Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 8, 2006
Luis Arias released from Mayweather Promotions

Luis Arias terminated from Mayweather Promotions
October 29, 2014
By:Chris DeGuia
Boxing prospect Luis Arias has been released from Mayweather Promotions. Luis heard he was released by getting a phone call last Saturday by J'Leon Love. Arias never signed any contract to be with Mayweather Promotions. Instead both Luis and Floyd Mayweather Jr. reached a verbal agreement. Arias believed the reason why he was released was due to the Rahman brothers friendship he has. The brothers are suing Floyd Mayweather for battery, false imprisonment, negligent hiring, supervision and retention and unjust enrichment.
Was that the reason why Arias was released from Mayweather Promotions due to his relationship with the Rahman brothers? who are suing Mayweather?

Feb 8, 2006
ANDRE DIRRELL EAGER FOR REMATCH WITH CARL FROCH: "I WANT TO PROVE TO THE WORLD THAT I DON'T HAVE A BLEMISH ON MY RECORD"

"I talked about [Carl] Froch getting out of the game. I know he's talking about retirement and I know every fight that he has from here on in that he's definitely looking at retirement because I seen it online. I'm just hoping we can definitely get that fight to happen because he's a tough fighter, man. He's one of the best when it comes to toughness and he's going to give you a show every time he steps in that ring," stated super middleweight contender Andre Dirrell

"He's really one of the few Europeans who can really retire and say that he's done it all. The man won and lost championships a few times, but he came back and he's always determined. You can beat Froch 10 times and I bet he comes back in the 11th fight better than the last 10. So I'm hoping to get that fight with him because that's something he'd have to look at as undone on his resume," Dirrell explained. "He can say he beat me – it's on record, it's on paper – but the world knows I didn't lose that fight. I may have fought the wrong fight, but I still won the fight and I believe I could've did a lot better. He has to look at that and the fans will definitely tell him. It would be a pleasure for me, man, because I want to prove to the world that I don't have a blemish on my record, which I do. That's a question mark for Froch. They can say he beat Dirrell, but can they really say it?"

Dirrell added, "I know he didn't, so I really want that chance again. I'm not going to sit up here and say I'm going to feed into Froch's fight, 'cause I'm not, but it's not going to be the same Dirrell. He's going to get a fight. He's definitely not going to see somebody who's moving as much and I'll have the perfect game plan for Froch and I really want to display it. If he thinks he can beat me, then come and get the job done. If you don't feel like there's nothing to prove right now because I'm in the spot that I'm in, then so be it, but I guarantee you, down the line, I'll be the marquee name at 168 pounds. So I'll want that rematch, whether it's now or later."

Feb 8, 2006
CHRIS ALGIERI EXPLAINS WHY HE CHOSE BOXING OVER MIXED MARTIAL ARTS AFTER HIS KICKBOXING CAREER

"That never crossed my mind. I respect the hell out of the guys who compete in the sport. It takes a tremendous amount of discipline and hard work. There's so many aspects to that game, but for me to want to be an MMA fighter, never a day in mind," stated undefeated WBO jr. welterweight champion Chris Algieri, who explained why he decided to pursue a career in professional boxing, as opposed to mixed martial arts, following a decorated amateur and professional kickboxing career. Despite the fact that mixed martial arts was growing exponentially at the time when Algieri was making his decision to turn pro, the thought of becoming a world champion in an organization like the UFC was never a goal of the Huntington native.

"I didn't grow up watching MMA. There was no UFC when I was a kid and there was no MMA when I was a kid, so for me, I'm living my childhood dream. I get to do what I was watching as a kid and wanted to be like. There wasn't MMA then. I didn't grow up dreaming of being an MMA champion, so for me to pursue that now, I just feel like there would be something missing and I wouldn't be as satisfied as where I am right now," Algieri explained during a recent conversation with FightHype.com. "I was a martial artist first. I played every sport as a kid, but I really didn't find my niche until I was in individual stuff. Like swimming, my first sport, and then martial arts. I started martial arts and I always liked to fight and be physical, so it was a good fit for me. We had kickboxers in my gym, but I always wanted to be a boxer."

Although he has no desire himself to compete in the sport, Algieri does enjoy a good mixed martial arts scrap from time to time. "I do [watch MMA]. I train at an MMA gym in Long Island, Bellmore Kickboxing Academy. We have multiple guys in the UFC training out of our gym under Keith Trimble. I follow most of my friend's fights more than the mainstream stuff, but some of the guys that I train with are pretty mainstream guys," he added. Fortunately for Algieri, he made the right decision in pursuing his boxing dreams. Not only did he achieve his goal of becoming a world champion, but he's also about to collect a check far greater than most mixed martial artists ever see when he steps into the ring to face 8-division world champion Manny Pacquiao on November 22.

