4 killed in Kansas City violence

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 22, 2005
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A man driving a dead woman's car shot a police officer, then opened fire in a parking lot and a mall Sunday, authorities said. By the end of the day, four people, including the gunman, were dead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Police shot the gunman to death outside a Target store inside Ward Parkway Center in south Kansas City, police spokesman Tony Sanders said.

Target employee Cassie Bradshaw, 19, was in a break room with two other people when they heard shots. Then, her co-workers saw a man in his 50s with a rifle "shooting everywhere," she said.

"It sounded like maybe firecrackers at first but then they got louder and louder and louder, and it sounded like someone shooting a gun," she said.

The string of violence began early Sunday afternoon, when police went to a home to check on an elderly woman relatives hadn't seen for days. The woman was found dead and her car missing, Sanders said.

The car was spotted later in the day at a gas station by an officer, who pulled the driver over and was shot in the arm, police said. The officer, whose wound was not life-threatening, returned fire and shattered the window of the gunman's car.

The car took off and was seen later at the shopping center. The man pulled into a parking space and fired at the cars on either side of him, killing two people, authorities said. He fired more shots, wounding two people, then went inside the mall, Sanders said.

Police did not say how the elderly woman died, or if the gunman was a suspect in her death. But they did say they believed the events were connected.

The mall, one of the city's busiest shopping centers, was shut down and officers were going through each store to see if anyone else might have been involved, Sanders said.

The gunman and victims' names were not immediately released, and conditions of the wounded were not available.

Dec 25, 2003
I just saw that on the news earlier!!! WTF is wrong with these psykotic people?????? Massacres are becoming a worldwide custom nowadays!!!

This world is seriously becoming a living hell!!!

Apr 30, 2004
If you get national news updates (which I do via cnn) It's kinda crazy to see some national news coming from my backyard. I know it's just national because of the VT thang, but still. It ultimately highlights this nation's highly dangerous, unstable gun culture. That's what scares me.

Nov 2, 2003
Yeah it is crazy,I just had got back from Des Moines for the Drake Relay weekend and turned on Fox 4 News and it was late breaking I was mayne this shit ain't in my city,and a week after from the Virgina shooting.

Apr 25, 2002
Was all of this white on white, white on black, black on black, black on white, Mexican on ...?

Just wondering, b/c it seems like even though everybody knows the black community is more at risk to basic violence, it seems like all of the really sick fuckers (i.e. the folks who are just depressed and want to rage out on people randomly) are white dudes, w/ the exception of the Virginia Tech thing.

Nov 2, 2003
Logsdon's sister, Kathy Cagg, said he left her a voice message just before he went on the shooting rampage.

"Kathy, it's your crazy brother. Go to the house. Go to the back yard. Go to the tool shed," Logsdon said in the message. "Take care of my kitties -- they're the only thing I have left that I love. Take care of my kitties. It's too late for me. Take care of my beautiful baby kitties."

Cagg said she thinks the call was made from a cell phone that belonged to Patricia Reed, a neighbor Logsdon is suspected of killing.