Napoleon of the Outlawz performs Hajj

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 15, 2002
I got this from www.hitemup.com

The LA Times today published an article about Napoleon of Tha Outlawz. The article is primarily about Napoleon's religious beliefs and faith but also of course mentions Tupac and his untimely death.

A Rapper's Spiritual Journey

Record producer Mikal Kamil recalls the first time he saw gangsta rapper Napoleon. Standing in a North Hollywood recording studio, the protege of the late Tupac Shakur held a Colt 45 malt liquor in one hand, a marijuana joint in the other, and was surrounded by about 15 members of his rowdy posse.

During the introduction, Kamil was surprised to discover that Napoleon's given name, Mutah Wasin Shabazz Beale, was of Islamic origin.

"You a Muslim?" Kamil asked. The religion forbids drinking and smoking.

"Yeah," said Beale, encircled in a thick haze of marijuana smoke.

Two years later, Beale is one of the more unlikely Muslims making the annual hajj, or pilgrimage, this month to Mecca in Saudi Arabia. An estimated 2 million Muslims, including hundreds from Southern California, are expected to participate in the five-day observance that begins today in the birthplace of Muhammad, the preeminent prophet of Islam.

Hajj, one of the basic tenets of Islam, is a journey that Muslims are expected to make at least once in their lives, health and finances permitting. Hajj package trips, which cost between $3,500 and $6,000, are tightly controlled and coordinated by travel agencies that work with the Saudi Arabian government.

During the observance, Muslims perform a series of rituals connected to the sacrifices made by Abraham, whom the faithful regard as a prophet and father of their faith.

"[Before] I didn't care about living or dying," said the 25 year old hip-hop artist, who lives with his fiancee and 3-year-old son in Santa Clarita. "Now I recognize how beautiful life is. I love to have another day to pray to Allah."

That night in the recording studio, Kamil said he silently vowed to get Beale to embrace his faith seriously.

"He was a beast, a barbarian," Kamil said. "But he also impressed me as a leader who could get people to move in any direction -- he had 15 or 20 people doing exactly what he said at all times. If he became a true Muslim, he could easily bring in thousands and millions more to the faith."

Beale was known as a member of one of the industry's more notorious rap groups. An heir to Shakur's violent legacy, Beale drank hard and fought hard, finishing a fifth of Hennessy cognac every two days and carrying a gun. He made national news in 2001 when his group, the Outlawz, was kicked out of a rehearsal for MTV's 20th anniversary special after he grabbed the microphone from Sean "Puffy" Combs, starting a shoving match.

And he wrote lyrics such as: "Now why this [expletive] wanna test me out? It's this thang I'ma protect myself and blow his brains out."

Beale, who grew up in New Jersey, shared East Coast roots with Shakur. When he was 3, his Muslim parents were gunned down in front of him and his two brothers, Beale said. He was raised by his Christian grandmother, but he "never felt at home in church."

He did feel at home in the streets -- stealing, fighting and dealing drugs.

In 1993, Tupac organized a group that later would become the Outlawz. Its members -- including Hussein, Kadafi, Kastro, and Komani -- were named after enemies of the United States. Beale said Shakur dubbed him Napoleon because of his height (5 feet, 6 inches) and "I was so evil."

Though he worked in an industry where many of its superstars have been murdered, including Shakur in 1996, he said the deaths had little impact on him.

"All my life I've seen death," Beale said. "I knew death was a part of life. I took death easily, you know what I'm saying?"

Kamil went to work on Beale's faith. He reminded Beale of his Muslim roots, gave him advice based on Islamic teachings, and fed him bits of scripture and prayers. Kamil said he was careful not to push. Instead, he tried to be an example of the serenity that Beale could have if he embraced Islam.

"I knew it was just a matter of time," Kamil said.

On the rapper's first trip to a mosque, about 20 friends tagged along.

"I think about 10 of them became Muslims that day," Kamil said. "That's the kind of leader Beale is."

Ramadan 2001 was a turning point. Beale decided to observe the monthlong Islamic holiday, which includes abstention from alcohol.

"That broke me," said Beale, who started learning prayers, reading Islamic books and attending mosque prayer services regularly. "I was still doing some wild stuff, but I was getting closer and closer to God. You feel when God wants you to do something."

Beale said he felt "the empty hole in my heart" filling up with God, and soon his anger became manageable. He says he hasn't had a drink since.

His friends noticed the change immediately.

"He was, like, city raw," said Doc Bull, a longtime friend. "He was real, real bad, hard on women and hard on the dudes he didn't love. He turned his whole life completely around. I don't want to say I didn't think he could do it, but I knew him when he was evil."

There's a lot of street still left in Beale. Even now he embraces the memories: drunken violence, womanizing, scribbling hard-core hip-hop lyrics.

"I don't regret nothing in my past," Beale said. "People respect me more because of it. It shows that only God can humble someone like me."