Feb 8, 2006
Rigondeaux Ready For Lomachenko, Gonzalez in 2015

By Ryan Burton

WBA/WBO junior featherweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux's promotional contract with Top Rank expired after his 1st round knockout of Sod Kokietgym in Macau, China in July. Rigondeaux had been co-promoted by Top Rank and Caribe Promotions. Rigondeaux is still promoted by the Miami, Florida based promotional outfit who is currently looking for a new co-promoter.

BoxingScene.com recently caught up with Caribe Promotions President Boris Arencibia to get an update on Rigondeaux's career. Arencibia said that the plan is for Rigondeaux to return to the ring in December and then they want to line up a big fight in 2015 for the two-time Olympic gold medalist.

"We are confirming a date in December for Rigondeaux and for 2015 we are in discussions with various promoters," said Arencibia. "For example we are speaking to Jhonny Gonzalez's promoter (Osvaldo Kuchle of Promociones del Pueblo) and we want to make a proposition to fight him at 126 pounds. We are focused on making a big fight in 2015. It is what we want, to make a competitive fight that will bring out the best in Rigondeaux against fighters that want to try to beat him and not just survive.

"The problem is that everyone always criticizes Rigondeaux but then when they step in the ring with him they don't fight in a way to beat him so how can (Rigondeaux) just be the only one attacking and be on offense when his opponent doesn't fight back? Boxing is like dancing, it takes two, it is hard for one fighter to make a great fight so what we are doing is looking for a fighter willing to really fight Rigondeaux. We are looking for a fighter who is coming to try to win in 2015."

Arencibia said that Rigondeaux is willing to fight anywhere and that they don't have a problem fighting Gonzalez in his homeland. The Cuban promoter said that the main problem is that the other champions in Rigondeaux's division don't have the guts to face the unified champion.

"Mexico supports their fighters and has a lot of fans that support boxing. We are willing to fight anywhere in the world. If we are going to fight over there it is very important to make a fight versus a Mexican fighter. For example we have made it known that we want to fight Leo Santa Cruz and he has publicly said that he wants to fight but when he leaves the ring he acts differently. (Carl) Frampton doesn't want to see Rigondeaux across the ring from him either. The problem is that none of the other champions want to fight Rigondeaux. That is why we are looking to maybe move up to 126 pounds to fight the champions (at featherweight), to fight champions that want to beat him, that come to win," Arencibia explained before his attorney Jared Lopez went into further detail.

"That is what TV wants," Lopez stated. "TV doesn't want him to fight fighters that are relatively unknown and we don't blame them. He is a top caliber fighter and he should be fighting other top caliber fighters."

Arencibia finished our interview by reiterating that the rest of the 122 pound division are scared of Rigondeaux and said that next year they would love to face any of the top fighters in the featherweight division.

"At 122 pounds all of the champions are chickens. None of them want to fight him. That is why we are looking at the best at 126. He wants to fight Jhonny Gonzalez and (Vasyl) Lomachenko and Gary Russell Jr. In December we are willing to fight any of the 122 pound fighters who want it. We would fight guys like (former champion) Jonathan Romero or anyone at 122 then in 2015 we want to fight the champions at 126 because all of the champions at 122 cower in fear of Rigondeaux. They don't want to hear his name. The nicest thing I can say about them as Rigondeaux's promoter is that they are chicken and nothing else,"

Feb 8, 2006
Victor Ortiz, Abner Mares Added To Khan-Alexander Bill

Golden Boy Promotion's Showtime televised tripleheader, taking place on December 13th from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, got beefed up with additional action.

Featured on the undercard will be two separate 10-round bouts featuring former three-time, three-division world champion Abner Mares and former welterweight world champion "Vicious" Victor Ortiz. Mares, who will fight in a featherweight bout against an opponent to be determined, will look to build on his recent victory over Jonathan Oquendo. Ortiz is looking to make a comeback statement in a welterweight bout against an opponent to be named.

Mares (27-1-1, 14 KOs) of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, and fighting out of Downey, Calif. is coming off of a unanimous decision victory over Johnathan Oquendo at MGM Grand in July. Prior to his impressive win, Mares suffered the first loss of his professional career to the hands of Johnny Gonzalez, but has since bounced back and is ready to fight. Mares found himself on the pound-for-pound list in 2013 after winning the WBC Featherweight title, adding to his accomplishments as he already held world championships at bantamweight and super bantamweight.

