UFC 112

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
BJ Penn said a re-match is in the works. Hopefully it takes place in Oakland!! War BJ!
B.J. Penn says immediate rematch "in the works" with new UFC champ Frankie Edgar

Although top contenders Gray Maynard and Kenny Florian are waiting in the wings, former champ B.J. Penn may get the first shot at newly crowned UFC champion Frankie Edgar's lightweight belt.

Penn (15-6-1 MMA, 11-6-1 UFC) dropped a decision and lost his belt to Edgar (12-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) in the co-main-event of UFC 112 this past weekend on April 10.

However, Penn today said – though nothing is official – that he's spoken with UFC officials and that an immediate rematch is in the works and a real possibility.

"The UFC called us yesterday, and there's probably a rematch in the works with Frankie Edgar," Penn said in a short video posted on his official Web site, www.bjpenn.com. "(It's) still tentative, but it looks like they want to do the fight again.

"So we'll see what's going on. (I) just wanted to give you guys a heads-up."

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) contacted multiple sources close to the fighters and was told nothing officially has been decided. In fact, one source suggested UFC officials are considering Penn as one of a few options that also include Maynard, who's the only fighter who owns a past win over Edgar.

In recent years, UFC officials has shied away from immediate title rematches. However, a very strong case could be made for Penn, who dropped a decision that was much closer than the scores (50-45, 48-47, 49-46) indicated. Additionally, the defeat was Penn's first at 155 pounds in eight years, and prior to the loss, UFC president Dana White suggested Penn was close to cleaning out the division following a string of impressive title defenses.

If the UFC does green light Edgar vs. Penn II, a No. 1 contender's bout between Florian and Maynard is certainly a possibility. Maynard hasn't competed since January, when he edged Nate Diaz via split decision to move to 9-0 (7-0 in the UFC). White stopped short of declaring Maynard the top contender after the UFC Fight Night 20 victory and instead awarded the title shot to Edgar.

On Monday Maynard told MMAjunkie.com he prefers to fight for the title now.

"If I get a chance to go for the belt, I don't care when it is," he said. "I'll keep training and whenever they tell me, that's fine."

Florian (13-4 MMA, 11-3 UFC), who's fallen shorts in past title bids against Sean Sherk and Penn, was hospitalized on Monday with a staph infection in his knee. His manager, Ron Weinberg, told MMAjunkie.com it was a precautionary and that they expect a quick and full recovery.

Since his loss to then-champ Penn in August at UFC 101, Florian has posted stoppage wins over Clay Guida and Takanori Gomi, and he owns eight wins in his past nine fights.

In any manner, with the UFC already announcing its upcoming schedule through UFC 115 in June, a decision regarding Edgar's first title defense could come soon. One possibility for the fight is an Aug. 28 event currently planned for Boston

Dec 9, 2005
I bet KenFlo was thrilled at the possibility of not having to go through BJ for the belt.

I bet the whole UFC LW division was salivating at the thought actually. LOL

Feb 12, 2004
I bet KenFlo was thrilled at the possibility of not having to go through BJ for the belt.

I bet the whole UFC LW division was salivating at the thought actually. LOL
This is exactly why I don't like it when fighters like Forrest, Rashad, Frankie, etc. become champions. They are just way too unstable and are way too easily countered. If Frankie fought Gray Maynard I don't see how things would be any different from last time. I think having stable champions like BJ, GSP, etc. helps the UFC and the sport look more legit and less like the roll of a dice.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
UFC's Gray Maynard ready for lightweight champion Frankie Edgar anytime UFC wants

Gray Maynard got a big pick-me-up this past weekend.

In January, UFC president Dana White said the UFC lightweight wasn't ready for a shot at B.J. Penn's lightweight title.

But with Frankie Edgar's upset victory over Penn at UFC 112, some fans are arguing that Maynard should get the next shot. Other fans, though, have suggested he should jump one last hurdle to a title shot by first fighting fellow contender Kenny Florian. But Maynard feels he's ready now for Edgar now.

After all, he's beaten him once before.

"I would love a shot," Maynard today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Any time you get that opportunity, a lifelong dream, you've got to jump on it. Of course, going up against Florian is great; (he has a) good name, and I can't complain.

