The film, released by Universal Pictures, follows iconic rap group N.W.A from its scrappy beginnings in Compton in the mid-’80s to its unlikely success and the death of member Eazy-E. The musical biopic far exceeded tracking expectations, debuting with $56.1 million. L.A. was the biggest market “by far,” said Nicholas Carpou, Universal Pictures’ head of domestic distribution.
According to Universal, the top 10 theaters for “Straight Outta Compton” ticket sales on opening weekend were:
1. Regal Atlantic Station in Atlanta
2. Regal L.A. Live Stadium14
3. AMC Burbank *
4. Arclight Hollywood
5. AMC Orange 30
6. Edwards Long Beach Stadium 26
7. Pacific Theatres at the Grove
8. AMC Ontario Mills 30
9. Arclight Sherman Oaks
10. Cinemark 18 in L.A.’s Westchester neighborhood
* AMC and box office analyst Rentrak count AMC Burbank 16 and AMC Town Center 6 Burbank as a single location.
For more news on the entertainment industry, follow me @saba_h