we need bigger record companies here in the bay instead of hundreds of little ones

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Let me pipe in real quick. First of all, the majority of bay artists can't even spell BMI or ASCAP. Without proper knowledge of how publishing works, how funds are distributed etc, you'll simply have a roster of artists who are complaining about why they have no money. Second of all, it takes time and resources to properly promote an artist, the image/persona of the artist and to make that image or persona a marketable commodity. Third of all, there are only one or two labels out here in the bay that concentrate on *****ing. One is currently misusing the situation while the other is exploiting it to the max and generating profits.

Now my question is where would these bigger companies come from? Who is going to fund the money for recording budgets (mixing, mastering, replication, vinyl pressing etc)? Who is going to fund the money for the graphics department? How will the publishing be distributed amongst those entitled to it, who is going to pay for tour support? Who is going to pay for advertisement, promotions and art work? Who is going to put the money up to protect the investment (because thats what it is an investment), from copyright infirngement boot legging/piracy? What will happen when people use copyrighted material for their mixtapes? Will the labels out here turn a blind eye or get a nigga's throat with a knife? What about lawyer fee's? whos going to pay for that?

Now several people here are complaining about the hyphy movement and how it has caused a problem, but blame also needs to be placed elsewhere. Since when did it become cool or accepted to be a JUNKY? You fans need to start getting stomped out, because the majority of the blame falls on your shoulders. You are the ones who can implement quality control and say NO, but what do you do? You hop on the bandwagon like lemmings, become hypnotized by fads, and accept the garbage that is force fed to you by major and indie labels. You don't want any quality control, and you don't want better music, for if you did, a lot of people thats "up" wouldn't even be on right now.

And yes, it is possible to sell more than 40, it has been done before (past albums), but when people who understand the business and can implement tactics to make the plan work are ostracized or UNDERFUNDED you are left with just another bay album that won't do anything.

And no, a distribution deal is not the only thing the bay area needs. Wal-Mart is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) retailer of music in america. How many Bay CD's do they carry? How many of them are heavily censored?

In addition, like someone previously told me before. Bay music is an acquired taste. There is nothing new under the sun, and chances are you are going to rap about the same shit as someone else, but put YOUR spin on it. Make the shit unique.

Moreover, there needs to be quality control in the PRODUCING, RECORDING, MIXING and MASTERING process. The majority of music out here is synthesized and coming from workstations. You don't hear much "music" like chord progressions, crescendo playing, plucking etc. The mixes are static (meaning there is no dynamics) and at the end of the day the cd's are mastered so loud they are squashed due to over compression.

Someone mentioned the compilation game and how that has fucked shit up, but what about the mixtape game? Is the mixtape game really helping the artist or is the mixtape game helping out these dj's? I'm gonna keep it real with you cats, how many BLACK or LATINO dj's do you have in the bay right now? Think about it.

So when topics like this are discussed, make sure you thouchdown on some of the REAL problems instead of dancing around the subject.

Now if anyone reading this wants to holla at me about business shoot me a pm. If you wanna just discuss this topic make your post.