BayUndaground.com reviews thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
Enemigos - Agony & Ecstasy
CB Entertainment (2009)
Rating: 4.5/5

01. Intro (skit)
02. Hard Inda Paint - Gangsta Reese
03. E.A.S.T. f. Silence Loc
04. Lil' Slice
05. Ryte On Tyme - Convic
06. Home Comin'
07. Invested
08. CDz Like "D"
09. Nutts In Dey Poccet
10. R U Single?
11. 408 Riderz
12. Take My Word
13. Arsonists
14. They All Say
15. So Sweet f. Critic
16. The Yard - Convic
17. Mayno
18. Degrees Of Growth
19. Attitude
20. Left Coast f. Silence Loc, Critic, Magruff Muttley, Stone Age & Scrilla Mac
21. E48 Out (skit)

Enemigos is a duo consisting of San Jose representatives: Gangsta Reese and Convic. The first one should already be known to elder rap listeners for his membership in the Full Clip crew with such cds as "Who'z Ridin" and "The 2nd Chamber". He debuted back in 2002 with a solo titled "Full Metal Jacket" and even released a sophomore half solo, half collection "East Side Stories Vol. 1" a year later. Convic on the other hand - from what I know - has only appeared as a guest on other people's projects including Brown Factor from Crazy Times Records or even the recent "Killa Sharks 4".

For the last 6 years Reese took a music hiatus, recording only a single verse here and there, so you may treat the "Agony & Ecstasy" as sort-of a come back; a classy and serious one. You can notice from the gates that rapper put much work into his most recent endeavor, both vocally and lyrically. He follows the rhythm with an ease, even if it turns out to be a dynamic one (like in "They All Say"). I remember that he used to miss a beat sometimes or have some other minor problems, but out here he showed nothing less than professionalism. The same can be said about Convic, whom I haven't had an opportunity to hear on so many tracks so far. You can recognize him by a very deep, low-pitched voice and a flow that might seem emotionless at first glance. I need to admit that I was surprised with his performances; the way he smoothly flows on all beats, polished lyrics with thought-provoking punch lines, interesting rhymes and word plays. The lyrical content is of great importance and one of the strongest aspects of the album. Both artists indeed recorded many tracks that are about something more than yet another repeat of typical bragging and representing one's turf. You'll hear songs about growing up ("Degrees Of Growth"), dwelling in prison ("The Yard"), younglings taking credit for somebody else's achievements ("Take My Word"), praise of independent hustle ("CDz Like 'D'"), real ode to old school cars ("So Sweet") as well as pulling cards of weak and phony emcees ("Hard Inda Paint").

Y'all some MySpace rappers, I don't see your shit in store
Selling burnt CD-Rs, talking 'bout you gon' blow
Your fan base is your mama and the bitches that have your babies
You's a back seat rider, on the Internet talkin' crazy

There are obviously also a couple of tracks with traditional themes including the home town San Jose, sex, women, rap game, but they were handled in such a fresh and finely chiseled fashion that turned out to be pretty impressive too. A notable part of "Agony Ecstasy" has been played by Filthy Rich, the producer who is responsible for the vast majority of tracks; only 4 were made by Gangsta Reese, Convic, Assassin and Hynote Ent. One could think that the cd will be monotonous in the long run, as the cd as a whole requires almost 80 minutes of your attention (I remind you that there are 19 full-length cuts!), yet he managed to come up with something original almost each time. Generally music has nothing in common with the contemporary northern California standards, so don't expect to hear anything that even resembles hyphy mannerism. Therefore the most keen will be enthusiasts of classic west coast vibes, the ones with hard sounds, heavy bass lines and medium pace. It is also important to note that that there are a few distinct samples in the background, that enrich the production in a subtle way. On top of that you'll get catchy hooks (great performances by Shea) and various add-ons like occasional scratches. To conclude, Enemigos recorded an impressive material, a mixture of back to basics with facilities of modern technology. I strongly recommend this album to all fans of 90's rap and to the ones who are not fond of party-like slappers. "Agony & Ecstasy" is in my humble opinion one of the best releases of 2009.

Reese, thanks for networking and providing the album for the review.

Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
Da We Mobb - self titled
Yay Area Entertainment (2010)
Rating: 3/5

01. Intro
02. We Go
03. 2 Da Beat
04. Purple Trees
05. She's Independent
06. Get Money
07. Addicted 2 Da Game
08. Da Show
09. Who's Da Dopest
10. (skit)
11. Da We Mobb
12. Town Behind Me f. Da Laalups & Safi Da One
13. End Of Da Nite
14. U Can't Say Dat f. Agerman
15. Catch U Slippin
16. Out Here Hustlin
17. In Da Bay
18. Tonite We Gonna Smoke f. Smokey
19. Bad Day
20. Call It What U Want
21. Introducing Young Truth - Young Truth
22. Outro (skit)

Da We Mobb consists of 3 young Oakland rappers that go by the names of Zipp, Young Truth and Big A. You haven't probably heard of them yet, as their self titled and at the same time debut album dropped around February / March 2010. To be honest with you, I haven't expected much from the underground, local project, thus I was surprised by the very professional look and feel of the pressing. The cd was released in a digipak of a higher than average quality, because it was wrapped with an additional layer of foil, therefore it will not damage quickly and will definitely last longer.

