2014 BMW 4-series Debuts: Four is Better than Three, Right?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
2014 BMW 4-series Debuts: Four is Better than Three, Right?

It's not a 3-series anymore, except it is.

For more than 20 years, BMW's most visible coupe was sold as the 3-series. This made lots of sense, as the car is and always has been based on the 3-series sedan. Meanwhile, Audi launched the A4-based A5 coupe, and Mercedes-Benz was brazen enough to come up with a C-class–based coupe and badge it as an E-class. With the 4-series, which is scheduled to hit dealerships later this summer, BMW is following the competition’s lead in creating a unique moniker for many of its body styles. We suspect that the decision was not an easy one, as there are few nameplates in the business that possess as much recognition and brand equity as 3-series.

The Concept 4-series Coupe at the 2013 Detroit auto show provided the thinnest veil imaginable, and the production car remains reasonably close both to its predecessor and to the current 3-series sedan. Its proportions, however, have changed, but for the better. The 4-series is significantly lower and wider than the outgoing 3-series coupe, and also slightly longer in overall length and wheelbase. The new shape is strikingly beautiful, but it makes the 4-series a substantially larger car. Despite its added girth, BMW says its new coupe is as much as 100 pounds lighter than the last-gen two-door 3-series.

At launch, the 4-series comes with two proven engines: the 240-hp, 2.0-liter turbo four in the 428i and the 300-hp, turbocharged 3.0-liter straight-six in the 435i. These are the same engines offered in the 3-series, where we were more than satisfied with their performances. A stop-start system is standard on both models. BMW says that 0–60 will take 5.0 seconds in the 435i when equipped with the standard eight-speed automatic; opting for the no-cost-option six-speed manual adds three-tenths to the time. The 428i needs 5.7 seconds to do the deed, according to the manufacturer, regardless of transmission choice. BMW offers its xDrive all-wheel-drive system as a $2000 option for both models, but it is available on the four-cylinder car only when the automatic transmission is specified.

Beginning with the parameters and components of the 3-series, the chassis of the 4-series has been significantly reworked, BMW says, for added agility. The center of gravity is lower than on any other BMW today, the front section of the car has been stiffened, and the steering and front suspension has been tweaked to generate significantly more direct responses to steering input, as BMW says—a tacit admission that there was room to improve upon the steering of the 3-series.

The 4-series offers three trim levels past the base car: the conservatively styled Luxury, the mid-level Sport, and the full-athlete M Sport. (The contemporarily styled Modern trim level won’t come stateside, which is a bit of a shame.) A gluttony of high-tech gadgetry is available, although most of it is optional. The collection of gizmos includes the latest and greatest in telematics and connectivity, a handwriting-recognizing touch pad on top of the iDrive knob, and full LED headlights. The trunk can by opened by a wave of a foot underneath the bumper if the operator’s hands are full; it’s a practical—if not necessarily graceful—way to open the luggage compartment.

Pricewise, the 4-series lands slightly north of the outgoing 3-series coupe. The 428i starts at $41,425, while the 328i coupe rang the register at a mere $39,625—and it came with a naturally aspirated straight-six rather than a force-fed four-banger. The 435i is priced at $46,925, up from the predecessor's $46,025. But, hey, having a 4 at the beginning of the badge should impress the neighbors. Down the road, we’ll be treated to a 4-series cabriolet and a four-door 4-series Gran Coupe. Those models will join this new 4-series as well as the 3-series, the 3-series Sports Wagon, and the 3-series Gran Turismo. Maybe the 4-series nomenclature isn’t all that bad after all; without it, we may have been confused by all of BMW’s new variants.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mU-_JC67PE[/video]

Props: martin_07n

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
China is a big market.
And the city I live in is the biggest market in China for luxury cars...

It's crazy though, they have huge import taxes on these cars. They cost more than double here in China than what they cost in the US. So if you see a Bentley here (and I see a lot), you know they paid for two to drive one...

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
And the city I live in is the biggest market in China for luxury cars...

It's crazy though, they have huge import taxes on these cars. They cost more than double here in China than what they cost in the US. So if you see a Bentley here (and I see a lot), you know they paid for two to drive one...

Do imports rule over there or domestics?

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Do imports rule over there or domestics?
China is about showing off and "having face". So if you have a bit of money, you buy BMW, Benz, Audi, or Porsche (they love the Cayenne, and the Panamera). Made in Germany has a big reputation here. Most people drive VW or Japanese cars though. Then American (Buick selling the most I think), Chinese, and Korean cars I'd say. There are more and more Chinese cars though.

You can see some super sports cars all the time though, as well as the luxury cars. Maserati, Bentley, Rolls, Lambo, Ferrari...

This however also depends on which city you live in...

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
Sick, it's one thing reading about shit like this from some magazine...and its a whole different thing hearin about it from someone who actually lives over there....even crazier cause it's on the sicc!..lol

Interesting... So you see all the Chinese knock offs too I assume?

R

Sicc OG
Dec 7, 2005
when i saw the thread i thought wtf a 4 series

it looks nice and i would get one over a 3 series just because the 4 sounds different

R

Sicc OG
Dec 7, 2005
DuceTheTruth @DuceTheTruth , do you watch Top Gear? I swear those presenters have the best job in the world.

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
DuceTheTruth @DuceTheTruth , do you watch Top Gear? I swear those presenters have the best job in the world.

I watch it from time to time. I just hate it when they bash the damn cars lol. I'm always thinkin like damn they coulda gave me that damn car! Stupid I kno, but yea.

But as far as a job tho, hell yea that shit seems cool. Buy vehicles and bumpercar them bitches to death...talkin shit the whole time....

And do it all over again....I'd do it.