The Studio City barbershop he owns with his brother maintains a distinctly hip-hop flavor. Baggy shirts and pants and sideways baseball caps are the standard uniform at Platinum Kutz. Platinum records featuring Shakur and the Outlawz line the mirrors. ("The records I've appeared on have sold 40 million copies," Beale said.) And hair-cutters occasionally pause in their work to critique the rap music videos playing on televisions mounted to the ceilings.

Beale laughs when he thinks about people within the hip-hop industry reading about his religious conversion:

"They'll never believe it." He's working on a solo album called "Scriptures From a Thug's Point of View," featuring cleaned-up lyrics. But Beale's quick to point out that "everything still comes from my heart. This music is just ridiculous."

The pilgrimage to Mecca, a place only Muslims can enter, is another step in his spiritual journey, a trip he believes was a call from God.

"They say only Allah invites you to Mecca," Beale said.

Beale and other Muslims will perform holy acts that include circling the Ka'aba, the stone building that Muslims believe was built by Abraham and his son, Ishmael; throwing stones at three pillars outside Mecca representing Satan's temptation of the patriarch; and the supplication to God on the plain of Arafah, where Muhammad delivered his last sermon, the climax of hajj.

On the final day, Muslims worldwide will celebrate with communal prayers, gifts to children, and visits with family and friends in a Festival of Sacrifice called Eid ul-Adha.

Beale said he wants his pilgrimage to be a time of spiritual cleansing, allowing him to be a better example to young rappers and "the cats on the street."

"I don't try to preach to them," he said. "You can only lead by example."

Beale also said he's not concerned about the possibility of a war in Middle East while he's in Saudi Arabia.

"I found Allah, I'm not worried," Beale said. "And I've been in many Jersey neighborhoods worse than any war."

By William Lobdell

S

Sicx is My Hero

alhamdulillah - I'm the same way as the brother. Being a muslim and being in america is just not possible at the same time.

I remember I wrote fatal while he was in jail asking him about how true to my lyrics I had to be about killing ppl to be considered "real" - he wrote me back telling me to leave that BS alone and the only killing is when we go to jihad. He gave me my salaam.

It's also forbidden in sunni islam - REAL sunni islam, not half assed islam - to make music whatsoever. also it's pretty much forbidden to live in a non believing country like america and live - I hope one day I can chill with napoleon in repentance in a muslim country.

Aug 15, 2002
^^^I agree with you 100%. It is hard to practice Islam the way it is really supposed to in this country. This culture is so dominating and once you're part of it, its hard to get out. I am sinning almost every minute of my life and I don't even realize what I am doing.

Aug 15, 2002
JazzFan said:

Everyone is doing that, Muslim or not.
You're right. I am just trying to show how hard it is to be a righteous Muslim in this country. Not that I would want to leave this country, but from a religious standpoint, this society makes it difficult for Islam to be practiced. One has to be really strong in their faith to not succumb to the pressures of this society. I am not one of those people. I know right from wrong, but I still choose to do wrong. How will I be able to stand in front of God on the day of judgment and answer to him?

S

Sicx is My Hero

^^

you're in the same boat most american muslims are - but at least you admit you're sinful..unlike people like warith deen mohammed and yusuf qaradawi who just want to change the religion however they want to make everything allowed..

it's funny how you admit this country isn't good at all for your faith yet you'd never want to leave here - goes to show how harmful, yet fun sinning is.

S

Sicx is My Hero

Deep Thought said:
What does it say about rapper-worship and child molesting?
I've got to hand it to you, you're a moron! You didn't read my post at all, you read 3 words, my name and wanted to make a smart aleck remark.

If you weren't so damn anxious to fire off a zinger you'd have noticed I was speaking on how easy it is to fall into sin (like having an online name to piss people off for my enjoyment) when you're not surrounded by a religious environment. What does my religion say? It says the same thing about being a simpering boob simultaneously being a cocky prick - it's not allowed. At least you don't have to worry about falling into that sin. Oh wait.

Anyway, fuck off.

Aug 15, 2002
^^^It's hard to leave this kind of life when you've been exposed to it your whole life. I just got to take it slowly, one step at a time, trying to improve myself. Like Napoleon, even though he still drinks, makes music, etc. at least he is trying to better himself, but it takes time. You can't just leave, it doesn't work like that. Also, I know a lot of people that practice Islam properly and live here, so I know it is possible. I just have to have that focus and concentration, and strengthen my belief in Islam.

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
Sicx is My Hero said:
alhamdulillah - I'm the same way as the brother. Being a muslim and being in america is just not possible at the same time.

I remember I wrote fatal while he was in jail asking him about how true to my lyrics I had to be about killing ppl to be considered "real" - he wrote me back telling me to leave that BS alone and the only killing is when we go to jihad. He gave me my salaam.

