So what happens if this "Hyphy" stuff doesn't take off??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2004
www.twitter.com
I was just reading a profile on apple.com of the record company behind maroon 5. Its cool to read how the process they have for blowing up an artist. I'd like to think that the bay area artist who are on the come up stick to that first school of thought, but the talk on this board by some artist and the mangement that post, it seems we are setting ourselves up for the second school of thought. Especially if we make hyphy a gimmick and use that gimmick to become natinally excepted.

http://www.apple.com/business/profiles/octone/

“The inspiration for our business model was a common thread in the careers of seminal bands like Green Day, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Radiohead. Bands that became seasoned on the road, touring non-stop, performing for live audiences, and rallying the devotion of real fans.

“These days, the marketplace forces many big labels into thrusting their music on the radio or MTV prematurely, hoping to have that blockbuster hit. But we wanted to build a team that could sign the bands they loved and believed in — a record company that was heavily in the artist development business, cultivating artists from the ground up into big, enduring, creative entities.

First and foremost, touring is crucial for us — because we’re trying to secure real fans, not fabricate them with marketing hype.

Sep 30, 2005
SLOWPOKE said:
i have seen him in vibe and source,....but that was like,...what,....01,....it's like bringing up tl from n2deep!!!!!!!
Hella people are in Vibe or The Source and still ain't mainstream. You gotta be mainstream as fuck to sell millions of records, on a 50 Cent, Ludacriss, Jay-Z level. Everybody knows who these people are, even if they don't listen to rap. Ras Kass is underground. Shit, '01 is four years ago, not 20. It ain't like he washed up and can't rap no more, he just had a lotta setbacks with record labels and getting locked up an all that, but he's there now, and what he's been puttin out lately is fire. I see him on a level like some of the east coast cats like Cormega or AZ or whoever. Same kinda market.

Oct 19, 2004
Un Just said:
what makes people think yuk is so popular all over?

yuk makes a majority of his money overseas

people in the south & on the east.. dont know who yukmouth is lol they know about "i got 5 on it" and the lunizbut dont even know yukmouth was apart of that (im talkin about the majority)

ras kass has more fans then all these bay rappers... thats a fact
Cats need to get the fuck out the town and see some shit before they post this stupid shit. I lived in ATL for four years and been all over the south and I know for a fuckin fact that yuk is known all over the south. How could you say he's not when he's signed to rap a lot, has more south features on his albums and collabs wit more south cats then west cats. The fuck outta here.

Rass Kass does not have more fans than all the Bay rappers and that a real fact.

Nov 7, 2002
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
Meandme said:
. Ras Kass is underground. Shit, '01 is four years ago, not 20. It ain't like he washed up and can't rap no more, he just had a lotta setbacks with record labels and getting locked up an all that, .

ok see i understand you but herd me on this,...

wether it was 4 years since anyone heard you or 12,...(not 20 get your facts right mista smart guy)

my point was mainstream audiance has a very short attenshion span,....i.e. old has,....no,...could have been only if 'er,...

man why are we sizing up a would have been with a culture!!!!!
you acting like he's the savour of them backpaker's,....
i think it dont make much sence,...if anything,...say some jay z or ludad,...and then you have an arguement
,...but we'll see what else you pull off interscopes shit coverd dick

Feb 1, 2005
threefoe said:
Cats need to get the fuck out the town and see some shit before they post this stupid shit. I lived in ATL for four years and been all over the south and I know for a fuckin fact that yuk is known all over the south. How could you say he's not when he's signed to rap a lot, has more south features on his albums and collabs wit more south cats then west cats. The fuck outta here.

Rass Kass does not have more fans than all the Bay rappers and that a real fact.
Unjust is right tho he is not "popular" all over the nation thats what im trying to say... but like i said in my post replying to unjust people in the south know him cuz of his affiliation with rapalot, rapalot is respected and wellknown throughout the south.. they may not sell as much as say a no limit or cashmoney but everybody knows rapalot.. but not everybody in the south know yukmouth and thats a fact.. but people would still be suprised to see how many people DO know him in the south and the midwest cuz he is visible everywhere he goes everywhere and you would also be suprised how many people in NY know yuk (im not talking about niggaz in the streets but mostly the rappers and djs) but the fact still remains that yuk is not known all over the nation like a slim thug is known all over the nation or like a lil flip is known all over the nation yuk is pretty well known all over FOR A UNDERGROUND RAPPER soundscan doesnt lie his 3 solos combined have sold 800k and thats not even counting all his sideprojects

Sep 30, 2005
SLOWPOKE said:
ok see i understand you but herd me on this,...

wether it was 4 years since anyone heard you or 12,...(not 20 get your facts right mista smart guy)

my point was mainstream audiance has a very short attenshion span,....i.e. old has,....no,...could have been only if 'er,...

man why are we sizing up a would have been with a culture!!!!!
you acting like he's the savour of them backpaker's,....
i think it dont make much sence,...if anything,...say some jay z or ludad,...and then you have an arguement
,...but we'll see what else you pull off interscopes shit coverd dick
I know the mainstream audience got a short attention span, that's what I'm saying. Ras Kass is still liked in the underground. You acting like he stole something from you and you on a mission to prove he ain't shit... Fuck that, it ain't like he one my favorite rappers or anything, I'm not gonna waste more time speaking about it, but you still wrong. You ain't got to have mainstream success to have a fucking career. He ain't dead, he ain't lost the ability to rap, so there's no reason to act like that.