MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2006
lol rampage is done no one wants to see him fight kinda sad the ufc would bring him back if true

I'm not saying throw everything and the kitchen sink at him, theres still alot of fun fights in the ufc for Quinton. I would freak the fucc out if the ufc were to make Shogun/Rampage 2! Hendo/Rampage 2 would still get huge numbers since theur first fight was close and very entertaining(not the same guys obviously) He needs to get his ass in the gym tho and train his ass off, Quinton's always been hella lazy and only relied on his power throughout the years.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Exactly, the UFC is full of older fighters who won't challenge for a title, but can still put on entertaining fights.

Rampage vs. Lil Nog (unless Rumble retired him)
Rampage vs. Shogun
Rampage vs. Hendo
Rampage vs. Vitor (if he loses to Weidman, I don't see him cutting to 185 anymore)
Rampage vs. Feijao
Rampage vs. Maldonado

plenty of dope fights are there for Rampage

Feb 8, 2006
Champ Jon Jones on revealing UFC 182 promo: 'I was a little offended by it'

While nearly everyone seemed to enjoy the UFC’s hype package for UFC 182, one person who wasn’t impressed with the promo material is light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

Jones (20-1 MMA, 14-1 UFC) puts his belt on the line for the eighth time in a grudge match against Daniel Cormier (15-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) at the Jan. 3 fight card, which takes place at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. The event airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

The 154-second-long video first hit airways during the UFC 181 pay-per-view broadcast earlier this month. Clips from Jones’ infamous September brawl with Cormier are played along with highlights from a “hot mic” discussion with both fighters.

Cormier called Jones the “scum of the earth,” while the champion responds by announcing he could “absolutely kill” his upcoming opponent. Although the conversation had been much publicized prior to the promo video, Jones admits he was surprised the material was used to hype the fight.

“When I first saw it I was a little offended by it,” Jones said on FOX Sports 1’s “UFC Tonight.” “That the UFC, someone who’s supposed to be backing my brand and making me look good, would put up something like that for the general public to see. I don’t think it’s really healthy for the world to see their champion – for the world to see the UFC’s champion – saying I would kill someone, so that really took me off guard.”

Jones has had run-ins with UFC brass in the past, most notably the heated criticism he received from UFC President Dana White following the canceled UFC 151 event in September 2012.

“Bones” was scheduled to face Dan Henderson in the main event, but Henderson was forced out of the bout with injury less than two weeks out from the fight. Chael Sonnen offered to step in as a replacement, but Jones declined the fight. The company was left without a pay-per-view worthy headliner, and as a result, a numbered UFC card was scrapped from the calendar for the first time.

While Jones clearly wishes the promotion for the fight had been taken in a different direction, he said he accepts the UFC’s decision.

“I didn’t really think it was in my best interest,” Jones said. “But it was for the UFC’s best interest, so I kind of had to swallow my pride. I said it.”

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
He hasn't been in shape for any of his last ufc fights he trashed them but guess cause his name he would still sell decent since ufc brought him back today
He's fought 3 times since he was in the UFC, was in shape for all of them.

The only UFC fight he wasn't in shape for was the Bader fight. Out of his last 3 he was in great shape for the Bones and Glover fights, he just got beat because they were better.

Feb 10, 2006
Raphael Assuncao announces injury, second top bantam out of UFC title picture

As it turns out, former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz (20-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) isn’t the only top bantamweight who will be sitting on the sidelines.

Fellow title contender Raphael Assuncao (23-4 MMA, 7-1 UFC) today also announced a broken ankle has forced him to withdraw his name from consideration for a bout with current UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw (11-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC).

The news comes on the same day Cruz announced another knee injury has forced him out of the title picture, as well. It was a series of knee injuries that forced the former champ

Cruz is currently ranked No. 3 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA bantamweight rankings, while Assuncao checks in at No. 4.

Assuncao had been hoping for a rematch with Dillashaw, who he defeated in a controversial October 2013 decision in Brazil. Currently riding a seven-fight winning streak, Assuncao seemed the next in line following Cruz, but this injury will re-shuffle that title picture.