Ortiz (29-5, 22 KOs) is ready to show the boxing world that he still has what it takes to be great. The 27-year-old Ventura, Calif. native has made headlines in and out of the ring, not only as a fighter, but also an entertainer. A former welterweight world champion who has engaged in memorable battles against the best in the boxing business including Floyd Mayweather, Marcos Maidana, Andre Berto and Josesito Lopez. He has also crossed over into the bright lights of Hollywood as a member of the cast of ABC's hit series "Dancing With The Stars" and most recently as part of the film "Expendables 3." Now Ortiz will return to the ring for the first time since his knockout loss against Luis Collazo in January and looks to show the boxing world he's serious about another run at a world title.

"I am so happy to be back at MGM Grand after my recent win in July," said Mares. "My ultimate goal is another shot at a world championship and a win on December 13 will help me get there. I plan on putting on a great performance and showcasing my skills once again."

"I'm excited to get back into the ring," said Ortiz. "I got caught in my last fight, but I'm ready to get back to work and improve my game. I know what it takes to win and that is what I plan on doing on December 13. I'm thankful for the opportunity and looking forward to giving fans a great show."

The card will be headlined by a welterweight showdown between Amir Khan and Devon Alexander. Also, Keith Thurman faces Leonard Bundu in battle of undefeated welterweight sluggers and WBO 154-pound champion Demetrius Andrade takes on unbeaten contender Jermell Charlo.

Jul 24, 2005
PRESENT A PUZZLE I THINK WOULD BE DIFFICULT FOR FLOYD MAYWEATHER OF 2014/2015 TO SOLVE"
By Ben Thompson | October 31, 2014
PAULIE MALIGNAGGI:

"I think Thurman has shown, little by little, he's gotten a lot better because physically he's very strong, but also he's a fighter who you can see he adapts in the fights. When he kind of runs into a little trouble, and yeah, he has run into a little trouble here and there, but you can see the way he adapts. He has a winning mentality in that not only does he adapt, but he keeps that winning mentality while adapting. He doesn't lose focus," stated two-division former world champion and Showtime commentator Paulie Malignaggi, who shared his thoughts on undefeated interim WBA champion Keith Thurman during a recent conversation with FightHype.com. According to Malignaggi, Thurman's strength, confidence, and ability to adapt inside the ring could present they type of challenge that may cause problems for undefeated pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather.

"He doesn't lose confidence in the fact that, 'Hey, I'm here to win,' regardless of any trouble he's got into. I really noticed that in the Diego Chaves fight. Any idiot that's reading this is going to say, 'Well Floyd Mayweather is not Diego Chaves.' Yeah moron, I know Floyd Mayweather is not Diego Chaves, but what I'm trying to say is Keith Thurman has the ability to mentally remain strong when things aren't going his way and turn things around and think his way through a situation," Malignaggi explained during a recent conversation with FightHype.com. "When a guy who's as strong as Keith Thurman has the mental capacity to remain confident and think his way through situations, it makes him more dangerous because he still has the power and determination to back himself up with already, but he also has now that mental intelligence to do that as well."

Malignaggi added, "Sometimes the shit is too deep for people to understand when I talk. I'm not even trying to say that in arrogance; I'm trying to say that because it's real. But I think those guys really, really present a threat to the 2014/2015 version of Floyd. When you're almost 38 years old, nature is nature, you know, and there's these young phenoms coming up the ladder and they're dangerous and pose a threat. Keith Thurman and Khan, right now, present a puzzle I think would be difficult for Floyd Mayweather of 2014/2015 to solve."

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
PRESENT A PUZZLE I THINK WOULD BE DIFFICULT FOR FLOYD MAYWEATHER OF 2014/2015 TO SOLVE"
By Ben Thompson | October 31, 2014
PAULIE MALIGNAGGI:

"I think Thurman has shown, little by little, he's gotten a lot better because physically he's very strong, but also he's a fighter who you can see he adapts in the fights. When he kind of runs into a little trouble, and yeah, he has run into a little trouble here and there, but you can see the way he adapts. He has a winning mentality in that not only does he adapt, but he keeps that winning mentality while adapting. He doesn't lose focus," stated two-division former world champion and Showtime commentator Paulie Malignaggi, who shared his thoughts on undefeated interim WBA champion Keith Thurman during a recent conversation with FightHype.com. According to Malignaggi, Thurman's strength, confidence, and ability to adapt inside the ring could present they type of challenge that may cause problems for undefeated pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather.

