Bass Boost?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 22, 2008
aight so i have this bass boost effect on my recording program but i cant get it to sound just right....i was wondering if anyone knew what frequency i should raise the decible's at.....it goes from 0-200......i would appreciate the good looks....

Apr 25, 2002
It's better to pull everything else back then to boost but what would sound best depends on the sound and what you're trying to accomplish. Just play with it until you get what you're looking for.

Apr 22, 2008
pull everything else back...you mean just lower the decibles on the whole track and then boosting the bass?...lol...cuz i dont really know how to use the equalizer...

Jun 12, 2007
www.mybeatshop.com
The punch on a kick is usually at 60Khz -64Khz and bass can be generated on anything in between depending on what instruments you use in your production. My advice for a EQ novice is get a good frequency analyzer. This will help you learn where certain frequencies come in and where you need to tone it down or increase. Waves or Roger Nichols would be my pick. I personally use the Waves ones that came with my Diamond bundle and they are "Dead On" but for those that do not have the cash just yet Roger Nichols has a free one that will most generally get the job done. But even after you know what to tone down and increase be careful with going overboard on it. My setup on most tracks I use a Waves Audio Track and follow that by a Waves Analyzer I check the levels and see what's to high and what needs more presence. I increase and decrease as needed and I'll usually follow that by a pinch of Compression to level the track. That's just a example. Best Of Luck!!! O yea and roll off anything below 20Khz this is the "Mud Maker Zone"

Feb 2, 2006
dam ^thats clean bra cuz i think im going to fuck with that analyzer. them waves plugins are the business though RBass is a good one for your drums/bass.

edit: @AzteknowledG - if i was you though i would try to watch some tutorials on youtube or read up on eq'ing a little bit because you should at least have an idea of what it does before you start eqing or youll be making your tracks sound worse. as far as "bass boost" if its a graphic eq and make your filter real real skinny and boost it up real high and sweep it around the low frequencys, find out wheres the bass in the kick and wheres the Hit in the kcik and boost it. it took me a while to finally figure out how to make the eq work for me for about 6 months it was working against me cuz i didnt knwo what the fuck i was doing. it gets easy when you do it a lot though.

Jun 12, 2007
www.mybeatshop.com
Yea there 100% worth the money if you got it Dawg. But I won't knock the Roger Nichols stuff I use em' and all I'll give is praise. But for all of you guys just starting, that free one will make a 100% difference once you know where the problematic frequencies are and learn how to bell your EQ's to tone em' down. Then after you make a little cash you can upgrade to the Waves stuff or even the Roger Nichols INSPECTOR XL which has some better visual comprehension to it for the novice I like it a lot myself. heres a quick link for the free analyzer http://www.rndigital.org/inspector.html They don't charge for it but I hope it helps all of you out cause I remember what it was like not being able to figure out why my shit sounded all muddy and weird lol. Remember that this is a tool that will help your mix out a lot but don't forget that mixing, levels etc also play a big roll. Best Of Luck!!!

Apr 22, 2008
damn good lucks on showin luv.....ima watch some instructionals and shit...cuz basically with the program i use to record the bass boost is like "db's" and "Hz"...or sumn like that...only two options....but it does have a multi band eq, i mean my shit comes out sounding pretty nice...but i can see where it need an eq so ima start trying to figure that out...all the tips really help..props

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Ya'll need to upgrade your Waves Bundles. Get that Mercury Bundle. The SSL Series, V-Series, and API Series are clean! PSP Xenon is a solid Limiter. Put it on your Master Fader/Track while Mixing. Nomad Factory have some solid plugins also.

As far as a Bass Boost. I don't think you need to use one. Simple EQ will do the trick. Pull Back / Reset all your levels and slowly bring them up until everything is balanced. The bass will come through. If you need more Lows on it, just use a simple EQ and bring up the Lows a tad on the Bass Track. Louder isn't better! You want to leave head room for Mastering.

Make sure you have a Sub for your Monitors also. And once you have a clean mix on your System, Burn it to CD and test it on everything you can.