It is pretty easy to distinguish the group members, as each of them presents a unique style. Zipp seems to be a young cat, because you can still hear him spit adolescent notes; in contrary to Big A, who showcases a low-pitched voice and an emotionless, laidback type of flow. While Young Truth also sounds youngish, but he comes really smooth and versatile, perfectly follows every beat, thanks to which his performances turn out to be extremely melodious and rhythmical. It is audible that these cats are still experimenting with their music and trying out various concepts and styles, at the same time creating songs diversified in terms of feel. Being familiar with rising generation's passions, I'm not surprised at all with recordings that can be labeled as a "posthyphy" movement - this is the term that I invented some time ago, describing a peculiar mixture of hyphy as well as street type of sounds. This trend is mainly represented by such tracks as "2 Da Beat", "Purple Trees" or "Da Show". Producers cared for quality, so they do provide a reasonable dose of entertainment that is far from minimalistic computer sounds. However I mostly enjoyed the parts where Da We Mobb artists treated their craft in a serious way and fortunately there are many of these: "Addicted 2 Da Game", "Who's Da Dopest", "Call It What U Want" and other ones, including the polished and great in many aspects "Bad Day", which speaks of a cumulative misfortune that happened on one day. The above mentioned cuts are characterized by a middle pace and a bit more ambitious lyrical content. Yet the fact remains that the currently reviewed album is not innovative when it comes to subjects which include representing one's area, showcasing the swagga ("Who's Da Dopest"), stacking up the funds ("Get Money"), partying and a few threats ("Catch U Slippin"). I have already pointed out noteworthy appearances by Young Truth, because he constantly serves really smooth verses plus nice rhymes as well as similes. Unfortunately I cannot repeat these statements when I consider Big A's delivery, as his bars are deprived of emotions, he tends to use played-out words and ultimately doesn't grab the listener's attention.

Almost the whole production was brought to you by Smokey, who in my opinion should also be considered a part of the team. I have already mentioned that I mostly enjoyed these calm, serious songs. I got really tired of the whole hyphy movement and feel that its formula doesn't have anything notable to offer any more. Therefore the best cuts definitely include for instance "Addicted 2 Da Game", "Who's Da Dopest", "U Can't Sat Dat", "Bad Day" and more. Apart from him the beats were also handled by Da Laalups and Safi Da One. The first one is a real Richie Rich sound-a-like, however he's not that savage when it comes to music which was proven on "Town Behind Me" - so poor and limited in terms of the number of samples that I can barely listen to it. I also didn't feel the production on "End Of Da Nite" as well as "Tonite We Gonna Smoke". This cd also features a large number of skits in the end of the tracks, which I consider completely redundant, as they do not introduce anything interesting and bore in the long run, making you wait for the subsequent cut. Prank calls are funny, but only for the first time. All in all, Da We Mobb is in the process of creating its own style, so it is not surprising that their debut project has also a few glitches among the positive aspects. All interested fans can buy a copy at CD Baby for $9.99 and visit the group's MySpace page.

Smokey, thank you for providing a copy for the review.

Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
In fact we dropped 10 scale and went with a 5-star one. If you count halves (3.5 / 5), then there are in fact 9 possible rates. Final rating is not everything, the most important thing is the article itself. I might rate the cd 3/5 simply for having 5 recycles out of 15 total tracks. Someone will read about it and come to conclusion that he/she hasn't heard those 5 tracks, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 4, 2003
www.bayundaground.com
Young Dru - Block Star
40 Ounce Records (2009)
Rating: 3.5/5

01. I'm A Boss f. Yukmouth & Mistah F.A.B.
02. Prince Of The V
03. Livin By The Bay
04. #1 Bitch f. Matt Blaque
05. Make U Cum f. Too Short
06. Everybody On
07. Yadida Whaa Whaa f. Keak Da Sneak & Messy Marv
08. Fresh Like Me f. Jay Tee
09. Nobody Flyer Than Me f. Jacka
10. Pimpin' f. Stres & Jay Tee
11. Act A Ape f. Turf Talk & Goldie Gold
12. Game Gave Me Everything

Most of Vallejo rap fans have already heard of Young Dru, as he started his career under Johnny Z's wings. He's also working with Jay Tee and was featured on many 40 Ounce Records releases. Album called "Flame Spitter" finally opened his solo discography. Today his musical achievements include 3 solo projects, a collabo cd with Jay Tee and a membership in Yukmouth's Regime camp. After a 4-year silence Andrew is back with a fourth official endeavor.

