360 owners, how many play on hdtv?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 7, 2003
Tragedy said:
for what though i got driect tv and 720 is alot duller than 1080i. i've had hd progamming for over a year now and i know what i'm talking about.
1080i is better for still pictures, not fast moving video. i dont know cus i dont have a hdtv but after a year of research every site and person on the sites say that 720p is better then 1080i. ill find some links for proof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p#720p_versus_1080i

Oct 18, 2003
i would'nt get a westinghouse or a sharp sharp is the last thing i'd get with a somewhat brand name.

if anything i'd get a panasonic alot of picture for the buck. sony is overpriced.

Aug 7, 2003
720p versus 1080i

Some United States broadcasters use 720p60 as their primary high-definition format; others use the 1080i standard. While 720p presents a complete 720 line frame to the viewer between 24 to 60 times each second (depending on the format), 1080i presents the picture as 50 or 60 partial 540 line "fields" per second (24 complete 1080-line fields, or "24p" is included in the ATSC standard though) which the human eye or a deinterlacer built into the display device must visually and temporally combine to build a 1080 line picture - in CRT type display. To get all 1080 interlaced lines to appear on the screen at the same time on a progressive high-definition display, the processor within the HD set has to weave together both 540-line segments to form the full-resolution frame. It does so by holding the first field in its memory, receiving the next field, then electronically knitting the two fields together. The combined fields are displayed at once as a complete 1080p frame. The main tradeoff between the two is that 1080i may show more detail than 720p for a stationary shot of a subject at the expense of a lower effective refresh rate and the introduction of interlace artifacts during motion. 720p is used by ABC and ESPN because the smoother image is desirable for fast-action sports telecasts. Fox Broadcasting Company uses the tagline "the nation's finest high-definition standard" in advertising its 720p programming.

Like if your watching sports or action movies, the 1080i will blur the images and the 720p wont.

Nov 16, 2004
hella_numb said:
yeah but newer models got better picture and better options, but if it being new model or not doesnt matter then yeah get one in june. HD broadcasts are barely reaching 720p right now, its giong to be at least a year to see a 1080p HD show, and probably a good 2 years before a couple of of channels use 1080p reguglary. but when it does happen its nice to know you are ready for it.

1080i is not the same as 1080p, 1080p is the best on the market. lots of people and experts agree that 720p is better then 1080i.
How certain are you on the broadcasting of 1080p? I know come Feb 2009, analog will no longer be broadcasted and digital comes in full effect. I don't know if companies want to start broadcasting in 1080p in 2 years, because the majority of the customers will probably still have 1080i. That's the thing, most customers have 1080i and for stations to start broadcasting in 1080p it could have an adverse effect. And 1080i HDTV's are still selling strong.
And like you said, 1080p is good for TV's well over 40inches, companies have to consider how many of their customers will be ready for 1080p and how many of them will have well over 40" in their HDTV.

The sharp aquos is only 42" but it is 1080p, that's not much bigger than 40" and it'll be hard to see the "Full/True" HD. If I do go 1080p, it'll be 46" or higher, 46" if I get a really good deal otherwise it'll be 50" or higher.

Shit, now I'm really really really considering the Bravia 46". And by the time I need a 1080P TV, the price will drop heavily and I shouldn't have a hard time coppin by that time. The 46" Bravia will be a bedroom TV by then haha. Y'all opened up my eyes, good looking out.

Aug 7, 2003
smeezy said:
How certain are you on the broadcasting of 1080p? I know come Feb 2009, analog will no longer be broadcasted and digital comes in full effect. I don't know if companies want to start broadcasting in 1080p in 2 years, because the majority of the customers will probably still have 1080i. That's the thing, most customers have 1080i and for stations to start broadcasting in 1080p it could have an adverse effect. And 1080i HDTV's are still selling strong.
And like you said, 1080p is good for TV's well over 40inches, companies have to consider how many of their customers will be ready for 1080p and how many of them will have well over 40" in their HDTV.

