35TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE CHICANO MORATORIUM! Chicano/Mexican Self-Determination

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Gizmo

Sicc OG
Nov 8, 2002
35TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE CHICANO MORATORIUM! Chicano/Mexican Self-Determination

August 29th will mark the 35th anniversary of the Chicano Moratorium. Yes, thirty-five years ago over 20,000 people from all over the country united in East L.A. to demand justice. Some of the organizations present were MEChAs, Brown Berets, LUCHA, United Farm Workers (UFW) and many others. La Raza was there to protest the U.S. Goverment entanglement in Vietnam and the outrageous killing of Chicanos in the War. The issue was not anti-patriotic, but fairness in numbers.

According to documented fact gathered by Ralph Guzman, between 1961 and 1969, chicanos suffered 19.5 percent of those killed in Vietnam. While the Chicano population only numbered 10 percent of America's population. The Chicanos de Tejas sustained an alarming 25.5 percent. An outright racist attack on the youth of the barrios of Aztlan. Chicanos also cried out against cruel tactics by law enforment agents and the denial of equel education and jons. Remember in those days police and City departments did not actively recruit minorities.

August 29, 1970 was not an ordinary day in East L.A., it was the of the largest Chicano demonstration ever held against the war in Vietnam The demonstration involved a three mile march along Whittier Blvd. and a rally at Laguna Park ( now Ruben Salazar Park) in the heart of East L.A.. The march and rally had been peacefull without incident till the East L.A. Sherrif's stormed the demonstration using clubs, guns, tear-gas and mace to disperse a peaceful crowd. The violent attack on the Gente: men, women and children almost went undocumented. Only one television station, in all of Los Angeles, was present to cover the Chicano Moratorium, KMEX led by thier news directo and L.A. Times reporter Ruben Salazar. Salazar had taken the role of spke-person and was the most public of all Chicanos.

That day Ruben Salazar was nurdered in the Silver Dollar Cafe on Whittier Blvd. by L.A. Sherriffs who fired teartgas projectiles into the restaurant. Also killed that day in a seperate incident was a 15 year old Brown Beret youth from El Monte, Lyn ward, anothe victim of a teargas projectile which measures 10 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide. Also 30 year old Angel Diaz died as a result of bullet wounds fired by deputies as he allegedly ran a barricade. I addition hundreds were arrested, countless others were injured.

That was thirty five years ago and today as a race we must evaluate our Political and Socio-economic status. What have we done to improve our status as a People. Can we do more. Is the movement that was started by the Moratorium still active and are we still suffering from the same agonies? Are we doing all we can to Better ourself and preserve our Heritage?

Sep 6, 2004
theres always something todo.... Us as nothern californians must support the UFW because thats a big part of nothern califas chicano history.

Jul 30, 2003
good read gizmo, are you in any political groups like MECha? well, i say this movement should be ressurected, because there are now over 1,800 deaths in iraq and in those there are many chicanos, who were lied to about money for college and a bright future. we need a mass anti-war movement, like in the sixties and seventies.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
GORDOE said:
good read gizmo, are you in any political groups like MECha? well, i say this movement should be ressurected, because there are now over 1,800 deaths in iraq and in those there are many chicanos, who were lied to about money for college and a bright future. we need a mass anti-war movement, like in the sixties and seventies.
Agreed 100%. I'm attending Sacramento State and am in a group similar to MECha called the Brown Syndicate. It's all about helping out our people and organizing. It shoulda happened in the 60's, but we gotta do our job now and be ready for the revolution when it comes around.

Gizmo

Sicc OG
Nov 8, 2002
Im Indendent in that I dont officially belong to any group. I keep up on things dealing with my culture though. I have participated in numerous events with UFW, MECha and evn some old school Brown Priders.

Sep 9, 2004
I KNOW THIS IS A MUSIC FORUM BUT I CANT HELP BUT FEEL A LIL BIT DISAPPOINTED THAT THIS THREAD HASNT GOTTEN AS MANY HITS AS IT SHOULD. INSTEAD OF DISCUSSING GAY SHIT LIKE LIL ROB AND NEW WORLD ORDER BULLSHIT AKA SHIT WE CANT SEE, WONT BE ABLE TO CHANGE...THIS THREAD SHOULD BE MADE VITAL AND SHOULD STAY GETTIN HITS. ALOT OF PEOPLE FEEL LIKE ENES HAVE STOLEN THEIR LOGO AND TWISTED IT. AND COMING FROM A NEUTRAL STANDPOINT I COULD SEE WHY. HOW MANY HOMEBOYS DO YOU SEE AT ANY FUNCTIONS THAT ARE FOR THE RAZA? FEW TO NONE! SO THE OLDER FOLKS THINK THE YOUNGSTAS DONT KNOW SHIT AND JUST SPORT THE EAGLE BECAUSE IT LOOKS COOL. AND SOMETIMES THAT IS THE CASE...CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, I BEEN GONE FROM CALI FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS SO I'M SPEAKING ON WHAT I SAW THEN.

NO DISRESPECT,
THE MONEY_SLAVE_209

Nov 8, 2002
There is some truth in that. I feel that you should always know your roots/History.

I just started to get my tat of Zapata and I get alot of Mexicans saying "Is that Pancho Villa?" cause they dont even know about Emiliano Zapata. Funny yet sad.

It isnt finished.....