This V-Town representative has been recently known for his frequent style diversity. We've met him as a vicious and savage flame spitter, then we had pleasure to listen to the autobiography of the mature and solemn Andrew Nickolatos IV. Next it was time for more mainstream and laidback sounds of the V-Town streets. The latest collabo with Jay Tee just deepened his tendencies towards softer flows. "Block Star" is more like a mixture of previously presented styles. You'll hear Young Dru smoothly moving from a mainstream professional MC ("I'm A Boss", "Make U Cum", "Nobody Flyer Than Me") through a whispering mannered rapper ("Prince Of The V", "Game Gave Me Everything") to a fast-paced and aggressive artist ("Act A Ape"). It's up to you whether you like it or not, but that's just how "Block Star" sounds. It is not only Dru, but the music itself too. Once you'll receive laidback tracks like "Livin By The Bay" or "#1 Bitch" with a pimpish flavor, while on the other hand songs like "I'm A Boss" or "Act A Ape" may be certainly played in your car audio system with a turned up volume. I'm glad that Young Dru decided to put only 12 titles on this album, as we can easily remember each track, lyrics and distinguishing rhymes. However not all of them hold the same quality level. I can't say that any of these songs were recorded hastily or sound sloppy, yet some just don't fit the overall standard. #12 is more like a Ying Yang Twins type of rap, while "Pimpin'" (with Doonie singing in the chorus) clashes with typical Dru's delivery. This project seems solid as a whole, as it includes top production, decent features and satisfactory flows from its host. I must thank Stix, Versatyle and Vince V. for half of the beats and also list Oral Bee & Pimp Lotion, Raytona 500, Pablo and Rob Lo as people responsible for the rest of them. Watchful Young Dru fans might recognize lyrics in "Make U Cum", as it was previously featured on "United Ghettos Of America" Eye Candy edition, but with a different beat, plus the chorus from #7 has already been used on Regime's "All Out War Vol. 3". Not that I'm taking these facts as disadvantages; no, not at all.

Dru proved one more time that his rap delivery is unique and he can easily switch his styles, but it sometimes makes the track sound too odd. Nonetheless if you weren't disappointed with "Out Here Hustlin'" cd and still want to hear a bit of a "V-Town" top notch level, you will surely find some great material on "Block Star" album.

Jan 4, 2003
www.bayundaground.com
Yay Boyz - Nosebleed Muzik
Guerrilla Entertainment (2007)
Rating: 4/5

01. Intro (skit)
02. Get Hyphy
03. Grape City f. Mistah F.A.B. & 2wice
04. Let It Snow f. E-40
05. Psycho f. Keak Da Sneak & A.C.L.
06. It's Pimpin f. Clyde Carson & Dru Down
07. 45's And Chops f. D'Beossy & Messy Marv
08. So Fly f. Cellski & Jacka
09. I Go Wit It f. Doonie Baby, Turf Talk & Goldie Gold
10. West Coast Bad Boy f. J-Diggs
11. My Fetti f. B-Legit & M.D.
12. Get Yo Bread Up f. Lee Majors
13. Bam Bam f. Taj-He-Spitz & Mac Mall
14. Stupid Hyphy f. Husalah & Rahmean
15. Wreckless f. Dru Down
16. Gangsta f. J-Diggs & Trill Real
17. Grandaddy Cologne f. Lee Majors
18. So Paid f. Yukmouth
19. Hustle f. Rydah J. Klyde & Chris Da 5th
20. Ain't Fuckin Wit Me f. J-Diggs
21. My Bitches And Me f. Dru Down
22. The Yay f. 2wice

Yay Boyz is a hyphy generation duet from the Bay Area, which is made of Blanco and Flawless and I'm almost sure they're both from Oakland. "Nosebleed Muzik" is their debut project, which unusually, as for the rookie artists, wasn't preceded by any kind of promotional mixtape or street album. What's more interesting, these rather unknown cats hopped on the Bay Area rap scene with their official album overcrowded with recognizable figures out of northern California.

A rather weird cover, meaning untypical for rap music and not really promising, informs us about guest appearances, which are at least as frequent as hosts' performances. Except for Yay Boyz duo we'll hear 3 verses by Dru Down, 3 by J-Diggs, 2 by Lee Majors, 2 by 2wice and a single feature by Yukmouth, Cellski, The Jacka, Keak Da Sneak, B-Legit, E-40, Mac Mall and many more. Almost every invited artist made a great impression on me, at the same time increasing the quality level of the cd. You might wonder why I started this review with listing guest appearances, right? I did that not only because their number is really amazing, but also because some of them were better than the main group. Speaking of the Yay Boyz, it is obvious they present some kind of a hyphy music, yet it is also full of other sub-genres like street, hustler or pimp shit. That go dumb style is audible mostly in Blanco's verses, who's characterized by a young, original voice and a lively, sort of dummy flow. The microphone fits his hand rather good, as he follows the beat correctly, yet he might sound a bit monotonous, emotionless. When it comes to writing lyrics he's really inventive and entertaining, as even when he raps about trivial and typical rap topics they're delivered in a very fresh and unique way. I can't make no mention of the track about cologne, where rappers compete with each other who's perfumes smell better and who's going to pick up a girl on his fragrance. Hereby I present you a quote from "Grandaddy Cologne":

In the back of the club smokin' purple weed
I don't give a fuck about security
I know you heard of me
I'm Benny Blanco
Cut more grass than a bunch of llamas
What's up which ya ma? you like my cologne?
You like my benz? Sittin' on chrome?
I'm already known, now you get down
Go hard on these hoes like my man Dru Down
Bitches can't help it, they love my fragrance
All these hoes got me under surveillance
Shorty keep asking "Can I smell like you?"
But I'm more like "What it do after 2?"

