HOW TO SELL YOUR CD ON THE STREET!!!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 9, 2008
In my opinion and experience location plays a big roll in selling cds... You would think the local college campus would be a great place to sell cds as i once did...but it's not, most college students is broke muthafuckas saving there money for beer and weed...lol On the other hand i've had it sold up at the mall and several occasions!! People are usually already there to spend money and when you got product in hand they don't hesitate to buy..However mall security is lil bitches and you need to look out for them cuz they will act like fags and try to kick you out! Another good place in my experience is clubs (but only dudes!!) bitches tend to come to the club wit no money at all and no pockets to carry it..not only that but they always think they entitled to free shit!! You need to find them drunk muthafuckas wit a pocket full of bills..and it don't hurt if they got a bitch wit em.. in my experience they buy em for there ladies or are more willing to fork out doe in front of a bitch to impress them or make the girl think they a "nice guy!" Also the biggest problem i've noticed wit other artist sellin cds is they mark there price up to dam much!! As an indie you are not going to get $15 a cd in most cases! If you paying any more then a $1 a cd to press your gettin ripped off!! Mark that shit up to $5, a good way to move alot of units fast and still turn a profit...and when you in a club setting $5 is much more appealing then 10 or 15 cuz it's the cost of a drink.. and when they pass on it clown em like "dam you can't even afford a drink" and guilt them into a sale..lol just a few things that have worked for me in the past...

Apr 8, 2004
some interesting ideas in this thread. my question to an artist considering this approach would be what is your end goal? do you want to make a few chips or do you want to spread word of mouth about your talent (assuming you have some)?

if you want to spread word of mouth than a few hand to hand cd sales isn't going to do too much for your career. demolition men did it, but their product has broad appeal. imo your money, and more importantly your time, is better invested in developing a website where people can download your music for free. then build a way for you to keep in touch with your fans. don't just rely on myspace; build your own social network and own your data. this will allow you to build a relationship with them so they will come to your shows and support your future efforts.

aspire to reach the masses

Apr 8, 2004
a good example would be to have a ghtto blaster, with your music. then have a flyer with your website on it. hand it to passerbys and tell them if they want to get a copy go to the website and download it for FREE. make sure to track your web analytics. 100

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
i have never bought a cd off no one on the streets because the simple fact that they try and run game by "not running game"

miss me with all that talking bullshit and carry your shit on mp3 with some headphones so i can hear that shit before i buy.

May 24, 2009
www.myspace.com
Im glad to see that this thread is picking up. I personally was planning on going out with just some burned cds but after reading what every one is saying it looks like that isnt going to work. Here are the key points I think everyone agrees on.

1. Appearance -You are in a job interview trying to get hired at hip-hop. Come fitted.
2. Approach-Open up with something original and captivating.
3. Product-Do not go out there with some thrift store status cds.
4. Sell-Ask for the sale, rebuttal, don't be too stiff on price, close the deal.

May 24, 2009
www.myspace.com
HERE IS MY PLAN FOR THIS SUMMER. TELL ME WHAT YOU GUYS THINK. READ ALLLL OF THIS, ITS A LOT BUT ITS GOOD SHIT!!!

My goal is to distribute 10,000 digital or hard copies of my cd by August, 1st 2009.
I dont care if they are all sold or all given out for free. I plan to hit, sf, la, san diego, santa cruz, and las vegas.

Your probably thinking, dam that is a waste of money to print up 10,000 cds and not care if they all go for free or not. But here is the full picture.

I use to work at Best Buy, so my discount there is 100 blank cds for $7 and 50 thin plastic cases for $3. Im going to take the first batch of 100 burn them out and put them in sleeves. Im ordering 250 business cards for $6 off of overnightprints.com On the business card its going to have all my contact info and a short description of me as an artist and my goal to distribute 10,000 copies by august 1st, asking people to follow up and see what kind of progress im making. The business card is going to look way more pro then my cds but every cd will come with one. here is how im making up for the home made cds.

