WHAT IS CONSIDERED BLOWIN UP IN DAGO?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 27, 2005
I think that we have to lower the standards for what is considered blowin up in Dago. I was justed asked this question by one of the legendary rappers in the region and it motivated me to start this thread. I feel as long as somebody or an entire pack of artists make sales comparable of others west coast regions underground wise, then that would equal blowin up in this era of hip hop. I dont see a rapper going platinum but Mitchy Slick looks like the best candidate to at least move over six figures because of his networking and exposure. Until the world is ready to hear the west coast, I dont think it would be fair to expect much more than that. But who knows, Dago rap could be the spark to ignite the renewed interest in the west. Give me feedback............

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
im not sure if this is related but i noticed dago artists are do it yourself people, they are hard on the hustle and realize, if they can eliminate having to pay someone, whether it be beats studio, graphics, they will do it themselves, so there profit margin is greater wich most times compromises quality.If they thought in terms of themselves as a company and invested in themselves, and werent looking for quik money but long money it may help.Ive bought alot of dago rap as well as other independents in cali.i wont mention no names cause i respect them, but when purchasing a c.d, with mediocre beats, and poor sound quality, a consumer may feel cheated, but put forth a great effort wich should be apparent when listening( even if it can be a little better) you may get a fan for life, just cause i know you aint hold back.if you have a name and I buy your c.d, and the quality is subpar, Its pretty much done, it shows you care more about the money then the product and your carreer will probably be shortened.Its funny I cant list the names of examples but alot of artists/ producers are big egos and get sensitive over honest criticism.When i drop my shit i want the truth, so i can fix any problems or work to put a better product out, but unlike alot of people i payed a pretty penny for beats and recorded in professional studio, not knokin on home studios, if you capable then do it, but majority aint

I-ROCC

CEO of Money Hungry/Hottest Underground N**ga in t
May 5, 2002
LUNICOLEONE.COM
50cal I agree with u totally....that is the smartest and truest thing I've ever heard u say since you've been on the siccness...I love and respect every dago nigga that does music..I've never charged a dago nigga a dime to do music...and I've fucced with damn near everyone...rather on their shit or havin them on my shit....but I really stand firm on the fact that if we stop trying to compete with eachother and start trying to race with industry niggaz to the best of our ability...a wider scale of people/rap fans will start to take notice and buy records....that's what I have ALWAYS done and I've been winning far as me as an artist and my label...penny pinching won't get it...if u r going to do it ,do it all the way right....buy good beats (u get what u pay for period!),take your music to the big room to the big boards and get a good mix down(u get what u pay for ) pay a graphic designer 500$ get a good cover and c.d layout...make our shit look good sitting on the shelves next to these other niggaz c.d's...not just the homie cuz he can make covers and he gonna do it jus outta love(u get what u pay for)...I mean if the disire of your heart is makin this a career and u wanna "get on" let's build our best presentation to the country and then try to sell it.....and I know that's not everybody's agenda so of course I'm not talkin to you....but for all those that think dago is slept on and we need to be "here" and "there" its certain things we gotta do different/right....and I'm speaking as a whole city....me myself I think I'm hella dope and I have faith in myself so I'm not scared to bite the bullet and use my better judgement and spend money where I feel its a right step towards the industry....that's why I haven't dropped my record....I'm REALLY GONNA PRACTICE WHAT I PREACH..radio,viynl,mag ads,interviews ,promo tour,street teams etc.....and I want all my niggaz to be on that same hype....we'll get there a lot faster... if we don't have enough gas in the car to drive to the industry ...lets wait a while stacc our chips fill the tank...and push solid records with the complete paccage and we'll cracc for sure

Jun 8, 2005
I think Dago could really begin to move units if unity started coming into the picture. I've been hearing alot of talent coming out of dago. Real talent, not just anybody spitting on the mic. We've got alot of artists that have talent but don't work together (not all but some). Mitchy Slick, Jayo Felony, I-Rocc, Complex, (<---Both Which I Just recently started to listen and hear about ---->) Bloc Runnaz. They all got appeal and bring something different. Mitchy is way gangsta but he pulls it off real nice, Jayo is the blend between both lyrical and Gangsta, I-Rocc gots appeal to alot of niggaz because of the flow, delivery and grind. Complex has the lyrical capabilities from the little I've heard and he's aside from the average just gangsta nigga rapping bout his block. Bloc Runnaz have got some of the nicest punchlinez a nigga'z even heard from dago and that's judging off of maybe 4 or so tracks I've heard from them. If u mix them up u got a perfect combonation for collabs but maybe I just see it from a fans point of view and I'm sure it's different once your the one rapping but come on niggaz need to focus on $$$$$ and I think unity is where it's at. If I didn't mention your name don't take it personal I just wanted to use a couple names that represent each side of this rap game.