The above verse not only proves that Blanco has a sense of humor, but also showcases creative rhymes. What's more, he often intersperses his bars with original similes, which can be confirmed by one of my favorites - I'm colder than Poland in the middle of the winter. Flawless is for sure not an emcee without flaws, but he comes out at least decent. His voice is a rather typical one, not really distinguishing, plus he spits average verses. The Yay Boyz didn't perform together on every song (probably because of that huge features line-up), yet I didn't bother to mention that in the tracklist as it would lose its clarity. Speaking of the tracklist you have to admit it is impressive, isn't it? 34 guest appearances and 21 songs out of which every single one lasts at least 3 minutes. Unfortunately that large amount of material could not avoid a few defects. Hereby I'll have to list tracks like "Let It Snow (in my opinion it's too childish and dummy), "My Fetti" (also too sweet) and "My Bitches And Me" (too lively and fast-paced). The mentioned ones were definitely soaked with hyphy tones, but you must be aware that there are also some great hyphy songs like "Get Hyphy", "Grape City", "I Go Wit It" or "Stupid Hyphy". Half of the album was filled with entertainment, while the rest was dominated by street joints, where cuts with Diggs and Yuk deserve to be mentioned as outstanding. There are also some untypical vibes like the one on "Psycho" (a killer type of track with psychedelic ambiance) and "Bam Bam" (with a slight taste of reggae). It should be clear now that "Nosebleed Muzik" is a meal with diverse styles, which Yay Boyz cooked quite good. Last but not least are music producers who delivered a great dose of melodious samples and distinct bass lines. Props go to DC (14), Sean T (5), Troy Sanders and E-A-Ski. I began enjoying this record after some time, when I started feeling its musical multiplicity. Get ready for a great shot of entertainment with street and hyphy tunes.

Jan 4, 2003
www.bayundaground.com
V. Jones - Black Legacy
Money Motivated (2008)

01. 4 Bar Cue
02. In The Bay
03. Put It In The Air
04. Smooth Operator (skit)
05. What My Name Is
06. Paper Up The Ass
07. So Far Away
08. Stunt That Pill
09. Get Shot f. Mistah Mainy
10. Side With Me f. Sonny Black
11. How You Love That
12. Get Up In You
13. Music In Me
14. Rely On Me
15. Epitome Of Strength

01. Old Nature
02. I'm A Hustler
03. Go Girl
04. Smutha Somethin' f. B-Dub
05. Walnuts f. Jack Tradez & Sonny Black
06. One 4 Me
07. Lickin' My Thumbs
08. Richmond Niggas
09. Trapped In A Paradox
10. Hottest In The Hood
11. Bullets Come Flyin' f. Louieville Slugga & Lil Ric
12. When Thugs Cry
13. Livin' In The Free
14. Fuck The World
15. Black Legacy

Richmond is a city located in the north-east part of the Bay, known for legends like Lil Ric and Laroo. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of Rich Town rap scene, as - apart from the vets - the only rapper that I can think of right now who's working on the city's account is Nasty Nate.

In 2008 rapper V. Jones came from like nowhere. I've never heard of this guy and never had a chance to listen to his previous appearances. Surprisingly, this boy (not that young anymore) is dropping his debut, double cd album. We'll get almost 30 tracks, out of which the majority are solo songs. I'd never think that such an unexpected project from an unknown artist will take my fancy. I was more agreeably surprised when Jones' charizmatic voice greeted me from the very beginning of the cd. Rapper spits easily on fast pace club tracks, but he's also doing well on slower ones, when touching on some more mature topics. It was rather sure that rapper with so slim (or should I say zero) experience, wouldn't handle such a project. However he did very good in my opinion, as he recorded solid tracks, always bringing up a different subject, yet sometimes trivial. We'll hear tracks about money and richness, pimping, being dope, but also about the streets of Richmond and deep feelings to the music. V. Jones' flow is highly emotional in the majority of songs, which is making his rap even better. Songs like "Put It In The Air", "Go Girl" or "Smutha Somethin'" will surely make your head bob back to front, yet you can be touched by more serious thoughts presented in "Old Nature" or "Fuck The World". "Black Legacy" project is also that great, because of production, which was done by one man only - Stix. Paradoxically, I wasn't familiar with him either, so I was almost sure he wouldn't manage such a great number of beats. It appeared that he handled his job like a real pro, leaving a nice piece of work. I'd call his beats original, polished, unique and matching lyrics and vocals. There're many lively, party melodies, which make you move your feet. On the other hand you'll hear a few heavier or laidback ones. Those slower pace tracks usually feature RnB artists, whom I can't ignore. Tajma appeared on 6 choruses, leaving sweet taste of her famale voice. What's more you'll also hear Poorman Dre and P. Styles on three other songs. I'm really glad that Richmond got its new great artist right now, as I'm enjoying this rap scene much more. I do hope V. Jones won't disappear as unexpectedly as he showed up. I'm waiting to hear more projects like this one. Highly recommended.

ThornCity503

Rest In Peace
May 19, 2008
Good shit but it looks like your givin to much love to some albums that aren't that great. Kind of reminds me of Murderdog ratings. For example Enemigos & W.I.L.L are a half point away from being perfect albums? (nothing against Enemigos & W.I.L.L) And i give lil Coner 0 out of 5 purely based on that horrific mustache, lol

Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
We are far from judging albums by the artist's look lol.
But yeah, ThornCity503 to each his own. As a matter of fact I love both Enemigos' and WILL's albums.
On the contrary I consider V. Jones' solo mediocre at best, but the review was written by the homeboy LethaFace who considers it a solid piece of work.

Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
We at BayUndaground.com decided to also focus on the Northwest scene. That's why we'll post 4 reviews of Washington based artists tomorrow - 3 out of Seattle, one out of Tacoma. See in you 24 hrs.

Just for your info: all reviews we write are based on the real deal albums personally owned by us. They were either purchased or submitted for the review by labels / artists themselves. We just wanted you to know that we support the scene, we are not downloading these records, messing with bootlegs or whatsoever.

Jan 4, 2003
www.bayundaground.com
Good shit but it looks like your givin to much love to some albums that aren't that great. Kind of reminds me of Murderdog ratings. For example Enemigos & W.I.L.L are a half point away from being perfect albums? (nothing against Enemigos & W.I.L.L) And i give lil Coner 0 out of 5 purely based on that horrific mustache, lol
Thanx for your opinion on the reviews, we appreciate the criticism; I will post a few reviews with lower ratings in a minute just to show you that we don't consider all albums "a perfect ones".

Jan 4, 2003
www.bayundaground.com
Game Insane - Brainstorm
GI Productz (2006)
Rating: 2.5/5

01. Brainstorm - LOE & T-One
02. Face Lift - T-One & Mub
03. Tell Me Somethin' - Mub, Royalty, Ram-C-Note, LOE & T-One
04. International Networkin' - T-One & USO
05. We 2 Boss - LOE, T-One & Mub
06. Tranquility - T-One
07. Genius Ideaz - T-One, Mub, Royalty & LOE
08. Invincible - T-One, K-Rino & Mub
09. This Planet - T-One, Mr. Maja & LOE
10. 20/20 - Mastamind & T-One
11. My Way - T-One & First Degree The D.E.
12. Contemplationz - Mub & T-One
13. Innovate - T-One
14. Season Finale - T-One, Mr. Maja, Mub & LOE

Milpitas in northern California is a Santa Clara county's town in the 408 area code, which comparing to other Bay Area rap cities barely has a rap scene. The only artists who represent this place and at the same time are known beyond it are independent emcees from Game Insane group.

The GI team debuted in 2002 with an unusual, yet a solid self titled long play album. After a year they released an EP called "Trunk Tight", which partly held the level of their previous project. In fact their first rap appearance was on "City On The Hush" compilation which featured their track called "Awake The Sleepaz". Then they also had their 5 minutes on "B.A.R.T. To The 91Siccness" double album with "Money And Game" song. In 2006 the GI Productz are back with their third release entitled "Brainstorm". Before the full length album hit the stores the group made some buzz on the streets with an official single "Tell Me Somethin'" which promoted the cd. In my opinion it is one of the worst tracks from "Brainstorm", but nonetheless the song reached many peoples' ears which was its main purpose. What's more, their sophomore LP features professional graphics from Essquebed Media and a booklet with artists photos, which encourage you to buy the project.

Those of you who did not have a chance to hear rap musicians from Milpitas should note that they present an unusual and original style. From the beginning of their career they've been recording a modern and innovative rap with a distinguishing electronic sounds, but not that trashy ones! Often do they rip the mic in a faster pace, especially when it's held by T-One. Members of GI are also clearly recognizable by their different voices. The band's diversity was broadened with the sick and gloomy atmosphere from the "Trunk Tight" EP. "Brainstorm" still refers to their primary tendencies, yet it's not that fresh and unique anymore. It is still soaked with electro/synth vibes and rappers' flows haven't changed that much. T-One, who's an unwritten leader of the crew, delivers verses in a faster tempo and fills them with his young and charismatic voice. He appeared on every track including 2 solos. The rest of the members performed irregularly; Mub was featured on half of the songs, yet I have to admit that I was really impressed with his rap. His voice seamed to be even deeper and more distinct than before, plus he smoothly moves through the beat so you can listen to him with a real pleasure. Neither did LOE disappoint me as he left 5 decent verses. The least contribution had Mr. Maja, who appeared only twice but with a nice delivery. The vocal site of this project is kept on the high level, but unfortunately it is not that good when it comes to the beats. The whole production was created by T-One, who occasionally made it reproductive and secondary. We'll usually hear synth melodies, which sometimes sound familiar or just similar to one another. Like I said before, "Tell Me Somethin'", which is supposed to represent the whole cd, makes it odd and lowers the overall grade. The single includes an unsophisticated tune and too lively pace. There are obviously tracks like #2, #8, #10, #11 or #13 with a very decent production, yet it's far from the ones composed on Game Insane's debut album. Same average level refers to lyrics. We can't deny artists' talents, as they form original rhymes and metaphors, but it loses its value when used on featureless and dull topics. Most songs talk about being original and different plus a few typical cuts about the rap game and business. I regret that great vocals were partly wasted by not so good production and plain themes. Game Insane has got a huge potential, which might have been strongly exploited on their previous releases. "Brainstorm" is unluckily a step backwards in their music career. You might get yourself a copy, yet I recommend you to grab GI's debut project first.