"He doesn't lose confidence in the fact that, 'Hey, I'm here to win,' regardless of any trouble he's got into. I really noticed that in the Diego Chaves fight. Any idiot that's reading this is going to say, 'Well Floyd Mayweather is not Diego Chaves.' Yeah moron, I know Floyd Mayweather is not Diego Chaves, but what I'm trying to say is Keith Thurman has the ability to mentally remain strong when things aren't going his way and turn things around and think his way through a situation," Malignaggi explained during a recent conversation with FightHype.com. "When a guy who's as strong as Keith Thurman has the mental capacity to remain confident and think his way through situations, it makes him more dangerous because he still has the power and determination to back himself up with already, but he also has now that mental intelligence to do that as well."

Malignaggi added, "Sometimes the shit is too deep for people to understand when I talk. I'm not even trying to say that in arrogance; I'm trying to say that because it's real. But I think those guys really, really present a threat to the 2014/2015 version of Floyd. When you're almost 38 years old, nature is nature, you know, and there's these young phenoms coming up the ladder and they're dangerous and pose a threat. Keith Thurman and Khan, right now, present a puzzle I think would be difficult for Floyd Mayweather of 2014/2015 to solve."
Remove Keith Thurman or Khans name. Insert the name of Pac or any of Floyd's opponents in recent years. These people keep saying the same shit and all the guys he fights he dismantles. There is no fucking plan for the guy, PERIOD. Floyd's biggest threat is himself. PERIOD.

Props: CZAR and CZAR

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
No one here is saying he is unbeatable. There is no plan to do it. If there were he wouldnt be undefeated so the biggest threat to him is himself.
Yes there is, a strong dude that can cut the ring off and throw 1000 punches without being dead tired can beat him. Maidana gets too winded in the later rounds. Floyd handcuffs himself on the ropes every time someone is throwing a lot of punches. It worked for Castillo in the first fight, it worked for Hatton at times, it even worked for DLH to some extent and it worked for Maidana. They all either got away from it or got tired. But especially now that Floyd's legs are a little slower, it would work. I think it's because of this that he never wanted to fight guys like Margarito, Williams, or Pacquiao.

trips

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2006
Mora would give GGG some problems

Mora: Golovkin’s a Monster, But He’s Been Matched Wisely

by David P. Greisman

Sergio Mora thinks highly of Gennady Golovkin, but he also thinks the power-punching 160-pound titleholder has been matched wisely so as to keep his flaws from being exploited.

“I look at Golovkin, I think he’s a monster, obviously. I think he has heavy feet. He has some flaws just like every other fighter. Fighters haven’t been able to capitalize on that, and he’s had the best matchmaking I’ve seen in the last 10 years, aside from [Julio Cesar] Chavez Jr.,” Mora told BoxingScene.com in late October. “But Chavez Jr., everyone was clowning him on his opposition. No one’s clowning Golovkin on his opposition.

“They’re just picking the right fighters. They keep him away from movers. They keep him away from guys that can switch the pace on you and don’t just stand in front of you. Guys that can give you defense, that go to the body, and so on and so forth. They’ve been matching him up really nice, and on top of that, he’s a monster puncher.”

Don’t let that fool you into thinking Mora believes Golovkin isn’t good.

“I’m impressed first. He’s a silver medalist, and as a boxer I know what he can do in the ring. He’s not overrated. Let’s clear that up,” Mora said. “He’s a monster, but he’s been matched perfectly. He’s been matched very, very, very great all the way up, even the fights that he has on HBO, they make it seem like these guys are top, top, top fighters, and then when they get knocked out, it’s like, ‘No match for Golovkin.’ It’s not that it was no match for Golovkin. That was the wrong style match-up.”

What, then, would the right style match-up be? Who should Golovkin have faced instead of those he’s beaten?

“Anyone that doesn’t stand in front of him. Anyone that can bend their waist and move their head. Anyone with some kind of defense,” Mora said. “It takes more than balls. And ‘I’m going to push him back, I’m going to give him everything they can handle.’ Yeah, OK. How? What’s your strategy? How have you proven that before? All these guys can talk the talk but they’ve never walked the walk. So what makes you think you’re going to walk the walk now when you get the chance?

“The guys that I think he should be facing, he’ll face guys from 154 to 168. [Erislandy] Lara was up there. [Demetrius] Andrade I think would give him a hell of a fight. Andrade, he’ll move up in weight. At 160, Danny Jacobs I think would give him a good fight until Danny gets cracked. I’d give him a good fight. You know who else would give him a good fight? Gilberto Ramirez [Sanchez], the sall southpaw Mexican. think he’ll give him a hard time, because he’s a southpaw, tall, he’s smart, good pop. It’s guys that aren’t going to get hit and will give him something different than just standing in front of him and throwing a one-two.”