Sep 16, 2003
yeah, that's true to a certain extent. i'm definitely going to work with i-rocc, i'm down to work with whoever is tight and takes this shit seriously. alot of niggas out here aint real rappers. alot of these niggas just started rappin' as a hustle, but they don't take the music seriously. when you have talent and you take the music seriously, you will have longevity and the money will come with that if you hustle and make good decisions. but besides for workin' with other dago artists, we need to be working with niggas that's already in the industry! niggas that already got a name and credibility. if you doin' songs with niggas thats in the game, then that raises your credibility. you will then be exposed to another fan base and the industry might take you halfway seriously. my biggest challenge right now is gettin' my chips together so that i can get a sixteen from certain niggas. now don't get me wrong, it's not all about features, cause you need to put money and time into promoting the product. just like i-rocc said. the street teams, commercials, doin' shows, traveling gets expensive sometimes, but you have to be willing to spend on that type of shit. the t-shirts, giving out free promotional shit. it's so much involved in this, that's why you have to be really invested in your music. having that extra shit will separate you from most of the niggas that call themselves rappers. another issue is that alot of niggas have a very "local" mentality. they think local and act local. they need to realize that dago is not the whole world. i just came from pheonix 2 weeks ago and it just made me realize how small my career is right now. nobody out there don't give a fuck about what block i'm from, they want to listen to good music! my little dago world is soooo fuckin' small! i'll be damned if i go out as just a local artist. i've been rappin' for 14 years, so i take it more serious than some. it takes talent, money, hustle and it won't hurt to have some sense. alot of niggas is just plain ignorant and do stupid shit or have fucked up personalities that hold them back. peace.

Sep 16, 2003
MISTER R.BETA said:
Who are these people that make it so hard for Dago? Can we put some names out there so we can know where the problems coming from?

Lets flush these guys out!
I don't want to start no unneccessary shit, but they know who they are, cause right now they're getting that funny feeling inside and their blood pressure is rising! But on the real, keep doin' what you do, cause yall niggas is doin' it the right way. Niggas like you, I-Rocc, Mitchy, etc...yall are always makin' progress. Peace.

May 30, 2002
www.betabossalini.com
complex said:
I don't want to start no unneccessary shit, but they know who they are, cause right now they're getting that funny feeling inside and their blood pressure is rising! But on the real, keep doin' what you do, cause yall niggas is doin' it the right way. Niggas like you, I-Rocc, Mitchy, etc...yall are always makin' progress. Peace.
good lookin! I feel the same about u. I peep your movement, but im ready to expose these guys that are holdin the movement back, its nothin personal just buisness!

I would love to expose these guys right now myself but my weight aint up yet....after this Sugafree album tho! It'll be an honor to pull they skirts up!....even some of my own homies is gon get it, im spairring no feelings & i hope niggaz do the same wit me!

May 2, 2005
I-ROCC said:
50cal I agree with u totally....that is the smartest and truest thing I've ever heard u say since you've been on the siccness...I love and respect every dago nigga that does music..I've never charged a dago nigga a dime to do music...and I've fucced with damn near everyone...rather on their shit or havin them on my shit....but I really stand firm on the fact that if we stop trying to compete with eachother and start trying to race with industry niggaz to the best of our ability...a wider scale of people/rap fans will start to take notice and buy records....that's what I have ALWAYS done and I've been winning far as me as an artist and my label...penny pinching won't get it...if u r going to do it ,do it all the way right....buy good beats (u get what u pay for period!),take your music to the big room to the big boards and get a good mix down(u get what u pay for ) pay a graphic designer 500$ get a good cover and c.d layout...make our shit look good sitting on the shelves next to these other niggaz c.d's...not just the homie cuz he can make covers and he gonna do it jus outta love(u get what u pay for)...I mean if the disire of your heart is makin this a career and u wanna "get on" let's build our best presentation to the country and then try to sell it.....and I know that's not everybody's agenda so of course I'm not talkin to you....but for all those that think dago is slept on and we need to be "here" and "there" its certain things we gotta do different/right....and I'm speaking as a whole city....me myself I think I'm hella dope and I have faith in myself so I'm not scared to bite the bullet and use my better judgement and spend money where I feel its a right step towards the industry....that's why I haven't dropped my record....I'm REALLY GONNA PRACTICE WHAT I PREACH..radio,viynl,mag ads,interviews ,promo tour,street teams etc.....and I want all my niggaz to be on that same hype....we'll get there a lot faster... if we don't have enough gas in the car to drive to the industry ...lets wait a while stacc our chips fill the tank...and push solid records with the complete paccage and we'll cracc for sure

You gonna Cracc homie 4 the simple fact you more than serious about your grind, plus u making the right decisions and you reaching out 2 other niggas at the same time helping them out and helping yourself at the same time, that shit in itself is gonna pay off Loc, On the "C"! Your dead pan seriousness had a nigga rollin on that "Rap or Die" DVD though, you gave up a whole lot of GAME that you didn't have to and I wuz impressed like a muphucca, the thing that get me though is they got wacc ass southern muthaphuccas like Young Jeezy and the Ying Yang Twins pushin them like them ignorant ass niggas is really hot, that shit is hot fuccin garbage! Yall cats just be ready cuz the game is gonna come bacc around and when it do? Dago gotta rush that muthaphuccas like mad doggs possessed!!

