Why rappers in the bay never make it!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 16, 2002
Bay cats don't get big for a couple reasons. 1. They do not form a solid team to run their business. No major label is gonna support, finance and co-sign something with no infrastructure. The two essentials to any artist like a real manager, a real entertainment attorney 2. Terrible business decisions. Bay artist always go for the immediate dollar. From doing features with wack artist to shows with bad promoters in horrible venues. If the only reason you are doing a collab or show is cuz of the money then you shouldn't be doing it. The top artist in the game don't just rap with anybody or just do any show. And that should be the same on a lower level for top Bay artist 3. Waiting for the industry to come to the Bay Area. The industry is ran out of NYC and L.A. You can make music anywhere in the universe, and have your fan base anywhere in the universe but if you want to network with important industry folks, get national press it's in new york and LA. So if you have no buzz what so ever in NYC or LA how would the industry know or even care? And there is two types of buzz, fan buzz and industry buzz. If your fan buzz is big enough then it will create a industry buzz in NYC and LA. You would be amazed how many heads of A&R at labels know about bay artist and want to sign them but because of these things they don't. Remember if they sign too many artist that flop they do loose their job so A&R's usually go for the job safe signings. So Bay artist I just gave ya'll more free game. Please give your self a chance and realize if you want something you have to go get it. Don't expect it to come to you and then complain when it doesn't.

A million props Amigo!

Feb 9, 2012
real shit bruh not enough hours in the day to do both thats why some niggaz dont rap not ta mention all the music videos if any nigga that say he rappin and on da block lyin unless he got niggaz supplyin even then you need ta be on yo shit you cant do both
Maybe but then how do you explain the number of albums and mixtapes he releases? He had 8 albums and mixtapes last year if I count them correctly.

That's true for a lot of rappers, BTW - every year you release between 5 and 10 solo albums and mixtapes, plus group releases, plus features, you do a bunch of shows; when exactly do you have time do be out there on the street and be "active beyond rap"? And I am not saying this because I care about the street cred and authenticity of artists, I couldn't care less, all I want is some good music, but one can't help but wonder.

Nov 28, 2011
There are a lot of Bay Area artists and groups from the beginning to present that have made it already and will continue to do so.

I say if a Bay Area artist gets any national or worldwide success at some point in their career(s) than they officially "made it" but some may disagree.

Is any success for a Bay artist considered "making it" and what sets the criteria for a bay area artist or group?

Dec 2, 2006
Bay cats don't get big for a couple reasons. 1. They do not form a solid team to run their business. No major label is gonna support, finance and co-sign something with no infrastructure. The two essentials to any artist like a real manager, a real entertainment attorney 2. Terrible business decisions. Bay artist always go for the immediate dollar. From doing features with wack artist to shows with bad promoters in horrible venues. If the only reason you are doing a collab or show is cuz of the money then you shouldn't be doing it. The top artist in the game don't just rap with anybody or just do any show. And that should be the same on a lower level for top Bay artist 3. Waiting for the industry to come to the Bay Area. The industry is ran out of NYC and L.A. You can make music anywhere in the universe, and have your fan base anywhere in the universe but if you want to network with important industry folks, get national press it's in new york and LA. So if you have no buzz what so ever in NYC or LA how would the industry know or even care? And there is two types of buzz, fan buzz and industry buzz. If your fan buzz is big enough then it will create a industry buzz in NYC and LA. You would be amazed how many heads of A&R at labels know about bay artist and want to sign them but because of these things they don't. Remember if they sign too many artist that flop they do loose their job so A&R's usually go for the job safe signings. So Bay artist I just gave ya'll more free game. Please give your self a chance and realize if you want something you have to go get it. Don't expect it to come to you and then complain when it doesn't.
Alot of you artists need to write this down and memorize it. He gave you one for free, real talk.

Apr 20, 2005
i think alot of the bay's beats suck. i know people dont like to think that beats are important but i think they are. anybody here listen accapellas lately? both lyrics and beats are important but im not gonna listen to MC Crazy Flows and MC Metaphor Galore spit some of the most intelligently fire spitting microphone piledriving lyrics on a wack ass beat. fuck that man. and i dont give a fuck if Jesus Christ himself was sittin in the studio with the Dr Dre headphones on clickin on squares on fruity loops or logic pro or reason or even if he was tappin away on his mpc 8000xxxl or yamaha 7500XVWSR keyboard. if its wack its wack. oh boy if i knew karate. i would kick myself in the fuckin ears everytime i hear some wack shit. god damn me

Apr 20, 2005
dont lock it im not done yet! i still hav some more pointless retarted shit to say. i swear if anyone locks this thread im gonna start a new one with the same god damm title.

Sep 25, 2008
The A's were on TVT Records and tvt went bankrupt. They had other artist as well like Ying Yang twinz and Magic (from No Limit).

Ha, yeah that's what it was, TVT had a roster on their list if I can recall it right. Didn't know they went bankrupt cause after the hype that amounted to nothing, I stopped trying to keep up. But yeah, they still could've made moves after TVT went bankrupt.

Sep 25, 2008

Preach.