MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2006
Japan’s long history of New Year’s Eve combat-sports events continued today with Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye 2014, which saw two MMA notables pick up dominant wins.

The event, which took place at Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo, saw former PRIDE and UFC great Mirko Filipovic (30-11-2) score a highlight-reel knockout win over Satoshi Ishii (12-4-1) to defend the IGF heavyweight belt.

“Cro Cop” actually won the belt four months prior with a TKO win (via doctor’s stoppage) over Ishii, a 2008 Olympic gold-medalist judoka.

Ishii took the early lead, but late in the second round of their rematch, Filipovic connected with a left high kick to the head that staggered Ishii. “Cro Cop” then unloaded a quick barrage of follow-up punches and forced the referee’s intervention just as the round came to a close.

https://vine.co/v/default.mp4

Ishii was unable to continue, and Filipovic moved to 3-1 since his year-plus layoff in 2012.

Also on the card, ONE FC lightweight champion Shinya Aoki (37-6) pushed his winning streak to seven fights after absorbing some early blows from lightweight Yuki Yamamoto (6-7-3) but eventually moving the fight to the mat.

Once there, Aoki, who competed on New Year’s Eve for the fourth consecutive year (and the eighth time overall in his career), quickly took his back, secured a hook and then worked a twister. Yamamoto initially fought off the hold but eventually relented and tapped out just 81 seconds into the opening round.

After the win, Aoki, who earned his 25th submission in 37 career wins, flipped off his foe as he walked backward out of the arena.

In the night’s official co-headliner, super heavyweight Chris Barnett (12-1) fought through an early cut and eventually bulldozed sumo wrestler Shinichi Suzukawa (1-3) to the mat before finishing him off with ground-and-pound at the 1:57 mark of the opening round.

The full Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye 2014 results included:

Mirko Filipovic def. Satoshi Ishii via TKO (head kick and punches) – Round 2, 5:00
Chris Barnett def. Shinichi Suzukawa via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:57
Shinya Aoki def. Yuki Yamamoto via submission (twister) – Round 1, 1:21
Justin Willis def. Yusuke Kawaguchi via TKO (punches) – 1, 0:43
Ramazan Esenbaev def. Kiuma Kunioku via majority decision
Yusuke Masuda def. Ryo Sakai via split decision
Ryo Sakai def. Tsuyoshi Kurihara via unanimous decision
Yusuke Masuda def. Takaaki Oban via split decision
Shuji Morikawa def. Katsuyoshi Sasaki via unanimous decision

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2006
After tough Christmas week, ring card girl Jade Bryce looking for positives

COULDN'T HELP BUT LOL, SORRY. BAD LUCC FOR HER...

Model Jade Bryce doesn’t like being negative when bad things happen, preferring to look at what she can change in herself so she may invite good things into her life.

Lately, there’ve been plenty of opportunities for change.

The MMA world learned this week that Bryce would no longer be walking the apron outside Bellator’s cage after four years as one of its most visible presences alongside Mercedes Terrell.

Bryce initially wrote on social media that the Viacom-owned promotion had “chosen to go in a different direction.” In an interview today on MMAjunkie Radio, she said the split was amicable, even though she wanted to continue working as a ring card girl.

“I don’t have reasons – just my contract was up, and we talked and said that we were going in different directions,” she said. “I don’t have the exact direction they’re going in. I would imagine it would be another blonde since Mercedes is a brunette; they’d probably want to have variety, but I’m not sure.”

That wasn’t the extent of Bryce’s tough luck, though. Even before that, she was caught off guard by a series of unfortunate events. By the end of Christmas week, her positivity had given way to tears.

Bryce said a trip earlier this month to South America was rife with trouble. Her belongings were stolen. She was deserted by companions. At one point, she said she was stuck on a bus where she was prevented from eating for 36 hours.

“It was a horror of a trip,” she said.

When she arrived home to visit family for the holidays, she discovered that her car had been egged. Her mom hadn’t noticed.

“So they’ve just been sitting on there for a while, and I can’t get them off,” Bryce said.

Then, on the day after Christmas, she got word that her time with Bellator was over.

She cried for an hour.

“I’m still trying to think of a positive way to think about everything,” she said. “I think maybe the universe is trying to get me to wake up. Maybe I haven’t been focused on all the things I should be focused on this year – self-growth and really giving back. Maybe spiritually, I’ve been asleep. So I feel like a bunch of bad things are happening to wake me up.”

Bryce said she’d like to continue working in MMA, whether as a host or a ring card girl, so she may continue to promote social causes outside the cage. In 2012, she said she donated 20 percent of her yearly earnings from modeling and ring card work to charities.

Before Thanksgiving, she made food boxes for the hungry using money from her “wish list,” a common occurrence where fans buy models gifts.

She said she’s received a few emails of interest to get back to work, though none from the industry-leading UFC.

She is not bitter toward her former employer, though she is not quite sure whether her departure is a business decision or something she brought upon herself.

“I’ll always want to be a part of Bellator,” Bryce said. “I even suggested that I come on for some super shows in the future. I’ll always continue to be an ambassador for them. I definitely don’t have any reasons to not want to work for them.”

Her relationship with Terrell, who remains with the promotion, appears to be more complex.