May 24, 2002
www.cinsityrecords.com
Ya'll just stay doin what ya'll doin...I live in Vegas and other than the big niggas (Snoop, Dre, Game) the only representation I hear from Southern Cali is Dago...Between the names ya'll already listed and the Ese's who doin it, it seems ya'llz city has a thriving music scene.

Jun 9, 2004
I-ROCC said:
if we don't have enough gas in the car to drive to the industry
shit, sometimes i aint got enough gas in the car to drive to the studio! & thats real. anyway..... what these rappers need to do is get a QUALITY catologue. get 3 cds that look REAL nice & hit up a distributor the way CASH MONEY did...... they're music sucks & they got like 3 million to start their lable. & they were smart with it, inhouse studio... inhouse producer. & just did the N.O. shit that they always did.... & those idiots blew the fuck up & probably kept 2.5 million as prophit.

its more than just unity to get blown. master p blew, which got attention drew for the whole south/new orleans. thats what someone where needs to do.... jayo had a chance & he fucked himself & our city in the process.

i also think that lable heads dont think SHIT is going down in DAGo: look at the BIG NAMERS of hip-hop that came from dago - JAYO (he aint doing shit now), - NICK CANNON (that dudes ass & dont rep shit), - & HERBY HANDCOCK (Rock It! hahaha).

folks need to rep this city in EVERY track, not just their hood. u think JIMMY IOVINE knows where the fuck LINCOLN PARK is or what a NBH is? fuck no....... but im sure he passed 2nd grade geography & knows there is a city named SAN DIEGO.
THE BAY did their thing without set repping.
LA did their thing without (too much) set repping.

shits getting rediculous. i get looked at funy from the asian fucker at Fam Bam if i buy a MITCHY cd the same time i buy a JAYO cd. "CHU NO DOSE GEYEZ AW FROM DIFFREENT GEENGS, RIIIIIGH?"

shut the fuck up & bag my shit. :chinese:

May 24, 2002
www.cinsityrecords.com
FREAKS said:
..... what these rappers need to do is get a QUALITY catologue. get 3 cds that look REAL nice & hit up a distributor the way CASH MONEY did...... they're music sucks & they got like 3 million to start their lable. & they were smart with it, inhouse studio... inhouse producer. & just did the N.O. shit that they always did.... & those idiots blew the fuck up & probably kept 2.5 million as prophit.

You are seriously mis-informed......Cash Money had a gang of releases and had sold hundreds of thousands of records before they got their deal

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
Southeast Unite said:
I think that we have to lower the standards for what is considered blowin up in Dago. I was justed asked this question by one of the legendary rappers in the region and it motivated me to start this thread. I feel as long as somebody or an entire pack of artists make sales comparable of others west coast regions underground wise, then that would equal blowin up in this era of hip hop. I dont see a rapper going platinum but Mitchy Slick looks like the best candidate to at least move over six figures because of his networking and exposure. Until the world is ready to hear the west coast, I dont think it would be fair to expect much more than that. But who knows, Dago rap could be the spark to ignite the renewed interest in the west. Give me feedback............
Blowin up "IN" Dago....

To me that would include like you said above..networkin, exposure...just basically gettin a name out there for yourself so you could go pretty much anywhere in the city and people have heard your music and might even have the cd or some trakks burned off of it. I think Mitchy has Definatly done that..along with Jayo. So im guessin when you get to that "GHETTO CELEBERTY" status...thats when you've blown up "in" SD

Mr Ceza

Xplosive Magazine
Jul 10, 2002
Base blowning up on a distribution scale, or does your name come up in other cities, on other cities artist' albums??? Can you sell your CD to another City out of your Region. In the Bay, Sacramento, Portland, Kansas City, Denver, etc.....

Jun 9, 2004
SirPlayboy7 said:
You are seriously mis-informed......Cash Money had a gang of releases and had sold hundreds of thousands of records before they got their deal
YEAH, CUZ IM SURE RAPPERS/LABLES NEVER OVER-EXAGGERATE TO GET THEIR DEALS IN THE 1ST PLACE.

they probably sold thousands....20, maybe even 30 thousand..... i can honestly doubt they sold HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS. & you missed my point. you need to get a quality catelogue & approach a distrobutor.