Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 6, 2002
I don't really see Cotto as a true 160lb fighter either. Not that he can't hang, but he just doesn't really need to be there. It does keep his options open though.

Golovkin needs a big name. The guys he's beaten are also looking for names themselves, or to come back from where they once were. He can fight Sturm or Soliman. Maybe even Murray. They just aren't popular in the US, that's the problem.

Hopefully his manager can get him something good.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I don't really see Cotto as a true 160lb fighter either. Not that he can't hang, but he just doesn't really need to be there. It does keep his options open though.

Golovkin needs a big name. The guys he's beaten are also looking for names themselves, or to come back from where they once were. He can fight Sturm or Soliman. Maybe even Murray. They just aren't popular in the US, that's the problem.

Hopefully his manager can get him something good.
The fact that "he needs a bigger name" when he already has TWO belts is the problem.

So what is boxing about now PPV? So why not just do away with all the belts?

Btw, Murry already ducked GGG.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Golovkin will be fine. Just signed a multi fight extension with HBO after his fight with Geale. and regardless of what Soliman says, you throw the money at him which HBO will most certainly do for a unification bout and he'll take it. That would give Golovkin 2 actual belts and fighting him is a guaranteed HBO date. Cotto may not need to fight him but it's going to start making financial sense to fight him to other guys.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
He already has two actual belts. If the IBO was good enough for Jones, Manny, Hearns and a shitload of other fighters then it is what it is. But I am tired of ALL these alphabet soup ass organizations, a billion weight classes and this cold war. The best need to fight the best. PERIOD. PPV does not mean you are the best, it means you were marketed a certain way and people bought into it (in both senses of the word.)

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
If he has 2 actual belts then I don't want to hear one person complaining about Kovalev's next opponent considering he's a former IBO champ. It's a hustle and that's how they do it. Keep attaching your name to guys that matter and eventually you can make guys that don't matter matter. Because the IBO has guys that are excellent fighters as their champions doesn't mean the belt has meaning.

Go look at some of the nonsense belts held by great fighters. WBF/WBU/IBU/IBO etc etc. all nonsense. Saying he has 2 belts doesn't legitimize Golovkin anymore than he already should be, it legitimizes the IBO only.

It honestly seems like people are saying this to make a point about Golovkin when it really doesn't need to be made. What he does in the ring says all you need to say not the IBO. I've never seen the IBO talked about when talking about guys holding straps in any other discussion.

I agree with your second point. Saying he will be fine in the sense that HBO should start throwing money at credible opponents now that they have him locked down.

Last edited:

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
If he has 2 actual belts then I don't want to hear one person complaining about Kovalev's next opponent considering he's a former IBO champ.
You wouldn't hear it from me.

It's a hustle and that's how they do it. Keep attaching your name to guys that matter and eventually you can make guys that don't matter matter. Because the IBO has guys that are excellent fighters as their champions doesn't mean the belt has meaning.
You just invalidated your entire argument. How are you supposed to grow as an organization then? And when it comes to "meaning", the only reason why this belt has meaning or that belt is meaning is because it is a hustle. So if it is about legitimacy, why don't we just do away with every belt and every organization aside from the WBC?

Go look at some of the nonsense belts held by great fighters. WBF/WBU/IBU/IBO etc etc. all nonsense. Saying he has 2 belts doesn't legitimize Golovkin anymore than he already should be, it legitimizes the IBO only.

So what makes them illegitimate? The fact they don't enforce mandatories and are for profit? I can start the HERESY FUCKIN BOXING ORGANIFUCKINZATION and guess what? If I have enough loot to line pockets, my belt will be right up there with the other belts that are "legitimate."

It honestly seems like people are saying this to make a point about Golovkin when it really doesn't need to be made. What he does in the ring says all you need to say not the IBO. I've never seen the IBO talked about when talking about guys holding straps in any other discussion.
So just because you never heard about it being discussed means what exactly? OK, you're on every boxing forum in the entire galaxy (even the one on Pluto) and, if no one is talking about it, why have people put their own life on the life to fight for it? Or have you forgotten that every time you step in the ring you put your life on the line? And besides if GGG himself says he has the IBO belt, and he is defending it, that means HE recognizes so fuck what ANYONE ELSE is saying about it mattering or not. It matters to HIM. He fought and bled for it.

I agree with your second point. Saying he will be fine in the sense that HBO should start throwing money at credible opponents now that they have him locked down.
Champ = best fighter in the weight class. Everything else is bullshit. This belt, that organization, this group, this network. All bullshit. Let the best fight the best and do away with the corruption and bullshit.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
You can validate every belt you'd like doesn't make it so. IBO = meaningless. Argue it all you'd like.

I'm sure you consider the WBO Africa belt holder a legitimate title holder.
It's "meaningless" yet people are fighting for it and getting paid for it.

I tell you what, go tell GGG the belt is meaningless. Go tell Pac it was meaningless. Go tell Bernard it was meaningless. Go tell Floyd it was meaningless. Go tell Sergio, Hatton, Roy Jones, Tarver and Lennox it was meaningless.

You argue it all you like. The man himself said he had two belts, and he has two belts, so that means he has two belts.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
If you want to have a discussion without the pointless name calling I'm down. Here's why I say that they're a illegitimate sanctioning body.

1. If you look at their history they don't continually keep champions in certain divisions I.E. Moruti Mthalane Vs. Jether Oliva just fought for the vacant IBO flyweight title, prior to that the last sanctioned IBO flyweight title fight was in 2009. That's just not acceptable for a legitimate sanctioning body to have their titles vacant for so long.

2. Absolutely no structure to them, i.e. Don George Vs. Dyah Davis are about to fight for one of their main vacated belts. Not one of their minor titles. Guys seem to drop the IBO and/or get stripped for no apparent reason and those same titles will remain vacate forever.

Fighters are always going to say that the belts have meaning, because they won them, that doesn't mean you or I have to feel the same. Some of the things that you argue for, i.e. people not wanting to Golovkin have a major thing to do with all these damn sanctioning bodies. Why would Quillin want or need to fight Golovkin if he's already a champ somewhere? Why would Soliman? I wouldn't mind if the IBO replaced another sanctioning body as long as they cut out not having champions for years at a time, but boxing absolutely does not need anymore sanctioning bodies and people that should know better acknowledging them as if they mean something because then you get a 5th champion in one of 17 divisions.

And for whatever it's worth. I think Hopkins would agree it's meaningless as he won the IBO belt twice and never paid sanctioning fees on it to keep it. I.E. when he beat Pascal, who had the IBO, the title was immediately vacated because Hopkins didn't find it important enough to pay fees for it. He just kept the WBC strap that came with it.

I'll delete my other posts, no point in going back and forth name calling. If you want to stick with that, that's fine with me too doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Here's a question, and be honest here.

Let's say Golovkin didn't hold the IBO title and some other random guy had it. Golovkin, or anyone else, managed to unify the WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO would you consider Golovkin to be 100% unified or would you think he'd have to own the IBO to be 100% unified?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
If you want to have a discussion without the pointless name calling I'm down. Here's why I say that they're a illegitimate sanctioning body.
Ok.

1. If you look at their history they don't continually keep champions in certain divisions I.E. Moruti Mthalane Vs. Jether Oliva just fought for the vacant IBO flyweight title, prior to that the last sanctioned IBO flyweight title fight was in 2009. That's just not acceptable for a legitimate sanctioning body to have their titles vacant for so long.
This is problematic, especially when their own rules state something to the effect of defending the title every nine months. The problem is, they also don't enforce a mandatory so it increases the chances of someone not fighting for the belt.

2. Absolutely no structure to them, i.e. Don George Vs. Dyah Davis are about to fight for one of their main vacated belts. Not one of their minor titles. Guys seem to drop the IBO and/or get stripped for no apparent reason and those same titles will remain vacate forever.
Like in the Hopkins situation, it did appear contradictory. However, you have to keep in mind that compared to the other organizations, these guys have the least amount of corruption and palm greasing. They also have legit rankings. But you have to remember, the WBO pretty much started off the same way. People weren't defending the belt as much, questions were asked, etc.

Fighters are always going to say that the belts have meaning, because they won them, that doesn't mean you or I have to feel the same.
This is my thing man, I don't like all the alphabet soup organizations and don't like all the weight classes. So it's either the WBC, lineal or Ring that is going to hold the most prestige and weight to most people. However, when you look at it from the boxers perspective, it is going to have meaning because they put their life on the line for it. So if they feel it is a worthy cause, and they are putting their body on the line to defend it, and they recognize it, then that is how I look at it. Now of course everythign would be different if we didn't have supers, ABC organizations and all these different weight classes but if a guy feels passionate about it, then fuck it, let him defend it.

Some of the things that you argue for, i.e. people not wanting to Golovkin have a major thing to do with all these damn sanctioning bodies. Why would Quillin want or need to fight Golovkin if he's already a champ somewhere? Why would Soliman? I wouldn't mind if the IBO replaced another sanctioning body as long as they cut out not having champions for years at a time, but boxing absolutely does not need anymore sanctioning bodies and people that should know better acknowledging them as if they mean something because then you get a 5th champion in one of 17 divisions.
Well, at times you had more than 5 champions if you were to count the super champs and the bullshit the WBA was doing. So the problem you have, which is legit, is that we already have a billion and one groups and champs and that they aren't having enough fights. So what would they need to do to have more people fighting for the belt? Because we know if they are for profit, and the other ones hide under a non profit label, what else can they do? Throw the towel in and join the club?

And for whatever it's worth. I think Hopkins would agree it's meaningless as he won the IBO belt twice and never paid sanctioning fees on it to keep it. I.E. when he beat Pascal, who had the IBO, the title was immediately vacated because Hopkins didn't find it important enough to pay fees for it. He just kept the WBC strap that came with it.
He pretty much said it was about money and when he was at the presser with Shumanov, he took the IBO belt, along with the WBA, and place it next to his IBF title. So it isn't like he doesn;t recognize it, he just didn't want to pay the fees. Shit Bowe tossed a belt in the garbage, that is far worse, lol.

I'll delete my other posts, no point in going back and forth name calling. If you want to stick with that, that's fine with me too doesn't really matter.
We're all fam here bro. I get my feathers ruffled, I know I ruffle feathers, in fact, if I didn't then call the hospital because something is "wrong." So if I argue with you and go in on you, it's like a badge of honor, don't take it personal because two minutes later I will be propping you for some shit you said that made sense. Ask 206. He's been my whipping boy for years now (lol @ when he sees this.)

:pours Naner a shot of cognac:

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Here's a question, and be honest here.

Let's say Golovkin didn't hold the IBO title and some other random guy had it. Golovkin, or anyone else, managed to unify the WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO would you consider Golovkin to be 100% unified or would you think he'd have to own the IBO to be 100% unified?
That depends on his outlook about the belt. I'm really more interested in the lineal champ and like I said earlier, the ring or WBC (because of the history and legacy) but if he is willing to fight for it, then he needs to grab one more. If someone has it, and is calling him out, he needs to fight him. Belts don't really mean anything to me unless they mean something to the fighter. If he fought for it and believes in it, he is the champ. He is making a claim that he is the best so lay hands on ALL comers claiming to be champs. If he has the IBO, HERESY FUCKIN WHATEVER THE FUCK I SAID EARLIER BELT, the nwo belt, the obo belt, the WBZ, IBA, etc.

Lay hands on ALL people becoming champ or saying they are champ.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
That depends on his outlook about the belt. I'm really more interested in the lineal champ and like I said earlier, the ring or WBC (because of the history and legacy) but if he is willing to fight for it, then he needs to grab one more. If someone has it, and is calling him out, he needs to fight him. Belts don't really mean anything to me unless they mean something to the fighter. If he fought for it and believes in it, he is the champ. He is making a claim that he is the best so lay hands on ALL comers claiming to be champs. If he has the IBO, HERESY FUCKIN WHATEVER THE FUCK I SAID EARLIER BELT, the nwo belt, the obo belt, the WBZ, IBA, etc.

Lay hands on ALL people becoming champ or saying they are champ.
I agree with that 100%, I've always said the lineal title means a lot more. When I'm saying illegitimate or meaningless, I mean in the scope of being a major title. Obviously if 2 guys fight for a vacant title one of them wins it they're going to feel pride in that belt.

I agree with you on the WBO, and it took me a long time to acknowledge them as a major sanctioning body even after they got their shit together. What I saying to 2-0 in other thread, IMO it has to go across the board. Golovkin is an amazing champion regardless of what belt he owns, but if we're going to acknowledge the IBO as a major belt that he owns we have to acknowledge the winner of Davis Vs. George as a major SMW title holder.

That fight will be hyped up as a world title fight locally, even though the 2 aren't in the IBO's own rankings, people will go watch that fight and if they decide to look up standing etc after the fight will feel played.

I'm not knocking the fighters that win these belts, and I think minor titles have their place to build fighters and get them good fights but it seems like people are using this to make a case for Golovkin when it's not needed. Golovkin's made his own case he could 15 minor titles and I'd still be saying the same thing.

It seems like what you're saying is because a guy is a great fighter and wins it that makes the title meaningful, and it may to him. I just don't agree with that and believe that causes issues.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
This is problematic, especially when their own rules state something to the effect of defending the title every nine months. The problem is, they also don't enforce a mandatory so it increases the chances of someone not fighting for the belt.
See I don't think they can enforce mandatories. IE Wlad is one of the few that's actually defended his IBO belt and kept it around. The second the IBO told Wlad he had to fight someone to keep their belt the IBO is gone.

Like in the Hopkins situation, it did appear contradictory. However, you have to keep in mind that compared to the other organizations, these guys have the least amount of corruption and palm greasing. They also have legit rankings. But you have to remember, the WBO pretty much started off the same way. People weren't defending the belt as much, questions were asked, etc.
I agree and I've spoken out about the WBO before and it took me way longer than everyone else to acknowledge them as a major sanctioning body. Not anything to do with the SB and their champions more that it just wasn't needed. Even still they're more structured and by the time they were recognized by most people they had real structure going on.

This is my thing man, I don't like all the alphabet soup organizations and don't like all the weight classes. So it's either the WBC, lineal or Ring that is going to hold the most prestige and weight to most people. However, when you look at it from the boxers perspective, it is going to have meaning because they put their life on the line for it. So if they feel it is a worthy cause, and they are putting their body on the line to defend it, and they recognize it, then that is how I look at it. Now of course everythign would be different if we didn't have supers, ABC organizations and all these different weight classes but if a guy feels passionate about it, then fuck it, let him defend it.
Agree here. I'm not knocking a guy defending it or caring about it, shit at the end of the day he's paying to keep it and fight for it. That doesn't mean we have to place importance on it.

Well, at times you had more than 5 champions if you were to count the super champs and the bullshit the WBA was doing. So the problem you have, which is legit, is that we already have a billion and one groups and champs and that they aren't having enough fights. So what would they need to do to have more people fighting for the belt? Because we know if they are for profit, and the other ones hide under a non profit label, what else can they do? Throw the towel in and join the club?
Just like I don't recognize Chagaev as a heavyweight champion or I won't recognize the winner of Jacobs/Fletcher as a middleweight champion. I don't care if the sanctioning body makes money, all of them do. I don't mind multiple championships, to me it creates bigger fights when they may not be otherwise, like if Golovkin were to fight Soliman normally people would be shitting on that fight, but it would be a fantastic fight to make today because Soliman has a strap. There's a fine line between excitement and being ridiculous, and I think we've passed that with the titles.

He pretty much said it was about money and when he was at the presser with Shumanov, he took the IBO belt, along with the WBA, and place it next to his IBF title. So it isn't like he doesn;t recognize it, he just didn't want to pay the fees. Shit Bowe tossed a belt in the garbage, that is far worse, lol.
You and I both know that Hopkins is a big of a belt collector as it gets. If he thought the IBO meant anything he'd have paid those fees. And speaking to my ridiculousness the belt he won off Shumenov was the IBA, another nonsense title. You can't even keep track of it and we're arguing about it.

As far as Bowe goes, he threw away fighting Lennox Lewis in that trash. That had everything to do with them making Lewis the mandatory and less to do with the sanctioning body

We're all fam here bro. I get my feathers ruffled, I know I ruffle feathers, in fact, if I didn't then call the hospital because something is "wrong." So if I argue with you and go in on you, it's like a badge of honor, don't take it personal because two minutes later I will be propping you for some shit you said that made sense. Ask 206. He's been my whipping boy for years now (lol @ when he sees this.)

:pours Naner a shot of cognac:
I didn't which is why I deleted my posts shit was silly after I reread it.