The Mars Volta- The Bedlam In Goliath

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Alright I'm up to track 2 is this is fucking rad. A lot more De-Loused than Amputechture.

It is a "concept album" based off of a story that has to do with an archaic Ouija board that Omar bought in Israel gave to Cedric, and the misfortune it seemed to cause the band
"Aberinkula" – 5:47
"Metatron" – 8:13
"Ilyena" – 5:38
"Wax Simulacra" – 2:41
"Goliath" – 7:17
"Tourniquet Man" – 2:40
"Cavalettas" – 9:35
"Agadez" – 6:45
"Askepios" – 6:30
"Ouroboros" – 6:38
"Soothsayer" – 9:10
"Conjugal Burns" – 6:36

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Sweet thanks man.
And yeah, I'd say the same. lol every person I've talked to including myself has said they thought while Calvettas was playing it was 3 or 4 different songs.
Goliath and Metatron are my favorites so far.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
Here guys, direct to my server, should be fast as hell.

http://www.lindesignz.com/files/mp3/marsbedlam.zip

u can edit the first post and put it in there if you want, it aint going down :)

The cd rocks btw. Its the best "since" de-loused, im not gonna do a 1v1 comparison until I listen to this more than once, haha.

Thanks! Mighty kind of you. I never heard any of their music so, i'll see how this goes.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Here's the whole story of how the album came about.

On a trip in Jerusalem, Rodriguez-Lopez purchased an archaic ouija-type talking board at a curio shop as a gift for Bixler-Zavala. They would return to their tour bus after shows to play with it during their 2006 tour with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, as it quickly became the band's post-show ritual. Dubbed "The Soothsayer", the board revealed stories, gave names and made demands, as the band was contacted by three different people who appeared in the form of one, whom was then referred to as "Goliath". The more the band had interacted with "The Soothsayer", otherworldly coincidences began plaguing the band's experience writing and recording The Bedlam in Goliath: Deantoni Parks—their current drummer at the time—had quit mid-tour and left the band with financial troubles; Bixler-Zavala wound up needing surgery performed on his foot due to the shoes he had been wearing, forcing him to relearn how to walk post-surgery; audio tracks sporadically and literally disappeared off the screens; Rodriguez-Lopez's home studio flooded and had been subject to multiple power outages; and the album's original engineer had gone through a nervous breakdown, leaving behind all previous work with no notes as to where anything was. Rodriguez-Lopez was nearly on the brink of starting over from scratch, but instead kept on with the recruitment of Robert Carranza as the replacement engineer, along with assistance from Lars Stalfors and Isaiah Abolin. Midway through the recording sessions, Rodriguez-Lopez buried "The Soothsayer" as an attempt to undo the curse and halt the unforeseen tragedies, who ended the ordeal by swearing never to give away the whereabouts of its burial, and also asking the band not to speak of it again during the remainder of the album's production.
Bixler-Zavala incorporated themes and names into the lyrics that were taken from messages given by "The Soothsayer", also including excerpts from poems that were found attached to the ouija, describing a love triangle between a woman, her daughter and a man. Each song reinterprets the relationship in some shape or form, and as a good luck charm to counteract the cryptic themes, Bixler-Zavala incorporated elements of the Afro-Caribbean religious tradition Santería into the lyrics as a "protective skin" to protect the band.
The album ultimately serves as an attempt to artistically reverse their perceived bad luck by "setting traps" for the listeners to use as a way to undo what "The Soothsayer" had brought upon the band. To aid the concept, vinyl editions of the album contain the band's own version of the ouija inside the gatefold.

lol fucking crazy

Mar 13, 2003
Damn....I was hoping this album was coming out sooner than later!...I know im going to enjoy this from beginning to end!!!

May 9, 2002
I like this album...some of the vocals are weird....but i started to like them. Its got a funky vibe to it and some of the guitar riffs are sick.

I may have to go back and give their other two a listen (i already have deloused). I just DL'd De Facto and At The Drive In to see what tis like compared to this stuff.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Yeah, this album is SO much better then Frances and Amputechture. I'm going to give it another spin on the bus today on the way to work.

In my opinon ATDI > TMV. They are so different though it's hard to compare. ATDI was just a lot more consistent as I like all their albums. Where TMV was like amazing debut, decent second album, third meh, and now this one is pretty fucking good.

I really couldn't get into De Facto much but you can hear the basis for TMV in their music.

Kyle

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
I prefer the last two albums moreso than their debut and I never cared much for ATDI but Mars Volta are certainly one of my favourite bands out right now.
I'm not gonna check the leak yet though and will pick it up when I come across it