AND SENT TO YOU AS A .WAV FILE.
IF ALL THE TRACKS WERE SYNCED AND RECORDED CORRECTLY THIS WONT BE AN ISSUE.

What is the going rate for a beat from a no name producer?
WHAT IS A "NO NAME PRODUCER"??????

IF YOU ARE REFERRING TO A PERSON WHO MAKES BEATS (LOL@D-SANE IF HE READS THIS!) THEY CHARGE WHATEVER THEY WANT.

I HAVENT BEEN ON MUCH WORK AND I WILL TRY TO SLANG A BEAT TO YOU FOR $5,000,000,000,000 IF ITS WORTH IT. WHY NOT?????? IF YOU LIKE IT YOU WILL PAY FOR IT. IF YOU DONT LIKE IT GO TO SOMEONE ELSE.

ME MYSELF I WOULD LOOK FOR *QUALITY* INSTEAD OF A *NAME*. THATS HOW I WOULD DO IT BUT HEY WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT.

THIS IS A SIMPLE BREAKDOWN OF WHAT MAY OR MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU. NOTHING IS ETCHED IN STONE AND DIFFFERENT COMPOSERS HAVE DIFFERENT RATES.

GOD BLESS

:h:

PS SEND ME SOME SNIPPETS OR WHATEVER.

[email protected] thats my email that can hold large files.

May 30, 2002
Thank you for taking your time to reply. I got alot of good advice from what you said and it helped out alot. The reason i dont mind telling people what i have to spend is because i want everybody to get a clear picture of how the project is going to work. It saves alot of time and headache. If someone happened to read this post and and wouldent sell any of his beats for less then 5 grand then off the bat he knows i aint got the money and he isint going to waste his time. I will pay whatever i think the beat is worth. If we cant come to an agreement then we walk. If i buy a beat off of you for say $600 and you think it was only worth $300 i still dont feel as if i got punked cause I thought it was worth $600. I tried to send you a song but the file was to big so i will try to find another song with a smaller file. again thank you for the advice it has been very helpfull