"But obviously I want the belt. I've beat a lot of top guys and [Florian] had a chance – he's had two chances – and I want that chance too."

Maynard (9-0 MMA, 7-0 UFC) is back at Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas after knee surgery and is easing himself into the daily grind of training.

He said he barely got a chance to watch the UFC 112 co-main event because so many friends were texting him during the fight.

While many fans feel Edgar's unanimous decision victory was controversial – with particular uproar over a 50-45 score tallied by one judge for the challenger – Maynard feels the decision was just.

"It was close, of course," Maynard said. "If you're going for Penn, you could make the argument that he won. If you're going for Edgar, you could make the argument he won. But all that counts is the judges.

"I think [Edgar] did enough to win. My hat's off to him."

In January 2007, Maynard served on Penn's team as a cast member on "The Ultimate Fighter 5" and one year prior trained with the former champion in Hilo, Hawaii, when he was still deciding whether to be a fulltime mixed martial artist.

Like most fighters, he has a great deal of respect for Penn. But he never thought Penn was unbeatable.

"I was getting tired of hearing about how [Penn is] unstoppable," Maynard said. "You can't really argue because he's looked good in his last two (fights). But styles make fights. I don't think Kenny (Florian) had the tools, and I don't think Diego (Sanchez) did as well.

"It just got old hearing he's going up a weight (class) once he wins, and there's still a bunch of hungry guys chomping at the bit. You've got Tyson (Griffin), you've got me, and you've got (Kenny) Florian. The list goes on and on. [Penn] didn't clear out the weight (division)."

Since his turn on "TUF 5," Maynard is undefeated in seven consecutive octagon victories, which included a win over Edgar at UFC Fight Night 13 in April 2008.

White put him on the backburner shortly after his sixth consecutive decision victory, which came against Nate Diaz at UFC Fight Night 20, and booked Edgar vs. Penn for UFC 112.

Maynard called out the winner of a UFC Fight Night 21 headliner between Florian and former PRIDE lightweight champion Takanori Gomi just days before the March 31 event. He told MMAjunkie.com that he wanted to fight name opponents while he waited for a title opportunity.

"The last three or four (fights) I've had tough ones, but they're just not that name," Maynard said then. "It's like, 'Ah well, he beat Nate (Diaz), but he was supposed to. He beat (Rich) Clementi, but he was supposed to.'"

Turns out, the wait might not be as long as expected.

"I was glad to have some proof (that Penn is unbeatable)," Maynard said today. "Just like, 'Look, there's a lot of guys who can compete.' Give us the chance. Give me the chance."

Maynard previously targeted a July return but said this past weekend's events changed everything.

"If I get a chance to go for the belt, I don't care when it is," he said. "I'll keep training and whenever they tell me, that's fine."

He's glad he stayed patient.

"Stuff changes quickly, and that's why you have to wait your turn," Maynard said. "Of course, I wanted a chance this whole time, but it's a crazy game, and that's fine.

"That's why you've got to love it because this is a crazy fight game, and anything can happen at any time."

Jan 18, 2006
Hopefully Anderson Silva moves up in weight, regardless of what folks think about his last performance homeboy was not a real threat

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
UFC champ Edgar understands Penn's hope for rematch but wants Maynard next

Newly minted UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar has one week off to savor his belt, and then it's back to work. There's a target on his back, after all.

Not more than two days after Edgar (12-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) bested B.J. Penn (15-6 MMA, 11-5 UFC) on points this past Saturday at UFC 112, Penn said an immediate rematch is in the works and could take place within three to four months.

Gray Maynard (9-0 MMA, 7-0 UFC) also wants the first shot at the new champion.

Edgar is not one to make a scene about who's next. But if he has to pick one, it's Maynard.

"You'd have to say so," the 28-year-old Edgar told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today. "He has a win over me."

That fight took place in April 2008 in suburban Denver. Maynard outwrestled Edgar in the mile-high meeting and took home a decision with unanimous 30-27 scores.

Penn, meanwhile, fell short on all three scorecards with 50-45, 48-47 and 49-46 scores at this past weekend's UFC 112 event. It's that 50-45 score that's been eating at many fans, not to mention the former champion.

"It doesn't surprise me," Edgar said of Penn's wish for a second go-around. "He's a very competitive person. He feels he's the best fighter, so I'm sure he wants to prove that."

Edgar didn't much stop to think about the scores this past Saturday at Concert Arena in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. He dropped to his knees at the announcement and fought back tears. Backstage afterward, he reconnected with his wife and parents, who had been to many a wrestling meet and seen him lose on the mat.

When he returned to Toms River, N.J., on Sunday night, approximately 150 friends and fans met him at the airport. A phalanx of firetrucks, ambulances and police cars drove him around the city, which was the next best thing to a parade.

That's a much nicer thing on which to focus.

"Do I think I won every round? It wasn't like I definitely won every round," Edgar said. "I guess if my team or my mom was looking at it, she might have thought I won every round. But it was close. I still feel I won the majority of the rounds."

Edgar does admit his work is cut out for him in the 155-pound division. In addition to the myriad of challengers who wait in the wings, he sees room for improvement in his frenetic style of boxing, wrestling and jiu jitsu. But he doesn't see his size as an issue, which many pundits suggest.

He may have unintentionally spotlighted the issue when UFC president Dana White could not fit the lightweight belt around his waist at the announcement of his victory.

"I've definitely been getting a lot of flack – a lot of people saying I should be fighting at 145 (pounds) since Day One," Edgar said. "It's easy to see I am the smaller of the two guys when I fight.

"But as long as I'm getting the job done, I don't see any problem with it."

And ultimately, the belt is sitting in his living room.

As of Tuesday morning, neither he nor his manager have been contacted about rematch with Penn, and Edgar said he'll wait to hear from the UFC before giving it too much thought.

In the meantime, he's spending time with his 1-year-old son, Francesco.

Those wrestling upsets don't seem so important now.

"It's finally nice to say I reached the pinnacle of what I've been pursuing," Edgar said.

Sep 22, 2007
This is exactly why I don't like it when fighters like Forrest, Rashad, Frankie, etc. become champions. They are just way too unstable and are way too easily countered. If Frankie fought Gray Maynard I don't see how things would be any different from last time. I think having stable champions like BJ, GSP, etc. helps the UFC and the sport look more legit and less like the roll of a dice.
I gotta disagree with you here. It's anyones match & anybody can beat anybody on any given day. If that's the case so be it. This is just what makes the sport exciting.

Sep 22, 2007
Before Maynard thinks of a Title shot, how about he start finishing fights first? That'd work. I also think it's bulshit how he wasn't ready for a Title shot when BJ was champion, but now that Frankie holds the belt he's more than ready? Go fight KenFlo & finish impressively then ask for a title shot.

Feb 7, 2006
Michael DiSanto says Vitor Belfort would have beaten Anderson Silva:

"Silva is lucky that he was facing Maia because the challenger lacks any real juice in his punches. I’ll say it now and will not back down from the statement: had he faced his original opponent and allowed those shots to land, he would have been knocked out with the first one."

"That’s right, I said it. Vitor Belfort would have beaten Silva if he were the one throwing those left hands."

"The difference between Belfort and Maia is that Belfort has knockout power in his punches. The best thing that happened to Silva’s legacy was Belfort pulling out of the fight due to an injured shoulder that required surgical repair. The problem, though, is that Belfort will be ready to go later this summer, and he poses the most significant threat for Silva in the division, bar none. Go back and watch Belfort’s middleweight bouts. He is absolutely destroying guys at this weight, and there is no reason to think that he won’t destroy Silva if the champion doesn’t figure out how to deal with counterstrikers."

Dec 9, 2005
I hope Maynard never gets a title shot. He's fucking boring as hell to watch.

The best parts of a Maynard fight is when Arianny walks around the Octagon in between rounds.

Jan 30, 2006
i read somewhere that he doesnt like finishing brazillians because he knows how hard it is for them to make it to the ufc

thalies lettes = decision
damian maia = decision

last time he finished a brazillian was in brazil in 03'

Dec 9, 2005
In some cases getting thoroughly dominated in a decision looks worse than getting stopped. Everyone can get caught. Getting outclassed from start to finish, IMO is probably worse.