It's also forbidden in sunni islam - REAL sunni islam, not half assed islam - to make music whatsoever. also it's pretty much forbidden to live in a non believing country like america and live - I hope one day I can chill with napoleon in repentance in a muslim country.
You been hearing some wild mulahadaat then, yaa saahib, cuz that stuff about the music and America aint even close to haraam or shirk

I'd suggest you pick up "American Muslims" by Asma Gull Hasan and start learning about the real.

Xoda Haffez

May 18, 2004
I know this post is really old and all, but I'm gonna reply to it anyway!!

I just met Napolean last week at a Mosque here in my city, and I was surprised to see how much he changed since he became Muslim alhamdulillah. He looks a lot different too, cause when I saw him he had on one of those long Muslim thobes, he got a big beard now and he had a kufi on his head. We got to talk to him for a bit, he's a real down to earth brother, very humble and cool to talk to, wasn't cocky at all. Just wanted to share this with ya'll...

Aug 13, 2005
asalamu alaikum brothers, kreep my brother i just learned this the other day that the word mosque means mosquito in spanish and when king ferdinand i think kicked out the muslims in spain he said to squish them like a mosquito or a mosque in spanish hence the word mosque being used for masjid, so really we shouldnt use the word mosque, just thought that was interesting, one of the convert mexican brothers converted to islam after purchasing the book idiots guide to understanding islam and that was in there.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Sicx is My Hero said:
Salaam.

I would like to see you back these 2 things up. I have yet to see Quranic verses that say this. The Quran itself is "complete" and "perfect", so i do not want to see Hadith or Fatwas which say this either.

Edit: Damn, i didn't even realize i responded with the same shit over a year ago. And this man still has not returned.

Anyone else up to the challenge?

Aug 13, 2005
Dirty Shoez said:
Salaam.

I would like to see you back these 2 things up. I have yet to see Quranic verses that say this. The Quran itself is "complete" and "perfect", so i do not want to see Hadith or Fatwas which say this either.

Edit: Damn, i didn't even realize i responded with the same shit over a year ago. And this man still has not returned.

Anyone else up to the challenge?

asalamu alaikum brother, heres where there is a rift in islam today. About the music the Quran doesnt say it, but what it does say is obey Allah and his messenger, One who obeys the messenger obeys Allah. And thats where the ahadith come in and thats where it forbids music. You see brother the hadith is very important as well without the hadiths we wouldnt know wha tthe quran means, almost all the tafseer is from ahadith. The way we pray and how we pray and what prayers we pray is from the hadeeth so not taking the hadeeth is something you need to look into more brother. So the hadith and Quran go hand in hand and Allah says it in the Quran. I used to not want to believe in the hadeeth aswell because i loved music but believe it or not i stopped listening to music a couple of months ago, but im still on the siccness i dont know why maybe cuz ive been here for almost 6 years now. Anyways brothers where yall from?

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
It is for this reason precisely that the Quran says, IN ITSELF, that is is "PERFECT" and "COMPLETE": Because if you are going to DARE speak against or forbid something, you better make SURE that it is for the good of ALL Muslims; and even then, you have NO RIGHT to criticise them for not following your advice, as the Quran IS ABOVE Hadith; and Hadith ARE NOT 'additional' Surahs, they are only COMMENTS.

The Contact Prayers, of course, need elaboration; books, diagrams and such. The commentaries about what the Prophet (pbuh) said and did are very helpful to gain further, non-poetic insight into what the Quran is saying. But forbidding things not specifically forbidden by the Allah in the Quran, however, is wholly Un-Islamic.

I'm from Washington state. Very lovely place.

Aug 13, 2005
brother me and you are nothing when it comes to knowledge compared to the scholars therefore we shouldnt and cant say that they are wrong on the hadith subject and the Quran, not everything is in the Quran, but whats in the Quran is that Allah said to obey the messenger and what he said, and one who listens to the messenger is like obeying Allah, its in the Quran. Ofcourse the Quran is above the Hadith, but the hadith is also talked about in the Quran. Thats why Islam is a complete religion its not something you do once a week, its a way of life, from the time you wake, going to the bathroom, etc, etc... Its the most documented religion and the prophet s.a.w is an example that God put on this earth for us to follow, anyways brother it was nice talking to you ima go sleep now, mashallah seattle has a big population of muslims, what nationality are you mexican?

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Also: http://www.submission.org/music.html

Small sample:

"(2) The Prophet Muhammad, lived by, ruled by, preached and followed the Quran alone. See 5:48-50

(3) God is the ONLY source of law, 6:114. No one, including the prophet Muhammad, can prohibit what God did not, 66:1. When the Prophet Muhammad once did, God admonished him in public to remind the believers that ONLY GOD can prohibit. See 66:1 and 33:37.

(5) God does not forget, 19:64. He did not forget to prohibit Music or singing and waited for someone else to do it. The prohibition of Music and singing cannot be found in the Quran because God did not prohibit them."

And so on.