The dual injuries leave the UFC’s bantamweight title picture a bit unclear. Former champ Renan Barao (33-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC) currently sits at No. 2 in the rankings, but after a weight-cutting injury forced him to withdraw from a planned rematch with Dillashaw, the man who took his belt, the champ has seemed reluctant to jump back into the cage with the Brazilian.

Of course, Barao picked up a win at this past weekend’s UFC Fight Night 58 event and may very well become a default option, especially if Dillashaw and his Team Alpha Male teammate Urijah Faber keep to their current stated position of avoiding a potential matchup if at all possible.

Feb 10, 2006
Former UFC champ Dominick Cruz sidelined indefinitely with another ACL injury

WOW! Dom cannot catch a break!!

If Dominick Cruz wasn’t already the unluckiest fighter in the UFC from an injury standpoint, he pretty much has to be now.

Cruz announced on his Facebook page on Monday announced he has suffered another injury that will put him on the shelf for an as yet undetermined amount of time. This time, an injury to the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee is to blame.

“It is with great sadness to report I have experienced another ACL injury,” Cruz said on the social media site. “This time it’s in the right knee, opposite side of my first and second ACL injuries. Leading up to my last fight in September and after, I have practiced a very careful and methodical training and diet regime to keep my body healthy. Unfortunately, this is beyond my understanding and control. I don’t have a timetable for my return but trust and know I will pour my heart and soul into returning to the Octagon. I want to thank the UFC, my fans and my sponsors ahead of time for your support and prayers. I appreciate you more than you could understand. I don’t have any other facts to share right now. I, along with my camp, respectfully request privacy at this difficult time. Thank You.”

Prior to this, Cruz suffered two ACL injuries to his left knee, as well as a groin injury that kept him on the sideline for nearly three years. He returned in September and blitzed through Takeya Mizugaki for a first-round knockout.

Cruz’s (20-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) win over Mizugaki came at UFC 178 in Las Vegas. But prior to that, he last fought on Oct. 1, 2011, when he defended his bantamweight title against Demetrious Johnson at UFC on VERSUS 6 in Washington, D.C. Since that time, Johnson has dropped a weight class and won the flyweight title – and defended it four times, to give some type of understanding to just how long Cruz was sidelined.

Cruz suffered the first of his injuries in May 2012, when he blew out his left knee while coaching Season 15 of “The Ultimate Fighter” opposite rival Urijah Faber. That postponed their UFC 148 title fight. While rehabbing, Cruz had to undergo a second knee surgery in December 2012 when his body didn’t take to the first surgery properly.

After a lengthy rehab through all of 2013, Cruz was set for a title unification bout against then-interim champ Renan Barao at UFC 169. But once again, an injury took him out, this time a torn groin.

When that happened, he was stripped of his bantamweight title and Renan Barao, the interim titleholder, became the champion. After Cruz’s win over Mizugaki, it was looking increasingly like he might be in line for a fight against new champ T.J. Dillashaw, who beat Barao at UFC 173.

Feb 10, 2006
Team Alpha Male rep: T.J. Dillashaw vs. Urijah Faber 'highly unlikely'

The injuries of two top-tier bantamweights doesn’t necessarily open the door to a teammate vs. teammate title fight, according to the manager of Team Alpha Male’s T.J. Dillashaw (11-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) and Urijah Faber (32-7 MMA, 8-3 UFC).

Mike Roberts, who manages both bantamweight champ Dillashaw and top contender Faber, today told MMAjunkie he would “assume” Dillashaw’s next fight is a once-delayed rematch with ex-champ Renan Barao (33-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC) – not Faber.

“We would assume we’re probably fighting Barao, but ultimately the UFC is going to call and ask for something,” Roberts said.

Dillashaw’s next title defense was not yet booked when news broke that ex-UFC champ Dominick Cruz (20-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) had suffered another torn ACL and Raphael Assuncao (23-4 MMA, 7-1 UFC) had broken his ankle. But the two bantamweights were widely considered to be in the running for the No. 1 contender position – particularly Assuncao, who’s won his past seven fights.

