Bay Area rap has fallen off as of late!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 6, 2005
im complain because the lack of good music,it i ever saw any of those rappers and had the chance to talk to them ill tell them the same thing i told them in my post.they humans just like us.
trust me ive done dat N most of da time they get butt hurt N ontop of dat they dont even wana go 1z lol i aint sayin no names though but fuck all u phony azz so called gangsta rapperz

Jan 31, 2009
BLASPHEMUS THAT YOU DIDNT MENTION THIS PERSON

MYSPACE.COM/NIOTHAGIFTFROMGOD

IF YOU KNOW ABOUT THE REAL RICH CITY THEN YOU KNOW THIS KID...IF YOU DONT...TRY AND GET FAMILIAR...FAST

NASA

Sicc OG
Feb 5, 2003
the only thing i hate hearing from bay rappers is when they attempt to make someshit you would hear from a south artist, if i wanted to hear a trap album ide buy young jeezy.
Yep....Alot of Bay rappers lost their creativity.

The Team needs to get back together! They had their own sound and brought something different to the table. Not only that but they dropped new shit like it was nothing to them. How you think all them muthafuckas from Texas do it. They hit their fans with new shit constantly that's how they keep their buzz in the streets.

Jun 25, 2005
im complain because the lack of good music,it i ever saw any of those rappers and had the chance to talk to them ill tell them the same thing i told them in my post.they humans just like us.
Foreal if people can be honest wit tha average dude tryin to sell em their mixtape....why not them?
trust me ive done dat N most of da time they get butt hurt N ontop of dat they dont even wana go 1z lol i aint sayin no names though but fuck all u phony azz so called gangsta rapperz
I know that shit is hella funny watchin them get all hurt and quiet cuz they expect us to say " Aw shit your rushed ass album or mixtape is a slapper" LOL

Feb 10, 2004
www.twitter.com
fasho bruh,.. its all luv... i see your point., and i understand where u was coming from and what ur statements actaully meant.,. i just took them outta context. its good thow.. imma keep doin my thing. and hopefully i didnt lose your support. and yeah. fuk alllll these movements. fuk a movements mutha fuka need a business plan.
a how many hits do you be gettin on your blog site?
realest shit ever.

Feb 10, 2004
www.twitter.com
A factor I think we don't mention much is competition. At the most underground level in NY, rappin is a sport and people start rappin to be the best. Out here niggaz started rappin when they found out it could change their lifestyle. I think that's good, because that is a big part of the subject matter. But there should also be a drive to not only get rich, but to be the best. If you talk to anybody who dropped records during the 90's people had to make sure that they sounded original and that they were better than whoever else was hot at the time.

Mar 1, 2006
Biggest problems? Most cats in the game today have no objectivity, no originality, no imagination, no personality, no patience, , and yes... no talent. And whats crazy is that those that do have the aforementioned gifts, seem to have no business sense.They don't realize that theres no substitute for quality. They keep fuckin' around wit that free shit from amateurs instead of breakin' bread for that real.

It is a fact that the quality of the MUSIC has declined simply because cats believe they can get by wit these little tapped out juvenile soundin' ass beats with out adding any melodies, harmonies, or basslines. The sounds thats comin' out of the bay (and shit lets be honest OUT OF HIP HOP PERIOD) is not music anymore. Shit sounds hella mechanical nowadays. Aint no groove to the shit no more. Aint no soul to it. Thats why aint nobody really feelin' it.

The fact that every other mothafucka you meet (be they Niggas, Whiteboys, Mexicans, or what have you) thinks that he's a rapper or producer just cause he really, really, REALLY wants to be, is the reason why Hip Hop sounds like shit today. To the untrained ear it may sound like a new style or sound is possibly being discovered, but the sad reality is that those of us who have been around long enough know that what you're really hearing is what it sounds like when someone really doesn't know what the fuck they're doing. It's evident that most of these fools is just tryin' to fake it till they make it. Thats why theres no originality. When a cat doesn't know what he's doing he copies and references other mothafuckas to try to fit in. Problem is... now we got muthafuckas who don't know what they doing, copying muthafuckas who don't know what they doin'! And this absolutely extends to you rappers too.

It's a fuckin' vicious cycle I tell you...

Feb 24, 2007
Biggest problems? Most cats in the game today have no objectivity, no originality, no imagination, no personality, no patience, , and yes... no talent. And whats crazy is that those that do have the aforementioned gifts, seem to have no business sense.They don't realize that theres no substitute for quality. They keep fuckin' around wit that free shit from amateurs instead of breakin' bread for that real.