“We never hung out outside the fights, but the way I said I was family with Bellator…the way sisters poke at each other, but also know everything about each other, but can also drive each other up the wall, but then also save each other in a hard moment,” Bryce said. “That was pretty much our relationship. We were pretty much like sisters.”

Bryce and Terrell were often mentioned as rivals to the ring card girls in the UFC. Even before Bryce’s departure, fans wondered whether she would eventually end up walking around the promotion’s famed octagon.

But Bryce said she was always content with where she was.

“Of course, there’s other organizations that probably pay more and have more notoriety, but Bellator was my family,” she said. “Had I been offered something else, it would have been very hard to leave. Even now, it’s really weird to think I’m not going to see them every week.”

On Jan. 30, Bryce will make one more appearance in her Bellator attire – on screen as a nominee for “Best Ring Card Girl” at the 2015 World MMA Awards in Las Vegas.

Bryce plans to attend the ceremony. And she might just end up having the last laugh.

“It would be pretty funny if an unemployed ring girl won that award,” she said.

Feb 10, 2006
WHOA!

Dave Doyle ‏@davedoylemma 6m6 minutes ago
1-on-1 interview with Luke Rockhold, he tells me "looks like Lyoto Machida is the fight I'm going to get. Look for something real soon."

Apr 25, 2002
He cant have both tho breh.

i (doubt but) hope he gets them. i honestly hope everybody slowly starts going to Bellator. UFC is some fucks, and that 6 year long Reebok deal gives Bellator a little more power, along with their Viacom money. 6 years is a lot of forever in MMA. UFC has really only been what it is today for about 4 years. since they brought in the WEC boys, then the Strikeforce boys then the chicks who have been fighting under Strikeforce, Bellator, and Elite when UFC was just another MMA promotion that actually got on PPV. the only thing UFC is really good for is their production value and their purchasing of other promotions. these fighter don't need UFC as much as UFC needs them. word g.

but Brock will probably go to UFC if anything.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Costa is out of his next fight, as is Tarec Saffedine. Too lazy to post those two articles. Uriah Hall was going to murk him anyways. Matt Brown might have got luccy too now that dude can't take body shots for shit. Tarec has monster kiccs.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Tim Sylvia Retires

Big Timmeh called it quits after failing his pre fight medicals.

As much as people joke around about Tim Sylvia, especially his post UFC career such as being KO'd in 9 seconds against 48 year old Ray Mercer and ballooning up to 371lbs. Nobody can take away from the fact dude was the UFC Champ and headlined one of the highest grossing PPV's in UFC history.

Tim Sylvia retires - Mixed Martial Arts News

Former UFC heavyweight champion Tim "The Maineiac" Sylvia was scheduled to fight tonight at Reality Fighting 53, but was not medically cleared to fight. While the reason was not provided, Sylvia announced at the event that there was an issue with his MRI, and he was retiring.

When mixed martial arts was first getting off the ground, long before it was mainsteam with gyms everywhere, Tim gamely stepped up. It was at Rhode Island Vale Tudo in 1999. Tim walked up to me and asked if I was his opponent. "No, I am a judge," I said out loud, adding to myself, "thank God."

Tim was focused, 6' 9" and over 300 pounds. He took two steps across the ring at Manny Neves (RIP) gym and hit his opponent Mark Geoffry with an open hand strike. Geoffry fell over, and foam came out of his mouth. When he came to, he went to hospital, and made it back by the finals.

Tim went on to win the UFC heavyweight championship.

I was a fan since the first fight, and still am.

The fight Saturday night was for the same promotion he started with. Rhode Island Vale Tudo morphed into Mass Destruction, and then had a contest on the UG for a new name. "Reality Fighting" was chosen, and fight Saturday would have brought Tim full circle.

Tim Sylvia was not a naturally lean athlete. Instead, he had something more important than talent - hard work. He made a commitment to mixed martial arts, moved to Bettendorf, Iowa, and become an anchor of the legendary Miletich Martial Arts.

Manager Monte Cox joked that he thought at first that Sylvia was only four feet tall, as he was always doubled over a can throwing up. But the will to train every class until you throw up is rare, and when Sylvia turned pro, he won 15 fights in a row, earning a shot at Ricco Rodriguez for the UFC heavyweight championship. He won that too.

Sylvia won the next one, but then suffered a broken arm vs. Frank Mir. He wanted to keep fighting, but lost the belt. That was more than 10 years ago.

Sylvia challenged for the title against Andrei Arlovski, but came up short. A year and three wins later, he tried again, and beat Arlovski, and then once again in a rematch. Next he outgrappled Jeff Monson, before losing the title to Randy Couture, in 2007.

Sylvia would contest for the title one last time vs. Antonio Nogueira in 2008, but came up short. He kept fighting across the planet, going 7-5 with one NC, and now he has retired.

We wish you a long and relaxed retirement, and hope you catch a lot of fish champ!

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Would love to see these two go five rounds, they should make this the main event instead of Conor. McGregor has came out and said he finishes Siver inside of two minutes.

Major fuccin props to Cowboy, he wants to avenge his two early losses to Bendo. Shit at this rate he has the chance to fight 6-7 times this year! lol