HOW TO SELL YOUR CD ON THE STREET!!!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 24, 2009
www.myspace.com
You are a black guy, standing on the street with a hand full of home made cds, why should someone cash out to buy it? Never having heard your music before or even heard of you. If anything, they will cross the street to avoid you nagging them about buying a cd. Lets face it, people dont even buy cds of their favorite artist, why in the hell would they buy from you, you are nobody. Shit, people dont even want a free cd now a days. BUT

Almost every rapper that has ever made a living in the bay area doing hip hop music has had to go out on the streets and sell their cd at one point. This is a very difficult thing to do, especially now a days where people associate rap with bad music. Rock bands dont do this, jazz musicians rarely do, its only rap where the artists himself goes out and tries to push cds. SO HOW DO YOU SELL?

Lets say on the off chance that your music is good, and on the even farther off chance that your quality is good. In about 10 seconds, What can you say or do to capture someones attention to bring them in for a sale. I have a few tricks up my sleeve but I want to hear your ideas.

Aug 20, 2003
YOU REALLY HAVE TO BE A PEOPLE PERSON TO GET CD'S OFF IN THE STREET.SOMETHING IVE LEARNED ALONG THE WAY IS HIT UP EVERYONE.NOT JUST PEOPLE YOU THINK WOULD BUY YOUR CD.I CANT TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES IVE HIT UP PEOPLE ,THAT DONT LOOK LIKE THEY LISTEN TO RAP AND THEY HAVE BOUGHT MY CD'S.DONT BE DISCOURAGED 10 PEOPLE CAN TURN YOU DOWN BUT THE NEXT 10 CAN BUY YOUR CD.

Dec 9, 2003
the proof is in the pudding you gotta either pull up your 72 cut like the click, slappin or your i-pod slappin lol. but like blud above said "people person" my folks made a few k on his underground hip hop thang. just rubbing shoulders in the BAY. don't give up, never accept no for an answer. and don't embarass us, give us a good look. you never know mf might by your shit, because of the last mf they met. that came at them correct.

May 24, 2009
www.myspace.com
GREAT THREAD! Not every body is built to be sales people on the street or the shop. So if you DONT have any type of SALE/PEOPLE skills its really a rap for you. YOUR CD WILL NOT SELL ITS SELF IN THE STORE IF YOU AS A ARTIST NEVER RELEASED A REAL CD BEFORE. The trick is to be consistent with a sales pitch and have a rebuttal for any thing the person throws you. We have everybody from Fans, old people, pimp's, playas, and hustlas who buy our CD's because of our hustle, mouth pieces, and quality of music. You can eat independently off of this music game and we are proof. The car in this video is just 1 of many thing we got from working hard in this rap game. REAL SPIT.

remeber IT CAN BE DONE!
I think the "People Skills" is the biggest part of it. You want people to be happy to buy your cd and help you out. Not only that, but something I learned from Best Buy is personal selling. In other words, you ask them questions about the music they listen to and their favorite artists. If you can strike up a conversation with someone, chances are they will buy your cd and if they really dont have money just remember its the bay area, everyone knows someone that does music. If they cant pay you in cash, they can pay you with who they know and who they can refer you too. If you give out a hundred cds, you should have entered at least 20 cellphone numbers and myspace urls into your phone.

Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com
Have something interesting to say. dont just run up on people like 'yo do you like hip-hop' that's the oldest line out there. maybe in 92 or something that would have got a reaction. explain yourself and what you're trying to accomplish.

have some decent-looking product. if youve got enough of a budget for some cool artwork, shrinkwrappin, and all that legit stuff, then spend it. if you've just got a burned cd, a slim case and a sharpie, step it up. a little one-sided flyer for a cover isnt that much dough.

be able to do something live. bring a boombox and bump your shit. freestyle. if you can entertain someone right then and there they already know they'll like your cd.

also pick a good location. most people chill outside of amoeba or rasputins, which is koo. but hit up other rappers performances, especially those with similar styles to yours. also just mass gatherings of people. carnivals, street fairs, festivals, holiday celebrations, stuff like that.

the most important thing to me is time. you gotta be able to put work into that shit like it's a job. for me since i already got a job and i'm in school i never was really able to put the full amount of time in. theres a lot of situations where youll be standing around for hours without sellin shit, and ya gotta be willing to deal with that. but the more you do it the better your hustle gets and eventually you end up sellin more. i been sellin CDs of mine since i was 17 so my hustle is getting stronger now that im 22.

thats a lot of info but its 100% real independent frisco game for ya!!