It is a fact that the quality of the MUSIC has declined simply because cats believe they can get by wit these little tapped out juvenile soundin' ass beats with out adding any melodies, harmonies, or basslines. The sounds thats comin' out of the bay (and shit lets be honest OUT OF HIP HOP PERIOD) is not music anymore. Shit sounds hella mechanical nowadays. Aint no groove to the shit no more. Aint no soul to it. Thats why aint nobody really feelin' it.

The fact that every other mothafucka you meet (be they Niggas, Whiteboys, Mexicans, or what have you) thinks that he's a rapper or producer just cause he really, really, REALLY wants to be, is the reason why Hip Hop sounds like shit today. To the untrained ear it may sound like a new style or sound is possibly being discovered, but the sad reality is that those of us who have been around long enough know that what you're really hearing is what it sounds like when someone really doesn't know what the fuck they're doing. It's evident that most of these fools is just tryin' to fake it till they make it. Thats why theres no originality. When a cat doesn't know what he's doing he copies and references other mothafuckas to try to fit in. Problem is... now we got muthafuckas who don't know what they doing, copying muthafuckas who don't know what they doin'! And this absolutely extends to you rappers too.

i feel that.

THATS WHY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS TELL MC ULTRA SUCK TO STEP IT UP OR >>>>>>>>>>>>>GIVE IT UP<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Feb 16, 2006
www.thebayisback.com
fasho bruh,.. its all luv... i see your point., and i understand where u was coming from and what ur statements actaully meant.,. i just took them outta context. its good thow.. imma keep doin my thing. and hopefully i didnt lose your support. and yeah. fuk alllll these movements. fuk a movements mutha fuka need a business plan.
a how many hits do you be gettin on your blog site?
I support any good music.

I'm getting 250-300 visits a day.....400-600 page views a day right now.

----

In terms of the quality of Bay Area rap... people just need to have their own sound. And they try to do to much on their album... trying to please everyone. Most albums I really like have a similar vibe throughout.

Thats what I liked about The Jack Artist... it a similar feel throughout... and Jacka still touched on all sorts of topics and had some tracks that could be played on the radio.

Same with The Team's last album...3/4th of the album had a similar vibe to it.

Even if a rapper sucks...as long as they're being them... i can respect it.

Mar 1, 2006
In terms of the quality of Bay Area rap... people just need to have their own sound. And they try to do to much on their album... trying to please everyone. Most albums I really like have a similar vibe throughout.
Thats why cats need to stick to one, or at most two, producers until their career has pretty much run it's course. Once you have a dedicated fan base, then and only then, should you go out and experiment with other producers. Cause only then will your fans be forgiving enough to continue to buy your albums even though your sound has changed. Thats not happening though... what's happening is that these rappers run around and snatch up a "free" track here and a "free" track there from different wannabe producers until they have an entire album made up of "free" tracks, and expect all the fans to "Support the Bay" by buying their hot mess of an album.

Understand this... fans buy albums because they expect them to be a reflection or continuation of a style or sound that they have come to know and appreciate from hearing one of your singles. In the end, whatever brought them to you is what is going to keep them there. if your album is made up of tracks from 13 different producers then what you have is a patchwork of styles and there is no continuity.To a customer It's almost like the old bait and switch. You started out servin' samples of A-1 (somethin' they wanted) but then when they get the package home they find out you done stuck 'em wit a bunch of off brand shit (somethin' they didn't want, ask for, or even expect). You know what happens when you do that to a paying customer? He goes and gets his shit elsewhere...

Oct 19, 2004

Bruh we think exactly alike about this topic.

Nov 14, 2002

you hit it right on the head!

rappers are getting their game from rappers (the blind leading the blind).back in the days rappers use to get their game from OGs and old men.now we have these youngstas following rappers for slogans and game instead gettin the real game from the roots.that why when a real hood fool speak out about these rapper these days they get called "HATERS" cause the fool thats speakin the real dont got as much fame as the person they speakin on.i grew in a era when rappers would get knowledge from the streets on what they seen and been through and apply it to their music,now rappers are getting their knowledge from other rappers music and applying it to their music not knowin that the record labels are telling the majors rappers how to sound and follow whats hot at the moment.now to you got rappers following a rapper that following a rapper that following a rapper....THE BLIND LEADING THE BLIND......