Mora is scheduled to return on a Dec. 11 card in California. It will be his fourth bout back since a majority decision loss in a rematch with Bryan Vera in 2012. Since then, Mora topped Gregorz Proksa by unanimous decision in June 2013, knocked out Milton Nunez in November 2013 and stopped Samuel Rogers this past May, bringing his record to 26-3-2 with 9 KOs.

trips

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2006
Marquez on Pacquiao 5: Honor is Worth More Than Money!

By Miguel Rivera

WBO International welterweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez (56-7-1, 40KOs), 41-years-old, is still undecided on his future.

He admits that a huge offer has been made to have a fifth fight with Manny Pacquiao, who the Mexican veteran knocked out cold in the sixth round of their fourth meeting in 2012. Pacquiao defends his WBO welterweight crown against Chris Algieri on November 22nd in Macau, China.

Marquez plans to train over the next few weeks to see how his body reacts. If his body feels good, he will then continue his career with another fight or two. Either way, he wants to make decision regarding his future by January.

"I've been offered a lot of money for a fight with Pacquiao - but for me honor, prestige, and respect for a country comes first. And, why do a fifth fight? Considering we won," said Marquez.

"Making a decision for an athlete [to retire] is very difficult, because we miss the exercise, the applause, the screams of the fans. I do not want to tarnish the career that I've made as many fighters [have done by fighting for too long]. I want to feel sure of what I can do and then make a decision."

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Yes there is, a strong dude that can cut the ring off and throw 1000 punches without being dead tired can beat him. Maidana gets too winded in the later rounds. Floyd handcuffs himself on the ropes every time someone is throwing a lot of punches. It worked for Castillo in the first fight, it worked for Hatton at times, it even worked for DLH to some extent and it worked for Maidana. They all either got away from it or got tired. But especially now that Floyd's legs are a little slower, it would work. I think it's because of this that he never wanted to fight guys like Margarito, Williams, or Pacquiao.
Cutting the ring off and throwing 1000 punches is the way to beat Floyd?

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
Cutting the ring off and throwing 1000 punches is the way to beat Floyd?
Effective aggressiveness, yes. Simply cutting off the ring and throwing a bunch of uneducated punches obviously wouldn't do any good. Remember that Oscar did well with the jab at range but handcuffed Floyd by throwing a lot of punches on the ropes and lost a split decision (even though I thought Floyd won like 8 rounds to 4). Maidana won rounds that way, Castillo won rounds that way. If you have respectable power and can cut off the ring and have a high work rate, you're gonna give Floyd problems especially now.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
2-0-Sixx @2-0-Sixx .. did Iron Mike Promotions have a falling out with Fox Sports or something? They scrapped the Moreno Vs. Payano card last minute and this month he has some good cards with no TV dates.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Effective aggressiveness, yes. Simply cutting off the ring and throwing a bunch of uneducated punches obviously wouldn't do any good. Remember that Oscar did well with the jab at range but handcuffed Floyd by throwing a lot of punches on the ropes and lost a split decision (even though I thought Floyd won like 8 rounds to 4). Maidana won rounds that way, Castillo won rounds that way. If you have respectable power and can cut off the ring and have a high work rate, you're gonna give Floyd problems especially now.
That isn't effective aggressiveness. For one, in order to cut the ring off you're going to have to have faster feet/legs and you're going to have to trap the guy. The second problem is with the punch count. You're saying to throw that high of a number and be accurate, while effectively stopping one of the best defensive fighters in the modern era, from moving--no dice.

Oscar: Landed 21% of his punches. Total punch count was 587 while Floyd was at 481 and 43%.

Maidana (first fight no need to go into the second one): 858 punches with 221 landing for 25%. Floyd had 426 punches with 230 landing for 50%.

Castillo (first fight no need to go into the second one): 506 thrown by Castillo and landing 40%. Floyd throws 448 for 35%.

Hopefully you see the pattern here and why a thousand punch count is clearly out of the question. You are not going to throw 1000 punches against Floyd AND effectively cut off the ring. You can throw a lot of punches on the ropes but how many of those punches are effective punches? He's slipping, he's parrying the punches, using his glove and rolling his shoulder. In other words, he isn't taking damage like another person in a similar situation would.

And if you look at Floyds fights against Canelo and Cotto or pretty much anyone recently, and look at the punch count, you'll see he will actually hit 500-600 while the opponent has fewer throws and a lower percentage.

So looking at the numbers, it's a bit more complicated because Floyd is adjusting his numbers.

Simply put, there is no plan to beat the guy because it would have been done already.