Jul 29, 2008
hit up Sonny Bo in the so cal forum... that dude does shit hand to hand combat, but the quality of his product.. outstanding. I think quality goes along way too. But at the same time, I always say i expect an underground rapper to not be mainstream product status... but I've picked up some dope cds off people just sellin shit for 5 -10 bucks.

Sep 17, 2007
i was around the best cd street hustlas in the bay. Evenodds & Official Bizness Ent. We would spend dumb ass hours gettin cd's off like it was a fuckin job. Have to take lunch breaks and shit...lol

May 29, 2008
www.reverbnation.com
Presentation, Gift Of Spit, Quality Product

Very good thread... i wanted to add a few things like presentation of self, you should look like your out trying to sell a good product, some people look like they just cut school. Unfortunately we live in a society where most people will judge a person on looks before listening to what they have to say, so your persona should be inviting to normal people that are passing by. (*imo) Having a small mat set up with all the cd's side by side and a radio like the great demolition men was always inviting...... I also think if you have somethin playing it should help you pass the time.

From a sales point of view, being a people person is very important, you should always look someone in the eye when speaking to them. Try and speak clearly, and loud enough that they can catch all your sales points, your probably in a crowded spot, so you want them to hear you and not just have you drowned out by the area.

Also the actual product, which many of you touched on in this thread is very important, i honestly think if you have it in shrink wrap, a barcode, etc. I will pay for it and give you my hard earned money to help benefit the music. But if it is a printout folded 4 times to make a cover, and burn disc with sharpee scratch on it, I would expect you to be giving it away in order to gain an audience. places i suggest that i have personally sold cds at and should be profitable are : carshows, the puerto rican fest (San Jose) The Raider Games (Oakland - watch out for cops) Fisherman's Wharf (SF - watch out for cops) and then at almost every gas station and liquor store i go to, i try and place some in.

May 21, 2002
hogglife916.com
I try and support all local artist but heres a few things not to do

1. dont try and sell me your CD for more than 5bucks
2. sometimes I dont got bread and im off my debit card so dont get mad and say keep it movin then cuz this will result in me not buyin your CD next time and gettin socked in the head area and ran out of your grind spot as ive done a couple of times by Big Hollis CD 1 store.
3. dont smell like a bag of asses and look like a dirty ass bum

but do take the time to at least get a cheap labeling program and look half ass respectable instead of writing your name in chicken scratch so if you ever drop a real CD and I was feelin it i will cop it cuz I can read your name

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
In my opinion, selling any tangible product, be it cds, cars, insurance, is a game of selling yourself. People always put extra emphasis on secondary things rather than focusing their attention inward. Selling is about rapport building, effective communication, and the ability to deal with rejection and still persist. There is a Christian rapper who is in the mall 7 days a week where I live pushing his cd. His product is a cd-r in a slim case with a cover made of printer paper, and he sells like a mother fucker. Why? Because he understands the skill of selling. Notice I said "skill" rather than "gift" or "art", which are words that imply exclusivity. Truth is, selling is a skill that just about anyone can learn...probably one of the most valuable skill there is, because it bleeds into so many other skills.

and somebody earlier said something about not using "Hey, do you listen to hip hop?" as an opening line...I find that laughable. Why not? You are selling a Hip Hop cd aren't you? That is called qualifying your customer. If they say no, it saves you 30 seconds that could be spent talking to someone who listens to hip hop.

Jun 12, 2003
on thing that i run into at rasputins parking lot is fools bugging and bugging for me 2 buy there shit, that shit dont work lol makes me wanna bounce even more lol..oh yea be clean not all grimey cuz it makes it look like u gunna buy sum crack after u sell a cd

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
why sell on the street when u got the internet? thats the streets now.
Good point. But regardless if you are on the streets or on the internet, you still have to develop the skill of selling. And when you are online, its a different approach. You have to create trust and credibility out of thin air...because online, you are just a screen name and an email address.