I figured, what makes people pay $10 for lil waynes cd or Kanyes, or even some whack artists like Mike Jones that most of us can rap better than. The difference between me and mike is credibility. Hes put in his work, he has the credibility. Here is how Im going to nail that aspect. My friend has a nice video camera with the boom mic, hes coming along. My other two close friends dont do shit all day and have nothing better to do then come out with me. So now instead of one black guy standing on the corner, its 4 people, having a cypher trying to promote a rapper. That will catch peoples attention, here is the cash crop.

I have a clothing line. Legit. Clothing (www.legitup.spreadshirt.com) and I also run a screen printing business (www.thecvprint.com) so basically what that means is that I can make my t-shirts for helllllla cheap. $1.77 each to be exact. Now, as I stated before my cds are gonna be looking home made but the fact that im going to be out there with four people all wearing the same shirts will add a lot of credibility.

Heres another aspect Im adding to it. Me (the artist) im going to have a hand full of cds and im going to be rapping to instrumentals being played on an ipod dock, the same songs that are on the cd. Im going to have a playlist of both instrumentals and both real songs to play for people or to perform to people. So now what do we have?

We have 4 people, one video taping a guy rapping, one rapping, two people rockn to it and asking people to check out the cd. And they are all wearing the same Legit. Shirts.

Alright, now here is all the ways to profit off this.

1. Offering the cd for $1.00 if they cant afford that then we give it to them for free. no hassle, no rebuttals. (you will notice that after one person buys one for only a $1.00 everyone else will feel like its okay to pull out there wallets too.) By asking for $1.00, you can say "Im just trying to promote with out going broke" (it rimes too) people will say "dam this guy is legit with his shit, ima throw him $5" or they will say "shit, $1.00 fuck it gimme one."

2. People may stop and watch me rap, they put money in the jar.

3. Offering the home made ghetto burned cd ANNNDDD a shirt for $10, dont got $10 its kew gimme $5. You cant find a shirt for $5, thats a deal in its self. On top of that people who dont like hip hop might still like the shirt. So by doing that I just expanded my market from people who support bay area artist, to anyone that thinks the shirt is half decent. MORE POSSIBLE BUYERS.

All of those three things are profitable and get me out there. Once a bank roll is established from the shirts and ghetto burned cds, the cds themselves will be upgraded. Making the hustle even more Legit. At the end of the day, if you are a rapper, you are an entertainer. If you cant entertain, people will not pay. Though because of cops and security this would have to be toned down in certain areas, or you may just have to execute different variations, but this is a grand hustle on a recession budget.

heres the numbers on a low estimate
10,000 copies.
--1 out of 3 CD's you sell for $1.00 thats =$3330.00 with some change.(if you can sell good, this should be 1 out of 2)

--for every 10 cds handed out you sell 1 shirt at $5.00 each that =$5,000.00 (if you can sell, this should be 1 for 5 which is $10,000. or if you sold them at $10 a pop, it would be $20,000.00

--lets say $20 in jar tips, every time you go out to sell and you went out twice a week. over four months, which is how long it takes to get out 10,000 cds, thats another $640.00 (for those bad at math, 16 weeks in 4 months, you go out twice each week and make $20, thats $20 times 32)

total earnings for 4-6 months work
cds=$3330.00 if sold for $1 each
shirts=$10,000.00 if sold for $5 each
jar tips=$640.00 if you made $20 all 32 times you went out.

TOTAL: $13,970.00 for 6 months of HARD work. not including all the connections you get from giving out 10,000 cds which lead to paid shows and more sales.

so after expenses you make about $9,000. cus its $1000 for all the cds, and $3000 for all the shirts.
YOUR TIME IS WORTHLESS UR NOT FAMOUS YET. so im not including that in expenses.

LONG POST. BUT DOES IT MAKE SENSE?