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
I think the height of creativity/originality was all the nickatina/nick peace cds cause they both dared to be different and came up with a sound that most aren't skilled enough to imitate let alone duplicate,and the end result was classic material.Now if more people would take note and treat music not like a job,but an art form of audio expression maybe they wouldn't get caught up with hooks and gimmicks because that"s whats sells units,they could focus on on improving they're craft and growing as artists instead of staying in they're box/label because that's whats expected and until that day comes we will have to put up with bullshit like hyphy/thizz music and the stanky leg:ermm:.

Mar 1, 2006
Ask yourselves this.... What does it take to be successful as a Hip-Hop Artist nowadays? Now, the key word in that sentence is "Hip Hop". Please notice that I did not say Pop or Top 40. You have to come to the realization that just because a song you hear is by a Rapper and has a Hip-Hop sounding beat, he is not necessarily a Hip-Hop artist and that the song you are hearing is not necessarily a Hip-Hop song. How can this be? Well first of all, if you're hearing it on the radio it most definitely is not a Hip-Hop song, it is most likely a Pop (Top 40) song. You'll almost never hear a true Hip hop song by a true Hip hop artist on the radio in The Bay Area because there are no Hip-Hop radio stations in The Bay Area. What about KMEL you ask? Sorry to burst your bubble but KMEL is not a Hip-Hop station. It's a Pop station. They play what is "popular". The same goes for the rest of these radio station masquerading as so called "Urban" stations. they will change their format to whatever is hot at the drop of a dime, because to them its all about the money and hey... ain't nothin wrong with that right? Get it through your heads once you cross over to the radio you are no longer Hip-Hop you are Pop. Your music may not change but your classification will.

Anywayz... back to what I was sayin'... So what does it take to be a successful Hip-Hop artist Nowadays? Well since we have come to the conclusion that if you're on the radio you're most likely a Pop Artist and not a Hip-Hop Artist then Radio is not the answer. It would follow that if radio play pretty much puts you in the Pop Artist category then TV exposure would too so thats not the answer either. So now that we have those 2 hurdles out of the way we can get down to business. I believe you only need the following things:

1. Talent (= original recognizable lyrical style, content, and delivery)
2. Good Music (= original recognizable style, with at least a minimum standard of production quality)
3. A deliverable medium and distribution Mechanism
4. Adequate business and marketing skills (includes objectivity)
5. Fans

Out of the 5 most Bay Area artists have only #3 (A deliverable medium and distribution Mechanism) because contrary to popular belief it is the easiest to attain.
In my opinion if you don't have #1 and #2 ,then #3 and #4 will most likely not help you to gain what is ultimately your objective and that is number #5. If most of you had number #4 you would have the objectivity to realize that you don't have #1 and #2 so there would be no need to continue to pursue#3, #4, or #5 anyway. In any case those of you who do have #1 through #3 need to pay particular attention to #4 if you would like to obtain and keep #5.

The Fans (#5) are the key to a successful career as a Hip-Hop Artist. Once you've created your product and distributed it, it's your job to stand behind it. Unless reinvention is part of your gimmick (ala Madonna) then don't keep tampering with it. The fans that you have gained will not appreciate it. If they liked what you' were doing they will continue to like it and eventually become loyal to your brand. Not only that, they will spread your gospel to their friends and family because they know you won't let them down because they know you are consistent. You don't experiment with other peoples money. It aint cool. Give 'em what they came for and they'll be happy. Give 'em somethin' else and they'll leave pissed.

P.S. Originality really does go a long way. If you think of certain artist with cult followings (whether you like them or not) such as Nicatina, Pac, Mac Dre, Cougnut, E-40, Too $hort, and even Smoov-E, when they came out they was on some completely other original shit than everyone else. So many cats have bitten their styles over the years that it's sometimes hard to remember when those styles were fresh and new, but although they haven't all continued to give the fans what it was that first brought them to the table, they got to where by being original.

Dec 29, 2008
hip hop can be popular music though. come on man i know you have a better argument than that. why would you type so many words when your premise can be so easily dismissed.
did 70Sav ever reveal his identity? or is he still posting in anonymity?
i

Mar 1, 2006
Yeah Hip-Hop can be pop music but once it is, it's pop right? I mean an un-pregnant woman has the ability to be pregnant, but once shes pregnant she's no longer un-pregnant right?

It's kind of either or...