Do you believe in the soul?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Do you believe in the soul?

• Yea

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • dont care

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
ThaG said:
OK, but even when I'm in my car, I can still be seen from outside, not to mention that both me and my car and entirely material, measaruble and observable....
I understand that both the person and the car are material and can be observed with the senses. I made the analogy to show how just because the mental capacity in a body changes due to brain damage, this does not necessarily mean that the self has changed. It is only a change in the capacity in which the conscious entity fills.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
well, it wasn't the greatest analogy...

let's consider the evidence:

we know how neurons signal to each other - through electrical impulses, ion channels and signaling molecules

we know that if the brain is damaged, the cognitive functions are disrupted

we know that if a specific part of the brain is damaged, some defined set of cognitive functions is disrupted

we know that mutations in certain genes result in severe mental retardation or behaviorial anomalies

we know that certain chemicals can entirely change the behaviorial characteristics of people

we know the molecules these chemicals act on and the mechanisms by which they exert their action

out of all this we draw the conclusion that our cognitive abilites and "consciousness" are governed by the never observed and never proven "soul"....

this must be some very sophisticated and abstract logic because I just don't see it....

Apr 4, 2006
2-0-Sixx said:
I don't know, I've asked this question before and have yet received a real definition. Perhaps someone can offer one...
i think most people believe there's a consciouness after we die.so wouldnt that mean that our conscience is our soul ?I go back and forth on that shit.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
k-nine said:
i think most people believe there's a consciouness after we die.so wouldnt that mean that our conscience is our soul ?I go back and forth on that shit.

why do you think what "most people believe" must be true?

Mar 12, 2005
ThaG said:

why do you think what "most people believe" must be true?
Cause according to your "know it all" ass, you go by what MOST SCIENTISTS say right? According to the POPULAR studies, along with your own research you still claim the studies still under investigation to be true.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
The Red Sin said:
Cause according to your "know it all" ass, you go by what MOST SCIENTISTS say right? According to the POPULAR studies, along with your own research you still claim the studies still under investigation to be true.
I am going by what scientists say and what scientists say is what has been experimentally supported

what most people say has nothing to do with experiments and science as obviously most people are not scientists....

May 16, 2002
Have you ever seen a dead body?

When you look into it's eyes somethin is missing. And it's not just rigomortis and stuf like that. You can feel that somethin is missin and it looks jus like a "shell". Even animals understand death. Like you know how people tell you that if you have two pets and one of them dies your suppossed to let the live one see and smell the dead one or it will keep actin as if the other one is still alive. Like it'll wait at the same door at a specific time and stuff like that. Because it needs closure.

If you thought that there was no afterlife then it would be pretty devastatin to see somethin die. And I don't think you'd ever have "closure". Jus panic cuz it would mean that you were gonna die forever. Then people wouldn't ever try to learn things they would jus try to have as much pleasure as possible at the cost of all those who surround them. Cuz who would want to live a sad and miserable short life with any pain or struggle at all?

Your soul is your purpose. Your mortal life is your motivation. It's suppossed to reinforce your belief in somethin better. It gives you directions for the "next level" in your path to constantly move forward. Faith is trust or we would all be jus paranoid maniacs. To take advantage of faith is the revealation of truth of your intentions. It reveals your soul not your mortal fleshy mask.

I can't explain to you what your soul is but I know it's there. I can only explain to you the rules of the world we live in now. On this physical level.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Ender said:

When you look into it's eyes somethin is missing. And it's not just rigomortis and stuf like that. You can feel that somethin is missin and it looks jus like a "shell". Even animals understand death. Like you know how people tell you that if you have two pets and one of them dies your suppossed to let the live one see and smell the dead one or it will keep actin as if the other one is still alive. Like it'll wait at the same door at a specific time and stuff like that. Because it needs closure.
so because you can "feel" it, it certainly exists....

If you thought that there was no afterlife then it would be pretty devastatin to see somethin die. And I don't think you'd ever have "closure". Jus panic cuz it would mean that you were gonna die forever. Then people wouldn't ever try to learn things they would jus try to have as much pleasure as possible at the cost of all those who surround them. Cuz who would want to live a sad and miserable short life with any pain or struggle at all?
I've said this million times - what you want (eternal life in this case) and what is are not necessarily the same thing

just because life would be "sad and miserable short" without afterlife and soul doesn't mean we have to believe in something we have no reason to think it exists

there is something much worse than the short and miserble life - it is a short and miserable life lived in a lie

Your soul is your purpose. Your mortal life is your motivation. It's suppossed to reinforce your belief in somethin better. It gives you directions for the "next level" in your path to constantly move forward. Faith is trust or we would all be jus paranoid maniacs. To take advantage of faith is the revealation of truth of your intentions. It reveals your soul not your mortal fleshy mask.

I can't explain to you what your soul is but I know it's there
. I can only explain to you the rules of the world we live in now. On this physical level.
this says it all - I don't know what it is, I can't prove you it exists, but believe me, it's there and I will base my whole life on that idea and you have to do the same...

something's seriously wrong with "spiritual" people

Aug 8, 2003
Ender said:

When you look into it's eyes somethin is missing. And it's not just rigomortis and stuf like that. You can feel that somethin is missin and it looks jus like a "shell".
i worked around 6 months at a mortuary, transporting and picking up bodies.. i kno exactly what your talking about.. u can see that theres no longer life in a dead persons eyez, they seem to stare off into nothingness..

Ender said:

I can't explain to you what your soul is but I know it's there. I can only explain to you the rules of the world we live in now. On this physical level.
good observations