Peace.

Apr 26, 2006
Ya'll need to upgrade your Waves Bundles. Get that Mercury Bundle. The SSL Series, V-Series, and API Series are clean! PSP Xenon is a solid Limiter. Put it on your Master Fader/Track while Mixing. Nomad Factory have some solid plugins also.

Peace.

Yeah that's some dope shit right there.

Lately, I've been using a lot of PSP Vintage Warmer2. Shit is so dope and easy to use. I just drop it in my master and mix the rest of my shit around it.

The BBE D82 Sonic Maximizer plugin is pretty nice as well to give presence in your lows and highs.

Apr 26, 2006

As far as a Bass Boost. I don't think you need to use one. Simple EQ will do the trick. Pull Back / Reset all your levels and slowly bring them up until everything is balanced. The bass will come through. If you need more Lows on it, just use a simple EQ and bring up the Lows a tad on the Bass Track. Louder isn't better! You want to leave head room for Mastering.

Make sure you have a Sub for your Monitors also. And once you have a clean mix on your System, Burn it to CD and test it on everything you can.

Peace.
Is there a way to run the API Series plugins without using the VST shell? I have them, but the VST shell doesn't load up for some reason, I think it's conflicting with the older VST shells I have. I think what I might have to do is uninstall all my WAVE products, delete the registry entries and then install the API series first, then the Mercury bundle.

BTW, which VST shell version is the one that pertains to the API plugins? Is it version 5.9.5?

That wave shell shit is so fucking stupid, I have no clue why they do that shit.

Feb 2, 2006
^i think the api comes with the mercury bundle so thats probobly why your waves is fucking up you installing it twice

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Is there a way to run the API Series plugins without using the VST shell? I have them, but the VST shell doesn't load up for some reason, I think it's conflicting with the older VST shells I have. I think what I might have to do is uninstall all my WAVE products, delete the registry entries and then install the API series first, then the Mercury bundle.

BTW, which VST shell version is the one that pertains to the API plugins? Is it version 5.9.5?

That wave shell shit is so fucking stupid, I have no clue why they do that shit.
Nope. You have to run the Wave Shell.

I would have to personally move each Wave Shell one by one and load up my DAW a bunch of times to find out which one had the API Plugins. It's a bitch.

If your installing the Mercury Bundle, you have to completely uninstall everything Waves Related first, and then do a clean install of Waves Mercury.

This includes deleting any and all Registry Entries of Waves, everything.

I hate the Wave Shells also. Because, when I first installed the Mercury Bundle, every Plugin was duplicated in my PT 7.4. I had to go through each Wave Shell in my DAE\Plug-Ins folder and delete/move one until I found out which one was duplicating my Waves Plugins, because each plugin was duplicated. I had 2 Mono's and 2 Stereo Plugins for each Plugin. I finally found out which Wave Shell it was, I wrote it down to a Read Me file and backed it up incase I ever installed it on another machine or whatever. And then I deleted the corrupted/duplicated Waveshell.

You just have to install them, and then if you want to find out what is in what, you have to move a Waveshell, re-load your DAW, see what show's up, move it back, move another one, etc. And then make note of it.

Apr 26, 2006
Nope. You have to run the Wave Shell.

I would have to personally move each Wave Shell one by one and load up my DAW a bunch of times to find out which one had the API Plugins. It's a bitch.

If your installing the Mercury Bundle, you have to completely uninstall everything Waves Related first, and then do a clean install of Waves Mercury.

This includes deleting any and all Registry Entries of Waves, everything.

I hate the Wave Shells also. Because, when I first installed the Mercury Bundle, every Plugin was duplicated in my PT 7.4. I had to go through each Wave Shell in my DAE\Plug-Ins folder and delete/move one until I found out which one was duplicating my Waves Plugins, because each plugin was duplicated. I had 2 Mono's and 2 Stereo Plugins for each Plugin. I finally found out which Wave Shell it was, I wrote it down to a Read Me file and backed it up incase I ever installed it on another machine or whatever. And then I deleted the corrupted/duplicated Waveshell.