Jan 4, 2003
www.bayundaground.com
Mr. 21 presents City Of Sharks
Criminal Records (2007)

01. Intro (skit)
02. 5 In The Morning - Mr. 21
03. Gangstas, Ballas, Shotcallas - Mr. 21, Tekpot & Traficante
04. Boom Boom - C-Locs & Mr. 21
05. Everyday - AK-9ine, CT & Impakt
06. Fuck The World - Scrilla Mac
07. Crime Buddies - Vercetti & Carrafa
08. Beware Of Shark - Cleetus Kasiody
09. Round The Club - Les Gimmex
10. 4 Dots - Hittah, Evil & Mr. 21
11. Contradictions - Sinner Loc, Cue, Heavy, Malo, Tiny & Lil Man
12. Walk With Me - Frank Gucci, Mr. 21 & C-Locs
13. Blvd - Fada J & Traficante
14. Pull The Top Down - Mr. 21 & C-Locs
15. Whos That? - Enormus The Ox, Automatic & Mr. 21
16. My City - Kwest & Jay The Butcher
17. Late Nites - Carlos Rossi, Lil Oso & Tekpot
18. Till Death Do Us Part - Assassin
19. Put It On Me - Troublez, Fatalist, Scroog & No Remorse
20. South San Jo - Big Chief
21. City Of Sharks (remix) - Mr. 21, Traficante, C-Locs, Carlos Rossi, Tekpot, Kwest, Scrilla Mac, Big Rhino, Gangsta Mister, Evil, Trigger & Dopey

The first decade of the new millennium has definitely taken San Jose rap to the next level and especially expanded its Latin part. A few last years made a lot of new Shark City cats bubble, while vets and known artists were conscientiously dropping new cds. Most Bay Area rap fans should be familiar with Criminal Records, which is one of the pioneer labels in the Latin SJ rap scene. With one of its members - Mr. 21 - in the front yard, they release a representative compilation called "City Of Sharks" in the year of 2007.

The reviewed project is filled with emcees out of South Bay, led by Criminal Records line-up. You'll hear its members (Mr. 21, Traficante, Tekpot, Fada J, Scrilla Mac) in more than half of the songs. Except for decent vocal appearances by CRs, there are other musicians who caught my attention. My approval will definitely go to C-Locs, Automatic, Frank Gucci, Enormus Tha Ox and AK-9ine's camp - Rush Productions. Coming back to the hosts of the album I must also give props to Tekpot, who composed four solid beats. The rest of production, which wasn't necessarily that great, was brought by Juice Boss, Dubble J, Dan Reda, Big Reed, Cue, Fada J, Automatic, Assassin, No Remorse and others. "City Of Sharks" is mostly praising the name and the streets of the 408 area code (#16, #20, #21), but also touches upon typical rap topics like hood stories (#2, #7) and chicks, including soft anthems (#18) and more coarse ones (#14, #17). There are even a bit of a hyphy vibes, but when you listen to the lyrics you'll discover that San Jose isn't really a place for dumb youth, what's most distinct in Mr. 21's verse from "Whos That?":

Where I'm from
We don't go dumb,
Stupid, retarded or super hyphy [...],
I don't wear vans, homie I wear nikies,
I don't usually ghost ride the whip,
Unless a bitch is sucking my dick

Unfortunately it is very often that the compilation features uneven tracks, meaning that it includes both dope and poor songs. There's no exception in this case, as 21's project has a few shoddy cuts which ultimately lower the final rating. Except for vocal foul-ups like on solo tracks by Big Chief, Les Gimmex or Cleetus Kasiody, there are also a few crappy beats. After all the total number of decent tracks strongly shrinks. Nonetheless the "City Of Sharks" project fulfills its goal and proudly represents the streets of San Jose, proving the quality from Criminal Records and from a few more rappers. If you're into Latin or SJ rap you should cop the album, but if you're not yet familiar with CR releases I highly recommend you to check out their other projects.

Jan 4, 2003
www.bayundaground.com
Mental Illness - Money Clip
R.T.S. Entertainment (2006)

01. The World Is Yours
02. Too Much To Handle
03. Why Did You Have To Go (edited)
04. Game Affiliated f. Never, Big Duna & Drizay
05. Doin What We Supposed To f. Young Erupt
06. Another Mission f. Mr. Medik
07. Murder, Death, Kill f. Cutty Face, Never & Mike Dogg
08. Face Off f. Big Oso Loc
09. Game Addiction f. Black Rhino & D-Cal
10. Get Shook
11. Separate f. Mr. Medik
12. Gangsta / Hustla
13. Rules f. Mr. Medik
14. Hustlers On The Rize f. Black Rhino, D-Cal & Twamp Nina
15. All Night Long f. Missfit
16. Why Did You Have To Go

Mental Illness is a northern Cali group made of Stockton (209) representatives. "Money Clip" is their debut project which is supported by some well known Norteno rap artists. Future will show that this Latin crew will grow in number, however on this one you'll hear only three rappers.

