*STRIKEFORCE:MIAMI 1/30/10*

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 19, 2006

MAIN CARD
Nick Diaz vs. Marius Zaromskis (for vacant welterweight title)
Champ Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos vs. Marloes Coenen (for women's featherweight title)
Robbie Lawler vs. Melvin Manhoef
Bobby Lashley vs Wes Sims
Greg Nagy vs. Herschel Walker
PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

Jay Hieron vs. Joe Riggs
Pablo Alfonso vs. Marcos da Matta
Michael Byrnes vs. David Zitnik
Sabah Homasi vs. John Kelly
David Gomez vs. Craig Oxley
Hayder Hassan vs. Ryan Keenan
* - Not officially announced.

Feb 12, 2004
Cyborg is a beast. I remember a thread on sherdog called "Who would win in a kickboxing fight? Cyborg vs Jake Shields" lol. I hope Nick fucks up Zaromskis. I like the guy, but he's getting way too over hyped. Plus Nick is my dude.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
I think Nick's gonna win but him and Whitemare are my two favorite fighters not named GSP or Fedor so I just hope it's as good as it should be.
The Walker and Lashley fights should be fun, kinda gay they're on there over the Hieron vs. Diesel fight though.
And rocking Melvin in the sig. He's gonna kill Lawler

May 17, 2004
i dislike walker being in the middle of the poster over the established and known fighters. it makes me think its some japanese promotion booking a freak fight.

Dec 19, 2006
Ambriz out as Lashley opponent, officials at "square one" on replacement

The search for Bobby Lashley's opponent continues.

Strikeforce officials on Tuesday afternoon told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that journeyman heavyweight Jimmy Ambriz (14-12-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) is not fighting the former pro wrestler at "Strikeforce: Miami," despite a seal of approval from the Florida State Boxing Commission.

"I got a call last night that said I'd definitely be fighting, and [Strikeforce officials] said, 'We want to make sure to have the right opponent for you,'" Lashley told MMAjunkie.com on Tuesday night. "I hope everything works out. I hope they find someone and the fight is good."

Despite the latest setback, officials said they felt confident a replacement opponent would be found in time for the Jan. 30 event, which features a welterweight title bout between Nick Diaz and Marius Zaromskis and will be broadcast live on Showtime.

However, officials said the promotion was "starting from square one" in the search for a heavyweight to face Lashley.

Lashley (4-0 MMA, 0-0 SF) was originally billed to face Yohan Banks (2-1 MMA, 2-0 SF) before the FSBC ruled the bout "not competitive" and declined its approval last Thursday.

A day later, Strikeforce tapped Ambriz as Banks' successor. While the FSBC felt comfortable with the matchup, the bout has now been scratched by the promotion for undisclosed reasons.

Lashley said he had no timeline for when he expects to be given a new opponent.

"It's going to be a little difficult training," Lashley said from his American Top Team affiliate school, ATT Altitude, in Denver. "I have to sharpen all aspects of my game, so regardless if I have an opponent or not, I'm still going to work on every piece of my game going into this fight."

Lashley, who appeared on a TNA wrestling broadcast the day Banks was nixed, has finished all but one of his four professional MMA appearances in the first round. "The Ultimate Fighter 8" washout Jason Guida took Lashley the distance this past March after a pre-fight war of words that resembled a pro wrestling feud.

There were rumblings in the pro wrestling world that Lashley had double-booked himself between wrestling promotion Total Nonstop Action and Strikeforce – agreeing to appear on a European TNA tour around the same time as "Strikeforce: Miami" – but Lashley said his TNA contract was non-exclusive and the wrestling promotion supported his fighting career.

"There was something they had a few months ago," Lashley said. "They wanted me to do a tour, but the thing is if I have an opportunity to fight, to sign with Strikeforce, they understand."

Additional sources close to the event said the organization has been supplied with the names of several willing replacements, but a final decision has yet to be made. Any potential opponent will need to be approved by Strikeforce officials, Showtime brass and Lashley, himself.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
still don't understand why they said Banks was "not competitive". He has 1 less fight than Lashley and beat Joey Beltran who beat the shit out of Houston Alexander over the weekend. They must be counting his tenures in WWE and TNA as pro fights lol

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Wes Sims Likely to Fight Lashley

Veteran Wes Sims, a cast member on The Ultimate Fighter 10, will likely step in on short notice and fight heavyweight prospect Bobby Lashley on January 30 at “Strikeforce: Miami” in Sunrise, Florida, according to Sirius Fight Club’s Chris Thomas.

Strikeforce sources told MMAFrenzy.com that the fight was “not confirmed,” but the bout is believed to be in the process of being finalized for the Showtime-televised event.

The Florida State Boxing Commission likely still needs to approve the matchup, but there’s no reason to believe the 37-fight veteran Sims wouldn’t be cleared for the contest. The FSBC last week declined Yohan Banks (2-1) as an opponent for Lashley, saying the fight “wouldn’t be competitive,” then approved Jimmy Ambriz (14-12-1), but that matchup has been scrapped for unknown reasons.

Sims (22-12-1) has won three-straight officially, but hasn’t fought since an 18-second knockout in November 2008. In an exhibition bout on The Ultimate Fighter 10, he suffered a first-round submission to Justin Wren in the opening round of the heavyweight tournament.

Lashley (4-0) made his MMA debut in late-2008 with a first-round TKO of Joshua Franklin, then improved to 4-0 in 2009 with wins over Jason Guida, Mike Cook, and Bob Sapp.

If finalized, the matchup completes the fight card for “Strikeforce: Miami,” which is headlined by Nick Diaz vs. Marius Zaromskis for the Strikeforce welterweight title and also features 145-pound women’s champ Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos vs. Marloes Coenen.