You just have to install them, and then if you want to find out what is in what, you have to move a Waveshell, re-load your DAW, see what show's up, move it back, move another one, etc. And then make note of it.

Yup, that all sounds like a BITCH. I fucking hate that wave shell bs. I'll do the uninstall some time later and see if it hopefully works. That mercury bundle is a bitch though, takes forever considering it's large size.

Apr 26, 2006
UPDATE!

Ok Mr. Samos, check this shit out dogg, you'll like it if you haven't seen this already...

I just came to the conclusion that these API plugins do not work in FL Studio. The Wave Shell 5.9.5 just wouldn't load, "invalid plugin." Therefore, I searched the internet "Waves API Plugins don't work in FL Studio" via google and came to a very nice fix after reading various forums.

What I found is, there's a small little utility called "shell2vst." What it will do is extract the plugins from the wave shells and create single .dlls, so you don't have to use the wave shells anymore. So it's fucking quick and convenient just like all your other vsts.

Here's the download link for this small little utility:
http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/shell2vst.zip

To use it, alls you have to do is put that shell2vst.exe into your VST plugins folder where the wave shells are located, then drag the wave shells over that shell2vst.exe file icon. Then once you drag a wave shell over that file, a DOS window will pop up and ask you if you want to overwrite the existing .dlls or some shit. I just said yes. So just keep on hitting y + enter and your done for that wave shell. It will create a new "Waves" folder within your VST plugin directory and put the new .dlls in there. :cool:

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Thanks dude. I don't use FL Studio, but, I still hate Waveshells. They take forever to load upon opening PT, and they run too much CPU when processing in real time.

This may come in handy. I'll burn it to a RW and check it later.

Now I wonder if those VST DLL's it extracts/creates can be Wrapped to RTAS and run successfully with the VST2RTAS Adapter. Hmm.

I'll have to do a little experiment. If it works that will be cheddar. I will only wrap a few important ones from the bundle that I use excessively, but, now I can also cut out shit I don't use from the bundle.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Every DAW should allow one to customize his plugin display completely. Hiding certain plugins, being able to label and organize plugins, etc. Every DAW should have this feature. I do not understand why no DAW has this feature, that I know of?

I use Sony Sound Forge 9 for Audio Editing. It has this feature. It's sick. I can display my plugins/instruments the way I want them to be displayed, and I can hide certain plugins, favorite certain plugins, etc. It's great.

Apr 26, 2006
Yeah, that's exactly what I hate about the wave shells, they take too damn long to load and they take extra CPU to run. Their bullshit.

As far as organizing plugins, I know you don't use it, but FL Studio is pretty damn good at plugin management. It's the fastest and most efficient one I've used so far. First of all it just simply scans for .dll file names in the VST directly, it doesn't scan/load/verify like other DAWs do which takes so damn long and sometimes causes crashes or hangs. So in that regard, it's super fast and stable when searching for new plugins that you just added. And other than that, you can select which ones you want visible in your list and it sorts them alphabetical of course by .dll name.

Jun 12, 2007
www.mybeatshop.com
As far as organizing plugins into separate columns or groups. Sonar 7 by Cakewalk does this. I used to use Sonar but ever since I got my hands on Pro Tools I won't be going back anytime soon. Pro Tools does a decent job of putting them into the right categories like dynamics, delay, modulation etc. And ooooooo yes I know the pain of the Wave Shells lol. I'll usually check my Email while I'm waiting lol.

Apr 26, 2006
As far as organizing plugins into separate columns or groups. Sonar 7 by Cakewalk does this. I used to use Sonar but ever since I got my hands on Pro Tools I won't be going back anytime soon. Pro Tools does a decent job of putting them into the right categories like dynamics, delay, modulation etc. And ooooooo yes I know the pain of the Wave Shells lol. I'll usually check my Email while I'm waiting lol.
Try that utility I'm talking about, so you don't have to use those Wave Shells. :cool: