BayUndaground.com reviews thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
Mister D.O.G. - Streets Of Tha Tac
Bow Wow Records (2010)
Rating: 3/5

01. They Don't Know (skit)
02. Mr. D.O.G.
03. Hilltop
04. Sidewalk Executives (skit)
05. It's Nothing f. Certified
06. She's 100
07. Criptastic f. Combat
08. Fucc W/ Cuzz Intro (skit)
09. Fucc W/ Cuzz f. Crooked I & Snoop Dogg
10. Bieeaaatch f. Have Not
11. Dear Dad
12. On Ya Own (skit)
13. Aquaman 3
14. Yall Don't Know f. Cool Nutz & Luni Coleone
15. Say Dat Then f. Crooked I & Skuntdunanna
16. Holla @ Ya Guy
17. She's 100 Remix f. Mistah F.A.B., Cool Nutz & Outrageous
18. Rollin 26's f. West Coast Stone
19. Business Men f. Leezy Soprano & Key Loom

On one hand Mr. D.O.G. is probably the most known Tacoma, Wa - 253 area code - representative, but on the other he didn't spoil his fans with a glut of released cds after 2006. That is when when a very good compilation "Backstreets And Boulevards" dropped, however subsequent years didn't bring anything new from the independent Bow Wow Records label except for a promotional mixtape. Until 2010 when finally two new projects hit the store shelves. The first one was the thirst-quenching limited re-release of the classic solo "Wet" (read the review), yet fans kept on waiting for the anticipated third official album entitled "Streets Of Tha Tac", which was finally released in the end of August.

At the beginning I'd like to take note of a beautiful graphic artwork. In the times of Internet and more frequent "digital onlies" pressing seems to be gradually less important to certain people. I could write numerous essays on it, nevertheless I'm really happy to see such nice work on the front and back cover as well as disc itself and booklet. Big props to 3rd Eye Dezine and obviously to Bow Wow Records who once again decided to use their services. Back to music though; you should know that Mr. D.O.G. is in the game for over 10 years now, so there's simply no way for him to have any stumbles as far as vocal part is concerned. This artist smoothly flows over various beats, perfectly follows each and every rhythm, blends with melodies, comes up with catchy phrases... He basically makes a very good impression and is one of the brightest sides of the hereby album. Let me focus on other aspects as well, for instance selection of subjects. In terms of lyrics "Streets Of Tha Tac" comes out pretty decent. You will obviously receive more or less classic set of motives including self-presentation ("Mr. D.O.G." track), representing one's territory ("Hilltop"), Crips affiliation ("Criptastic", "Fuck W/ Cuzz") and flossing ("Rollin 26's"). Take notice of the "She's 100" single - great TV-friendly hit about women, available in two versions. More ambitious joints include "Bieeaaatch" (lyrically close to 2Pac's "Wonder Why They Call U Bitch") as well as "Dear Dad" talking about son-father relationship in broken homes.

You will mostly hear nice production - classic West Coast type of vibes skillfully mixed with facilities of modern technology. The cd is dominated by mild tempos and street related themes, however you will also get faster, more party-like cuts (the already mentioned "She's 100") or even back to basics with "Aquaman 3" that is sort-of a "Boyz N The Hood" pastiche. Production was handled by Eugenius, Kuddie Fresh, Klypso, DJ Roc, Funkdaddy and West Coast Stone. You start seeing slight glitches on "Streets Of Tha Tac", once you pay attention to details. For example the listed above "Dear Dad" has a very poor bass line, where drum hits were replaces by feeble taps. Whereas "Hilltop" features one of the loudest beats I've ever heard, so intense that with my basses turned up I can barely understand the words fading out in the background. "It's Nothing" has a limited production, while "Criptastic" discourages a listener with emotionless, impassive verses by Combat - big pity, since the track itself would be really nice if this artist didn't perform on half of it. What is more, I have already heard "Yall Don't Know" on Cool Nutz and Luni Coleone collaboration project "Every Single Day" from 2007. Lastly, I'm irritated by screwed verses on "Rollin 26's". I really don't know why the vocals got slowed down, this song would be far better without it. In other words I do think that the currently reviewed solo has its ups and downs. Among several recorded cuts you will easily find the good ones that make you bob your head. Yet you will also get these distressing glitches that had an impact on the final rating.

The hereby album can be bought for instance at CD Baby. I also encourage you to visit record label's MySpace page.
D.O.G., thank you for providing a copy for the review.

Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
Fury Figeroa - Method 2 Tha Madness
XL Entertainment (2010)
Rating: 4/5

01. Madness (skit)
02. Manifesto
03. 'Dis Shit Knockz f. Ross Rock & Jesse James
04. Wut U Want f. Jonny Rockz
05. Blo Dem Treez
06. Git Wit 'Dis
07. So Real (remix) f. Dre Nitty & Dee Boi
08. Fresh Alwayz f. Yung Heck & Young Kcaz
09. Westside f. Ross Rock
10. Who Fuckin Wit 'Dis f. Yun-Gun
11. Fuck Yall f. Dre Nitty
12. Dose Of Da Funk f. S.B. & C-Smoke
13. Flippin' Da Scripture
14. Who U Be?
15. Hey! f. Krypto
16. Hell Nah f. Y-Dresta & Yun-Gun

I honestly think that next to Yun-Gun the most known 831 area code, central Cali representative is Fury. Well, it doesn't necessarily mean that he's widely recognized, he's simply less underground than other artists from this region. Let me remind you his discography: he debuted in 2002 with "Talk Is Cheap" (as S-Fury) together with the fellow rapper/producer King. His first solo work - "Ferocious" - came out two years later. Joint collaboration with Yun-Gun ("Cali Crookz") was yet another milestone, while the second solo titled "Typhoon Hoggin'" dropped in 2009, however only in digital format. July 2010 brings the currently reviewed record "Method 2 Tha Madness" - fortunately eye-catching units were pressed.

This time as Fury Figeroa he serves you yet another portion of peculiar sounds. First two albums were dominated by fast flows (sometimes reminding of Young Droop) and mild or slow paces, plus street type of production with hard, disturbing vibes. Even though the "Ferocious" solo wasn't filled with such dark, underground 90's melodies as "Talk Is Cheap" was, there are still quite evident musical similarities between them. Those of you who have already got used to these sounds and expect more of them, may feel disappointed. Mainly due to the fact that Fury definitely slowed down. He raps in a rather regular fashion, speaks clearly and only occasionally spits out words with the speed of a machine gun. However he didn't forget about great rhythmicity, emotions and polished rhymes. Generally Fury quite often tends to come up with such word combinations and voice tone that non-trivial parts of his verses can be memorized pretty easily. Just have a look at the superb hook from "Manifesto":

The manifesto
Got the west flow
Check those credentials
Let's go, we get dough
Got the best dro
In the hood, in the ghetto

Since I've already mentioned the opening "Manifesto" cut, I need to emphasize that this is indeed a musical masterpiece. Background sounds consist of something like a chorale mixed with "The Lord Of The Rings" battlecry (similar to Nas' "Hate Me Now"), great and peculiar samples. In other words the production will most probably be surprising to hitherto fans. I have even come upon several negative opinions, stating that presented beats are weak, used to be way better, Fury should return to previous style etc. I definitely do not share these views. Truth is, rapper brought something different than usual to the table; however it is refreshing, untypical and above all polished. Get ready for vibrating bass lines and tremendous drum hits - it's been long since I heard so distinct beats! You will also receive a couple of musical "experiments". I namely mean guitar samples (electric as well) on four tracks, piano, sometimes even scratches together with hard, dark sounds or pipes. The variety is pretty rich, yet thanks to that each and every joint is unique and can later on be recognized only after a couple of notes. What's interesting, that was mainly Fury himself who handled the production (11 songs). The remaining ones were brought by Young Deniro, Aldojha and Indecent Da Slapmaster. Fury is a talented artist, so it's a pity that he left so little solo material. The majority of the titles were filled with guest appearances, which ultimately didn't let the rapper present anything more personal. Unfortunately most of the subjects comprise of rather typical schemes like threats, putting oneself above the rest, smoking, picking up on chicks, representing the city etc. To summarize, the artist won't tell you anything new on "Method 2 Tha Madness", but he undoubtedly provides a huge dose of entertainment that includes great vocal, crafty word-plays, catchy hooks and outstanding music. The change of flow proved that he's versatile and can easily adapt to new challenges. I do encourage you to get familiar with this release.

You can purchase the hereby project at Amazon. Peep the artist's MySpace page.
Fury, thank you for providing a copy for the review.

Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
Ok, I know it's been long since we updated this thread. Those of you who check our website know that it doesn't mean we stopped writing reviews. New ones keep on coming, we just didn't re-post them over here.

We've just rated the new Cali Grown cd: 5 out of 5 possible stars. We haven't done that for a very long time, but this album right here is a real masterpiece, at least I think so.

Cali Grown - self titled
CTR Entertainment (2011)
Rating: 5/5

01. That Work
02. Dollas & Sence f. Stik Gilatine
03. Cali Grown f. Big Rich
04. Must Be The Swagg f. Willie Joe
05. In The Bay f. San Quinn
06. Freak
07. How We Roll f. Fam Ties
08. Aint Got Time f. Big Shea
09. When They See Me f. Gunna
10. Save Me - Lil G
11. For Eva Eva f. Crhyme Boss
12. We Can Get It
13. So Irie
14. Dope Wrapper f. Miles High
15. Reppin Remix f. Fam Ties
16. Outro/Intro (skit)

Cali Grown is a team of two rappers - J-Rider from Mountain View and Lil G representing San Jose. You could already hear them on numerous albums from Crazy Times Records, out of which some got reviewed by the BayUndaground staff; I encourage you to read these articles. In 2008 J-Rider debuted with a solo mixtape titled "Get Money", while Lil G released an album "Shattered Dreams", however neither have I ever heard it, nor seen it. If you want to know more details, be sure to check out the interview we conducted with these cats in March 2011. Back then it wasn't even known when the cd will finally come out. Yep, it was even announced back in 2009 and there were overall about three versions of covers. Fans had to wait for two years to grab this one, but as an introduction let me just mention that it was worth the anticipation, definitely worth.

Both J-Rider and G have already managed to showcase their talents. I have heard them as guest appearances on numerous projects and I knew that if you consider vocals, they definitely won't let you down. First and foremost they put a lot of emotions into their verses, especially Lil G who can be recognized by harsh, deep and relentless voice. J-Rider sounds kind of "younger" and more often tends to sprinkle his performances with various add-ons - sometimes he slows down, speeds up, extends a syllable here, sings a piece there. What is more, both of them perfectly handle all served beats and smoothly blend with any rhythm - I'm very sensitive and picky when it comes down to it, however while listening to Cali Grown I can constantly bob my head to the beat. As far as lyrical layer is concerned, you should know that the artists provided a wide range of themes, mostly pretty standard ones, yet prepared in a really fresh way. What is more, they put much work into lyrics and brought a solid dose of non-trivial rhymes - as you can see, wherever you look, you can find yet more assets.

Most probably all the above advantages would be worthless, if the production wasn't up to par - in fact it surprised me the most! Music on the hereby album is simply stunning, it's been long since I heard so many polished tracks in a row, plus original enough that each of them easily stands out from the rest. The cd starts off with a musically superb cut "That Work", where drums moved to the background to make room for brilliant electric guitars (a bit laidback) - the whole thing turns out to be a flammable mixture of rap and rock, telling about moving drugs. Moreover you will receive a whole lot of mob type songs, kept in a West-Coast-like style ("For Eva Eva", "When They See Me"), but at the same time featuring modern hooks - for example mesmerizing It don't make sense if it don't make no money constantly repeated on "Dollas & Sence". A certain need for a considerable dose of laidback vibes has also been addressed, they were nicely put in-between remaining cuts and mostly refer to relations with women. That's when you hear a delicate piano or a smooth guitar over slow tempos in the background. There is obviously a serious amount of R&B on choruses and I need to admit that singers did hell of a job: Lasro, K. Young, Suyril, Tameka and Big Shae. I also have to mention an exceptionally Dirty South "How We Roll" as well as a very personal and at the same time disturbing "Save Me". The currently reviewed album is one of these projects that can be analyzed track by track, but I don't want to flood you with extensive information. I strongly recommend to watch all embedded videos that clearly depict this musical variety. The brilliant production was handled by the following composers: ArunTrax (a whole lot of 8 joints!), Mista Slap, Traxzilla, Moonshyne, Beat Knox and Chicago Jones. If I were to point out one flaw, then note that Lil G's verse on "That Work" doesn't go well with the rhythm, however it's not that audible, since those great guitars just keep on attacking from all directions.

In conclusion Cali Grown prepared one of the best projects I've heard this year. It's polished in every respect - all the way from artists' verses, through hooks, to beats themselves. Expect also detailed mastering and an overall high quality of recordings. Crazy Times Records crew once again proved that it is very meticulous and would rather wait than release a half-baked product. You simply can't ignore this album!
Big thanks for providing the cd for review purposes.