RAIDERS FIRE DEFENSIVE CORDINATOR

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 26, 2005
Ryan's future unclear
Defensive mentor's fate appears in Davis' hands
David White, Chronicle Staff Writer
Thursday, January 3, 2008

(01-02) 20:31 PST Alameda -- Rob Ryan remains the wild-haired, big-porched defensive coordinator of the Raiders, though that can change in an Al Davis-minute.
Then again, Al Davis minutes are slower than most. The Raiders' boss isn't one for hurry-up firings, so if Raiders coach Lane Kiffin wants his own handpicked defensive coordinator, he must wait at least another day.
Several team sources remain convinced Kiffin wants Ryan gone after a subpar season, and they are just as sure Ryan wouldn't pull out any flowing locks over it. Ryan has one more year on his contract and, ultimately, Davis has to consent for the firing to go down.
For now, Davis is gathering information and advice while forming his opinion. Ryan and the rest of the staff were at Alameda headquarters Wednesday, where Ryan and Davis were to have their postseason meeting.
When Kiffin last spoke with reporters Monday, he reiterated that no decisions were made as of then. When asked about the defense, he didn't exactly give a ringing endorsement for Ryan's half of the team.
"It really was disappointing," Kiffin said. "I really felt that the defense was gonna be our strength. There had been a lot of improvement from two years ago to last year on defense, so I thought we'd continue to build off that with 11 returning guys."
Instead, the defense was undone from start to finish, ranking 22nd overall and second-to-last against the run despite returning all its starters. In 2006, the Raiders' defense ranked third overall, by far the best showing of Ryan's four seasons. It ranked 27th and 30th the previous two seasons.
Media speculation has begun on what both sides will do next.
Ryan has been linked to the Jets, whose defensive coordinator, Bob Sutton, is in trouble. Jets coach Eric Mangini wanted to hire Ryan before last season, but Davis blocked the lateral move and gave Ryan a three-year extension.
Kiffin reportedly is interested in hiring his father, Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, whose contract is up after this season. That theory comes with significant roadblocks.
Monte Kiffin is an expert in the Tampa 2 zone-coverage scheme. The Raiders play man coverage at the unbending request of Davis, a loyalist to the 11-on-11 way of life.
That's why Ryan ran the same base defense all season with a four-man rush, little blitzing and tight man coverage from the cornerbacks.
Players treated Sunday's season finale as a farewell game for Ryan, with defensive players taking turns hugging Ryan on the field and pleading for his job in the locker room.
Of note, key figures Warren Sapp, Kirk Morrison and Nnamdi Asomugha have given Ryan their spoken support.
"Rob Ryan? Love him to death," Sapp said.
Speaking of Sapp: Still no word on whether Sapp wants to return for a 14th NFL season.
Several teammates, including Morrison, said Sapp told them he was going to retire, but Sapp wanted to give it one week before making anything official.
Kiffin said Sapp told him Monday of his intentions, but he wouldn't reveal the news.
"I'm not going to take that from him," Kiffin said. "He'll tell you guys whenever he's ready."

we had some good seasons with him but i did wonder sometimes this season i didnt think he would get fired though i would like the see monte kiffin as the new defensive coordinator we need a upgrade, guess its a good thing al davis didnt hire him as the head coach shit might of been worst

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
This is tricky... Al Davis loves man to man and Kiffin's father is more of a zone coverage d coordinator. Al Davis has got to give in a little here. But yeah the defense was disappointing this year.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
I liked ryan but the d was fuckin up this year....I hope we get an improvement

and sapp said he wasn't sure about retiring but would make a decision soon in the offseason
I agree

I liked Ryan too, but we couldnt stop the run for shit

Monte Kiffin would be dope... as long as he aint trippin off havin his son work over him