Big Rayzor, N-Sane and Ill Nut are the pioneer members and the creators of Mental Illness. There isn't really much I can tell you about their previous appearances in the music business, as I have only heard their verses on Big Oso Loc's cds and "Thugaholic" compilation. Nonetheless the R.T.S. Entertainment made some fuss about this album, so a considerable part of Nor Cal rap fans bought it. Like I said before, the cd features recognizable Latin artists like Never of Lowdown, Big Oso Loc or Twamp Nina. One could think that there's no need to invite guests to the studio when there are already 3 emcees in the group. Yet it happened to be a good move for MI to call all these comrades, as they brought a bit of diversity into homogeneous vocals of the hosts. What's more, the leading trio has a very similar way of rapping. N-Sane's and Ill Nut's flows are usually rapid and fast. Big Rayzor might not be such a "tongue twista", yet the whole camp has got one thing in common - there are barely any emotions or inflection variability in their verses. As a result their voices merge and it's hard to distinguish one from another. Artists' flows, in a technical way, are proper as they usually follow the pace, however when the tempo is faster they might occasionally rap off beat. You can easily guess the lyrical content of the cd simply by taking a glance at the cover and the tracklist. Main themes are the stories about lawlessness, gang banging, illegal business, but also representing the streets, rap game and a tribute song to the homies that passed away. Decent - yet typical for Latin rap scene - lyrics are accompanied by gloomy and heavy musical background. More than a half of production was done by Crazy-8, while the rest was delivered by Mike D, Never, Mike Dogg, Boones and Young Erupt. Hardly any of these beats stand out as they sound pretty much alike. They are far from weak, as most of them include melodious samples and nice bass lines, yet only Latin rap fans will appreciate producers' work. The music might seem underground or even a bit garage for an average rap fan, but it has its own unique ambiance. Speaking of the attendance of the group members you'll hear Big Rayzor on every track, N-Sane on 14, while Ill Nutt was featured on 11 of them. This debut project from Stockton representatives isn't really amazing, but I can't say that it has nothing to offer to the Latin rap fans. I just hope that in future they'll work on expressing emotions, more sophisticated, personal lyrics and that they will collaborate with other, more versatile beat makers.

ThornCity503

Rest In Peace
May 19, 2008
We are far from judging albums by the artist's look lol.
But yeah, ThornCity503 to each his own. As a matter of fact I love both Enemigos' and WILL's albums.
On the contrary I consider V. Jones' solo mediocre at best, but the review was written by the homeboy LethaFace who considers it a solid piece of work.
I know i was messing around about the mustache lol. But good shit guys do your thing and i will be peeping out the site

Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
As I announced yesterday, we're back with yet another batch of fresh reviews today. Here's one of them, a Northwest (Tacoma, Wa) 2010 release:

Second Family - Caskets and Funeral Homes
25th & 3rd Entertainment (2010)

01. Intro (Hell's Gates)
02. Bout A Swag f. Jay Barz
03. 253 In Us f. Knuckles
04. Filthy
05. I Know
06. On My Toes
07. The Game
08. Caught Up (extended) f. JussTHUG
09. Dreamin
10. Superhero (extended)
11. It's On Me
12. Inappropriate
13. In Tha Trunk
14. For You
15. Thats The Business f. JussTHUG, Knuckles & Key-C
16. How Ya Feel
17. Closer
18. Plague Your Mind

I have already written about it on another occasion, but it's all good if I repeat myself: we will also support music from the Northwest regions, as there's a quality rap coming out of this place as well; and at the same time kind of similar to what northern Cali fans are used to. So far I had an opportunity to listen to a couple of projects from Washington, but they were all handled by Seattle representatives. While the group Second Family hails from Tacoma in the 253 area code. It consists of two talented rappers: NoQuezt and Element. The currently reviewed "Caskets and Funeral Homes" originally dropped in 2009, however the limited pressing was quickly sold out, so no wonder that the artists decided to come up with a re-release before a year passed. And not your average one! Even if you own the OG version, it's worth purchasing the refreshed one, because two songs were extended, plus there are 3 additional bonus cuts.

Don't be fooled by the sepulchral feel of the album title, as it has nothing to do with horror, gore or whatsoever. It may also seem so due to a cemetery visible behind both artists on the front cover. Truth be told, the very first track - "Intro (Hell's Gates)" introduces a little disturbing atmosphere, but it's more of an exception; later on you will hear equally peculiar "Dreamin" that talks about inability to deal with one's life, dissatisfaction, an attempt to escape into dream - all in a distressing manner. Indeed, song themes are undeniable advantages of the hereby album. "Bout A Swag" is a both hard and at the same time modern track talking about not giving a damn about current fashions or trends, just being real about oneself, "253 In Us" is a calm yet very good Tacoma anthem, "On My Toes" advices you to be cautious, as world is full of fake people down to stab you in your back, because your fall may be an origin of their success. I'm also fond of these songs that are somewhere in the middle of sex and love, for instance "Caught Up" that is about an affair gone wrong, where one of the parties got too much involved; or a great "Superhero", where Second Family members clearly state that they may be women's lovers, give her some satisfaction in bed, but that's it, don't count for anything more - it's not a real love after all. You'll hear plenty of such soft, melodious cuts out here and they all come out really impressive, mainly thanks to ear-catching hooks performed by RnB singers - Cun David, Latin Rose, Christina and Dice. Choruses play a significant role in remaining tracks as well, as they can be memorized pretty quickly, perfectly match the music and normally last long - not due to being repeated, but because they are extended. Thanks to that rappers tend to record only 2 verses per song, it may seem not much, but they still exceed 3 minutes and you don't feel that it's insufficient. Let me tell you a little something about the vocal side of the project, here's a piece of NoQuezt's lyrics:

As soon as I'm through your doorway
It's more than foreplay
I hit it hard enough to catch a court case
Undoin' blouses
I've ruined couches
Let the superheroes move the mountains
I'm not the one to save you from the shoutin'
Don't call my house when
Your nigga goes to actin'