Dec 2, 2006
understanding that getting your name and product out there is a step in the right direction. imo, you have to be built for the hand to hand sales nowadays. it is a definate seperation from the cd's on the shelf that stay right where they are at.

May 21, 2002
hogglife916.com
I almost forgot the main thing now this is important !!!! if your tryin to get some CD's pushed on the streets make sure you give a free copy to every car with major slap cuz if it sounds right everybody gonna hear cuz your music plus 4 15's in the trunk gets heard all over the town....

Jan 5, 2009
This was big in Frisco, when I was 15-16 (my sophomore year of high school)I was out in downtown selling CDs everyday after school making $100 at the lowest a day, and honestly my music at the time was badly recorded, paper inserts, and it was bad... I was young and really hungry... but by the time I got to be a senior in high school, people hardly bought CDs, this was 2008.. it was very hard pushing a better product... but I did find it easier online... the internet changed the game... its good to be on the streets and interact with people, but if you trying to make money invest your time on the internet...

Oct 11, 2002
I'm finding that I can have the best of both worlds. I take my blackberry and laptop with me when I'm out making street sales. During slow times, I can send out shit from the laptop and track my email, cdbaby, tunecore, etc from my blackberry.

I like to hit the streets because it's something about when you really impress somebody and they give you that positive energy. Makes being a independent artist more rewarding when you know SOMEBODY fuckin wit you. Plus I always take something Russell Simmons said to heart and I'm paraphrasing "The music business is conducted outside the office". Again 2 cents....

Dec 26, 2004
It be a good idea havin a boombox wit you to let the person hear your music. I hit some powwows seein some Nativez sentin up booth wit the music playin, also rappin wit the music.
Also a package is good too. 2 CDs for less, wit a poster.

Jan 5, 2009
i was around the best cd street hustlas in the bay. Evenodds & Official Bizness Ent. We would spend dumb ass hours gettin cd's off like it was a fuckin job. Have to take lunch breaks and shit...lol
I was maybe in 8th grade 2003/2004 cant remember..seeing evenodds and the officials out in downtown... I remember Shay Sanchez always freestylin, and thats how I picked up a couple years after that with my product

Sep 17, 2007
I was maybe in 8th grade 2003/2004 cant remember..seeing evenodds and the officials out in downtown... I remember Shay Sanchez always freestylin, and thats how I picked up a couple years after that with my product
yep i was right there wit'um. Shay Sanchez had krazy freestyles. He came at you straight raw too. All up in ya grill in shit. lol Workin hard for the $5.

Aug 27, 2002
i didnt read all the post but one very important thing is dont have a bunch of ur dumb ass homies with you.its alwayz some dude on the side of the artist runnin his mouth o buy my homies cd dog my homie got stupid flow he b putin it down u need to cop that.and on top of that pull ur fuckin pants up stop rollin blunts on the side. and stop askin bitches for their number while ur homies tryin to do bizznezz dumb ass.and last thing is look like a professional every fuckin word out ur mouth dont have to b slang n dont have 50 people with you jumpin around causin a scene and drawing attention

May 24, 2009
www.myspace.com
i didnt read all the post but one very important thing is dont have a bunch of ur dumb ass homies with you.its alwayz some dude on the side of the artist runnin his mouth o buy my homies cd dog my homie got stupid flow he b putin it down u need to cop that.and on top of that pull ur fuckin pants up stop rollin blunts on the side. and stop askin bitches for their number while ur homies tryin to do bizznezz dumb ass.and last thing is look like a professional every fuckin word out ur mouth dont have to b slang n dont have 50 people with you jumpin around causin a scene and drawing attention
You definitely should have read the full post before you posted up anything, your extremely negative and condescending. You should educated yourself about the topic at hand thoroughly before you decide to drop in your two sense. Everything you said has already been brought up and discussed in a much more effective way. What you should have said is what not to do, why not to do it, and then give alternatives.