Los Angeles (AFP) – Rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight was taken to hospital for the third time in less than a month Monday, as he made his latest appearance in court.
“At this time, I don’t know if I can proceed,” he told LA Superior Court judge James Brandlin at Monday’s hearing, which was cut short after Knight said he had fired his attorneys.
Knight was seeking to have two cases against him — for robbery and the hit-and-run, held separately in courts outside Los Angeles — assigned to one judge in downtown LA itself.
Telling the judge about his health woes, he said he was “100 percent blind in one eye,” losing vision in the other, and was sometimes disoriented.
“Sometimes I can’t comprehend what’s going on,” he said, recalling that he had been shot six times in an LA nightclub shooting in August.
The judge repeatedly warned Knight not to interrupt him, seeking to speak directly to his lawyers, David Kenner and Brett Greenfield.
But Knight told the judge: “I fired these attorneys,” before adding: “I can’t speak. I can’t get medical attention” and saying he might have to represent himself.
Brandlin announced the transfer of Knight’s separate cases to another judge for “ease of staffing and security” — but before that could happen it was announced that Knight had been taken to hospital again.