You can clearly notice that these rhymes are way above average and you should also note that such nontrivial sets can also be found in Element's performances. Both rappers are evidently experienced craftsmen and it is also easy to distinguish them, because NoQuezt has younger, high-pitched voice, while Element sounds more angry and mature. More often than not they have no problems with following the rhythm, however I found a couple of moments where they lose their smoothness. Audible glitches can be heard on "I Know", "It's On Me" as well as "Inappropriate". These are my only reproaches towards "Caskets and Funeral Homes". I doubt anyone would consider the served production not to be at least good, in my opinion it is of a very high quality. You'll often find additional stringed instruments playing in the background (props to Isaak Meek), plus - what's extremely important - numerous songs feature catchy leading motives that make them stand out and distinguishable in future. Beats were handled by MoBucks (7), Baked Beatz (3), Tryfe (4), Ounces, Element (2) as well as The Crate Crooks. Second Family usually lace you with calm and nice sounds and it's only occasionally a bit harder or rough, like in "Filthy" or "Inappropriate". What is more, there are hardly any party slappers out here, club-like hits that force crowds to bob their heads; only single one "In Tha Trunk". But that was not the artists' goal after all, because the currently reviewed project is directed to people who are looking for something else than a carefree entertainment. More towards those who care for word selection, serious lyrics and instrumental production, far from computerized vibrations. This album also proves that Northwest does have an untapped talent and at the same time puts Tacoma on the map.

You can either listen to or purchase this cd at following places: CD Baby, CD Universe, MySpace and ThaNorthwest.com.
Trmndus, thank you for submitting the album for the review.

Jan 4, 2003
www.bayundaground.com
Mr. Skrillz & Junebug Slim - The Adventures Of Franklin And Jackson
Corner Store Records / Lock Down Records (2010)

01. The Adventures Of (skit)
02. Franklin And Jackson
03. Dope Fienz f. Bueno
04. Moov That Gurl f. Chase More
05. Clappers f. T-Nutty
06. Keep It Gangsta f. Chase More
07. She's Like Cocaine f. Lee Majors
08. Bitch (skit)
09. Pimp 4 Real
10. Feeling Like Mac Dre f. Dubb 20
11. Centerfold
12. Mr. International
13. Rolln
14. Cinco De Mayo
15. Clear Skys
16. Take My Life
17. Midnight Holiday

Mr. Skrillz and Junebug Slim, here starring as two dead presidents, decided to record a joint project, where they share they stories of entertainment and party life. Both rappers represent Sacramento and you should have already heard about them, especially about the second one. Junebug Slim is known on the northern Cali rap scene since late 90's as he dropped over 10 projects, including solo albums and duet CDs with MC Man and The Dyers Lone Click. Mr. Skrillz is definitely newer to the game, but you may remember him from 2009 compilation called "Sacto 2 Da Crest" released under Reek Daddy's wings and his collabo records with G. Bundle and Mac Cheeze.

The reviewed album dropped under Corner Store and Lock Down labels - two record companies for which authors of this project worked earlier. These guys are aiming their music to all rap fans who enjoy good entertainment, so don't expect to hear sophisticated themes, deep content, complicated rhymes or uncommon word plays. This album will definitely sound best at the party or in your car audio system. In my opinion it is Mr. Skrillz who better fits the mentioned atmosphere as his flow is charismatic and full of energy. He smoothly moves over the beats leaving pleasant verses often marked with audible emotions. Junebug, probably because he's a bit older, seams to be less vivid on the mic as his delivery is not that melodious as Skrillz'. Of course his studio experience guaranteed a decent, proper flow, but it's clear that he wasn't working much on his lyrics or he simply directs it to average fans of mainstream, TV type of rap. That's why we'll receive a lot of simple and light content, which mostly refers to women, admiring their beauty and sexual persuasion. The mentioned themes are included both on more soft and slower tracks, for instance "She's Like Cocaine" or "Pimp 4 Real", as well as those more party/club like on "Moov That Gurl", "Centerfold" and "Clear Skys". Unfortunately the groove of the song don't always serve its purpose, meaning it doesn't really catch listener's attention, including me. A good example might be the two mentioned above cuts: "Centerfold" which is in my opinion too hyphy and I can't feel the vibe of it, and "Clear Skys" where the beat knocks too often and it's definitely far from rap etiquette. After all we could put the blame on producers of these songs: Insane Mexican and Bez Rosen, however the rest of the album included at least decent and often splendid production. Hereby I give props to people like Derick D, Lazi Boi, Chase More, Lee Majors, Demon and Skrillz himself. They usually delivered loud, distinct bass lines and melodious, yet quite uncomplicated sample loops. One more thing that irritates me a bit is an autotune used a couple of times, including the whole Bueno's verse (the autotune wasn't that strong, but I could clearly hear his voice was modified). A small number of guest appearances didn't really change much, as almost every invited artist left an average material. Although I want to thank RnB artists (not mentioned in the track listing) who delivered smooth and melodious choruses. "The Adventures Of Franklin And Jackson" is rather directed to hyphy / entertaining rap fans, so if you're looking for a solid, sophisticated and more ambitious music you might not appreciate the effort by this Sacra duo.