The sharp aquos is only 42" but it is 1080p, that's not much bigger than 40" and it'll be hard to see the "Full/True" HD. If I do go 1080p, it'll be 46" or higher, 46" if I get a really good deal otherwise it'll be 50" or higher.

Shit, now I'm really really really considering the Bravia 46". And by the time I need a 1080P TV, the price will drop heavily and I shouldn't have a hard time coppin by that time. The 46" Bravia will be a bedroom TV by then haha. Y'all opened up my eyes, good looking out.
thats the thing with techonolgy, a year from now 1080p might not even be the best resolution out. and im not sure with the HD channels im just guessing. directv is supposed to have the most HD channels by the end of the year with around 100 channels. search those avsforums tho you will learn a lot. they are also coming out with these new OLED tv's that are supposed to knock down the prices on lcd's and plasmas. the OLED are supposed to be super thin, thinner then lcd.

Oct 18, 2003
hella_numb said:
you asked about it not me. and its nice to know what you are using. do you know whats in your computer? what engine is in your car? same difference.
i asked you for what? gaming or programing? it all depends.

i got both. i seen 720p, 1080i and 1080p

smeezy needs a tv and your telling him1080p will go out in a couple years. it took 5 years for 1080i to go out but now all they seem to be selling is 720p.

trust me i'll take 1080i anyday cause i know it's good theres nothing wrong with it.

it also depends on what your getting, lcd, projection lcd, crt, plasma ect.

not just numbers.

Nov 16, 2004
Tragedy said:
i would'nt get a westinghouse or a sharp sharp is the last thing i'd get with a somewhat brand name.

if anything i'd get a panasonic alot of picture for the buck. sony is overpriced.
The Sharp Aquos has a helluva picture, I'd say it's in there with Sony and Samsung as far as LCD's go. Samsung I know makes a lot of shit and I hear Sony used to use Samsung components in their TV's. I talked to a Sony rep like I said the other day and she said Sony, Samsung and I think Sharp shares some components with eachother. Of course she told me the other companies wanted the Bravia or Wega engine but they wouldn't give that up. She also told me Sony uses the most expensive parts, such as the LED's. I know it's biased but I bought into it.

Panasonic only makes plasmas and I'm not a fan of plasmas, I prefer durability. Plus I hear one gas leak and it's done for.

As far as price goes, Sony IS the most expensive, with good reason (some anyway), but you can't beat $1,750 for a 46inch LCD out the door. Price is a major determinant in my decision, and although Sony is expensive that price isn't.

Aug 7, 2003
Tragedy said:
i asked you for what? gaming or programing? it all depends.

i got both. i seen 720p, 1080i and 1080p

smeezy needs a tv and your telling him1080p will go out in a couple years. it took 5 years for 1080i to go out but now all they seem to be selling is 720p.

trust me i'll take 1080i anyday cause i know it's good theres nothing wrong with it.

it also depends on what your getting, lcd, projection lcd, crt, plasma ect.

not just numbers.
never said it was bad, just said it wasnt the best. id rather dish out the extra 300-400 dollars to get a 1080p tv so when 1080p does hit the market (as in channels) he doesnt need to buy anything new. and yeah 1080i is fine but if i had a tv that displayed both 1080i/720p id defiently use the 720p over the 1080i.

Oct 18, 2003
you can't choose, the box displays in what the programing offers that channel or program on. same with the games you play.

and smeezy like i said get a 1080p with hdmi outlets you'll be fine.

as far as panasonic i don't see em advertised too much nowdays maybe your right on the plasma thing.

i understand you want a BIG FUCK'N T.V. i guess thats what they got for that size.

i don't have that kind of room

but if i replaced one of my t.v.'s i'd definately get a panasonic. who knows i just might down the road. my only problem is getting rid of one of them.

Nov 16, 2004
hella_numb said:
thats the thing with techonolgy, a year from now 1080p might not even be the best resolution out. and im not sure with the HD channels im just guessing. directv is supposed to have the most HD channels by the end of the year with around 100 channels. search those avsforums tho you will learn a lot. they are also coming out with these new OLED tv's that are supposed to knock down the prices on lcd's and plasmas. the OLED are supposed to be super thin, thinner then lcd.
Yeah that's what sucks with technology and I'm a super bargain hunter. My bro bought a 42in Pana Plasma for $2,500 last summer. Now it's only $1,199. Damn haha. He got DirecTV with HD and that shit was hittin.

I forgot all about avsforums, last time I was there I was lookin up HDTV antennas. Yeah I read about the OLED TV's, I remember reading about the cons and it wasn't so good. But I read an article where Sony had a 27in prototype out and that bad motherfucker had a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, WTF!!! Thanks for reminding me, I'm going to look into it in avs.

Aug 7, 2003
smeezy said:
Yeah that's what sucks with technology and I'm a super bargain hunter. My bro bought a 42in Pana Plasma for $2,500 last summer. Now it's only $1,199. Damn haha. He got DirecTV with HD and that shit was hittin.

I forgot all about avsforums, last time I was there I was lookin up HDTV antennas. Yeah I read about the OLED TV's, I remember reading about the cons and it wasn't so good. But I read an article where Sony had a 27in prototype out and that bad motherfucker had a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, WTF!!! Thanks for reminding me, I'm going to look into it in avs.
hahah, everyone got that 42 inch panasonic plasma. my boy bought one, the dude sellin it had one, and one of his friends had one. then i tell my brother about it and his friend has the same one. im done with this thread tho.

Nov 16, 2004
Tragedy said:
you can't choose, the box displays in what the programing offers that channel or program on. same with the games you play.

and smeezy like i said get a 1080p with hdmi outlets you'll be fine.

as far as panasonic i don't see em advertised too much nowdays maybe your right on the plasma thing.

i understand you want a BIG FUCK'N T.V. i guess thats what they got for that size.

i don't have that kind of room

but if i replaced on of my t.v.'s i'd definately get a panasonic. who knows i just might down the road. my only problem is getting rid of one of them.
1080p TV's should already have HDMI outlets/inlets which ever, I'm not worried about that. And yeah you are right, you can't choose 720p over 1080i regarding TV channels since the stations decide which to broadcast but you can decide (I believe) when you have an HD-dvd upconverter. There's a lot of debate over the 720p vs. 1080i, I guess it all depends on the TV, the cables used and the quality of the receiver.

Also do any of you guys know about the ATSC tuner? Does it have the capabilities of a QAM tuner where you can tune into over the air HD through the cable from the wall without the need for an HD antenna?

Aug 7, 2003
smeezy said:
1080p TV's should already have HDMI outlets/inlets which ever, I'm not worried about that. And yeah you are right, you can't choose 720p over 1080i regarding TV channels since the stations decide which to broadcast but you can decide (I believe) when you have an HD-dvd upconverter. There's a lot of debate over the 720p vs. 1080i, I guess it all depends on the TV, the cables used and the quality of the receiver.

Also do any of you guys know about the ATSC tuner? Does it have the capabilities of a QAM tuner where you can tune into over the air HD through the cable from the wall without the need for an HD antenna?
ok, i lied but the directv HD box has a button on the front that you can change from 480p, 720i, 720p and 1080i. i dont know if it makes all the HD channels display in those or not but i would assume it would.

Oct 18, 2003
"1080i, I guess it all depends on the TV, the cables used and the quality of the receiver." smeez exatcly.

as for upconvert i would'nt go that route i bought a dvd recorder with upconvert last year. picture quality not worth it. it's a samsung.

blue ray and hd dvd have dropped a couple to a few hundred dollars already.

if your ready for one of those get the real thing.

Oct 18, 2003
hella_numb said:
ok, i lied but the directv HD box has a button on the front that you can change from 480p, 720i, 720p and 1080i. i dont know if it makes all the HD channels display in those or not but i would assume it would.
it does but you can't force it to use that signal. you'll still get what it's being sent on.