With the pair now likely to be on the sidelines for the near future, the UFC is forced to look for another contender. And the search comes at a time where the promotion’s supply of viable candidates appears smaller than ever.

Barao, who lost the title to Dillashaw in May, could stand to benefit from the situation. UFC President Dana White sent him home without pay following a botched weight cut that scratched his title rematch with Dillashaw at August’s UFC 177. Dillashaw went on to face short-notice replacement Joe Soto and earn a fifth-round TKO.

Although Barao rebounded this past Saturday with a submission victory over Mitch Gagnon and made it clear he wants a rematch with Dillashaw, it’s unclear whether his win earns him the kind of goodwill that would convince the UFC to take another chance on him so soon after a high-profile issue.

That leaves Faber, potentially, as the most attractive candidate. The ex-champ recently earned a submission over standout Francisco Rivera, however controversial the fight’s ending proved to be.

But according to Roberts, despite a teammate vs. teammate fight having been once entertained by UFC President Dana White, it’s only a distant possibility that Faber would step into the octagon against champ Dillashaw, a longtime training partner.

“They’re brothers,” Roberts said. “I’ll never say never, but I would find that to be highly unlikely.”

Despite Barao’s past issues, the manager sees the ex-champ as the next logical fight. Now, it’s up for the UFC to decide whether necessity makes that so.

Feb 10, 2006
Lyoto Machida: Maybe a fight against Luke Rockhold would be excellent

BARUERI, Brazil – After more than seven years in the UFC, Lyoto Machida has firmly established himself as one of the most humble, respectful men in the sport. So when he talks about the mouth-watering proposition of a potential fight with Luke Rockhold, his reserved reply is not unexpected.

“Luke Rockhold has credentials in the UFC, so maybe a fight against him would be excellent,” Machida told MMAjunkie in his native Portuguese.

Yeah, maybe.

Prior to the Rockhold (13-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) callout, Machida headlined Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 58 event, which took place at Jose Correa Arena in Barueri, Sao Paulo, Brazil. Machida (22-5 MMA, 14-5 UFC) proved why he’s unquestionably one of the best middleweight fighters in the world while dismantling C.B. Dollaway (15-6 MMA, 9-6 UFC) in just 62 seconds, and then finishing him off with a thunderous kick to the body and a barrage follow-up punches (watch the Machida vs. Dollaway video highlights).

With his previous two fights going a full 25 minutes, Machida joked he needed to even things out a bit. But he also made it clear he wants to fight anyone who will get him closer to another shot at the middleweight belt.

“My last fight had been long, so this fight was short to compensate a bit,” Machida joked. “Seriously, C.B. is a tough guy, but the blow came in the right place, and he fell. I would now like to make a fight to take me for a new title fight.”

Rockhold would certainly seem to fit that bill.

Chasing his own UFC title shot, Rockhold is on a three-fight winning streak and currently sits No. 3 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA middleweight rankings. Machida is No. 6 (and Dollaway is No. 8).

Both Rockhold and UFC President Dana White have said it’s a fight they would like to see (via Twitter).
L @Luke Rockhold @lyotomachidafw I have been ready bro!!!! I get home tomorrow and will call u this week.

— Dana White (@danawhite) December 21, 2014

When and where the fight could take place remains to be seen. There are a few other key fights lined up on the middleweight calendar right now, but not too many are bigger than the potential for Machida vs. Rokchold.

“The Dragon” said he’ll wait to hear what’s next.

“It could be Luke Rockhold or another,” Machida said. “I’m prepared to face anyone.”

Feb 10, 2006

LOL

Marc Raimondi ‏@marc_raimondi 2m2 minutes ago
The UFC 183 poster looks like Anderson Silva is farting out Nick Diaz in a mist. Other than that, though, it’s cool.

Feb 10, 2006
Brett Okamoto ‏@bokamotoESPN 4m4 minutes ago
Dominick Cruz says this ACL will be "quick fix" compared to the last. Committed to being back in one year, probably immediately title fight.