Oct 11, 2002
First of all you have to have the wherewithal to deal with ppl telling you no. Remember this IS a no business and the sooner you get the no's out the way the closer you are to the yes's. Second always and I mean ALWAYS care about the presentation of your product. NEVER try to sell anyone a CD with your name written in sharpie. Save that shit for your personal burnt copies. Ppl will automatically degrade your music because you obviously dont care much for it. It's very inexpensive to buy printable CD/DVD's and most printers made now will print full color on your CD. Make sure you include all of your pertinent information on the CD. (phone, website, myspace etc) because you never know when somebody might need another copy. (if you're any good, they're homies will steal the CD)

One of the main things I've learned to do is to look at street sales more promotional. Take the pressure off of yourself and the person and just ask them to listen. While they are listening try to gauge their body language. If they're feeling it but claim to have no money, fine as long as they listened. ALWAYS ASK FOR THE SALE!!! Have rebuttals because most ppl want to say No the first time. Never go out there lookin bummy. As much as people deny it or try to play it off, pushing your own product (whatever it is) is impressive to people. Everybody likes a gogetter. Stay persistent, never EVER take a NO personal, and always respect your prospect. Dont get mad if they dont want your CD, just keep making dope music and when they FINALLY want to buy your music charge em more. lol.

Make sure your music is available online and display it on your product. Let people that decide to pass know your music is available online. You never know when someone REALLY liked your music but just didnt have the cash. Street sales and promotion is about making a personal connection with fans. Buying online will never create that memory in the fans head. Talk to people, show them you are serious about your business, create a memory so when you come to mind they feel like they are apart of something. A fan that can say "I met him" will feel like they know you more than the cat they just followed an ad and bought a download. I have people who buy my new CD's because they met me in the streets years ago and saw my hunger, determination and hustle. People can never look you in the eyes and see you're desire for this shit online. Just my 2 cents....

IF UR GONNA SELL UR MUZIC HAND TO HAND, HAVE UR PRODUCT LOOKIN LIKE U SPENT MONEY ON URSELF FIRST. CD COVER, IN PLASTIC & SHRINK WRAPPED WITH THE NAMES OF THE SONGS IS LIKE COMIN TO A JOB INTERVIEW IN A SUIT AND TIE, ITS PROFESSIONAL. HAVIN UR CD IN A CD SLIP WIT MARKER ON THE CD IS LIKE GOIN TO A JOB INTERVIEW IN SHORTS AND A TANK TOP.

I FEEL IF U GOT UR MUZIC IN A CD SLIP WIT MARKER ON IT SAVE THAT FOR UR HOMEBOYS AND JUS USE THAT TO PASS OUT FOR FREE JUS TO GET PEOPLE TO LISTEN TO UR SHIT AND HAVE A IDEA OF WAT POTENTIAL U GOT.

AND ALSO HAVE A CD PLAYER ON DECK SO I CAN LISTEN TO A TRACK OR SO, I DONT WANNA BELIEVE U WITHOUT HEARIN UR SHIT, THEN GET IN THE RIDE AND THROW IT OUT THE WINDOW 10 MINS LATER. THATS LIKE RIPPIN $5 or $10 UP AND THROWIN IT OUT IN THE STREET. NOBODY LIKES TO FEEL HAD

WITH THAT SAID THATS WHY I PUT MUZIC 4 THA MOBB ON THE NET FOR FREE JUS TO GET THE WORD AROUND. AND AS WE ADD PEOPLE ON MYSPACE WE COMMENT THE LINK WIT THE IMEEM PLAYLIST. WE GOT OVER 700 DOWNLOADS AND I DROPPED IT ON MARCH 26TH. MY SIG IS MY BILLBOARD

why sell on the street when u got the internet? thats the streets now.
CUZ UR IN DIRECT CONTACT WIT THE BUYER, U CAN SEE WHERE UR CD IS GOIN IF U SELL IT. PLUS WIT INTERNET U GOTTA BUY PROMO TO GET ON MAJOR WEBSITES, SUM WILL DO IT FOR FREE AND THATS ALL LUV.

EITHER WAY THO U GOTTA HAVE A GOOD FEEL OF BOTH STREETS SELLS-MANSHIP AND INTERNET SAVVY

Nov 8, 2007
I WOULD SUGGEST HAVING A BUSINESS CARD OR FLYER ALSO. CUZ I RUN INTO PEOPLE SELLING CDS AND MOST OF THE TIME I DONT CARRY CASH . SO I ASK EM FOR THE MYSPACE OR ASK IF THEY SELLIN ON CDBABY OR SOMETHIN. IF THEY DONT GOT A CARD OR SOMETHIN THEY USUALY DONT HAVE A PEN AND PAD TO WRITE DOWN THEIR CONTACT INFO .

ALSO NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE SELLING CDS. BUT IF UR OUTSIDE OF RASPUTINS SELLING YOUR CD FOR 10 BUCKS MAKES SURE ITS NOT ON THE CLEARANCE RACK FOR $3.95 INSIDE THE STORE.