AFFLICTION Trilogy Fedor Emelianenko vs Josh Barnett

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

"The Last Russian Emperor" vs "The Babyfaced Assassin"

• Fedor Emelianenko Via Decision

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Josh Barnett Via TKO

• Josh Barnett Via Submission

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 7, 2006
FEDOR TO ADDRESS "TRILOGY" WITH RUSSIAN MEDIA

MMAWeekly has learned that Fedor Emelianenko will conduct a press conference in Moscow early Thursday morning for the Russian telecast of Affliction “Trilogy.” The press conference will be broadcast on Channel One, a state-run channel with the largest broadcast reach.

It’s all but certain Emelianenko will address the sudden removal of friend Josh Barnett from the card’s main event due to a positive test for steroids.

Steven Bash, Emelianenko’s translator and an American representative for Affliction partner M-1 Global, said the No. 1 ranked heavyweight was in transit from his camp in Stary Oskol to Russia and learned of the change this morning.

“He is fully aware of the latest developments,” said Bash.

Bash added that Emelianenko has yet to complete his pre-fight medicals for the event and is arriving in California early, possibly on Sunday, to submit necessary paperwork and tests.

So far, the leading candidate to face Emelianenko appears to be Vitor Belfort, who would vacate his main card slot against Jorge Santiago to headline against the heavier Russian.

According to Dave Meltzer of Yahoo! Sports, Affliction representatives are offering a $500,000 purse to the eventual replacement for Barnett.

Feb 7, 2006
JOSH BARNETT ISSUES STATEMENT ON DRUG TEST

Number two ranked heavyweight Josh Barnett has remained silent since the California State Athletic Commission denied him a license to fight Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction "Trilogy" on Aug. 1. The denial was brought after a pre-fight drug test revealed the presence of a banned performance enhancer.

MMAWeekly was scheduled to shoot training footage and a video interview of Barnett on Wednesday, and aired an interview taken prior to the controversy on MMAWeekly radio the same day.

When news of the license denial broke, Barnett's manager, Shannon Hooper, canceled the interview and said interviews would be granted after working with the commission on the issue.

However, early Thursday morning, Barnett issued a blog posting on his official Myspace account responding to the situation.

"Many of you are wondering what's happening," he wrote. "What I can say is that when applying for my license, the CSAC asked for me to submit a urine sample for testing prior to granting my license as they do with everyone, I believe. It was not a random test. I had no reason to believe there would be any issues and went in to submit my sample at the earliest possible opportunity on June 25th. I never once thought there would be a problem.

"My representatives and I are working to gather as much info as possible and handle this situation as best as we can. I am embarrassed and want for nothing more than to resolve this issue and receive a license from the State of California as I have done many times already and for other states as well.

I am very thankful for all the great family, friends and fans that still support me."

Feb 7, 2006
Fedor Upset, Ready for Replacement

MOSCOW -- The RIA News building is located on Moscow's Garden Ring, a short walk from Gorky Park (of the Scorpions’ “Winds of Change” fame). Its conference hall was almost standing-room only Thursday as Vadim Finkelshtein, head of M-1 Global and Fedor Emelianenko's long-time manager and friend, somberly filled in the assembled Russian media on the latest news from the U.S.

Flanked by Igor Vovchanchyn, Mikhail Zayats (2008 Combat Sambo World Champion who is facing Lucio Linhares at the Affliction “Trilogy” event) and of course Fedor, Finkelshtein attempted to explain the CSAC ruling and the Affliction/M-1 Global options in Josh Barnett's absence.

It's fair to say that the atmosphere didn't have much further to fall, the disappointment so thick you could cut it with an elbow.

The news that Barnett, Fedor’s scheduled opponent, tested positive for a banned substance and would not be licensed to fight had circulated in the Russian state and commercial media Wednesday. Instead of final questions prior to Fedor’s departure for the U.S., the previously planned news conference turned into people wishing Fedor well, whomever he ends up facing.

The most noteworthy of these wishes was from a Moscow sports magazine that had brought along a 150-kg strongman competition athlete who, in the glare of flashbulbs, quickly rolled up, into a tube, a standard kitchen frying pan and handed it to the amused Fedor as a symbol of Russian strength and a somewhat unusual good-luck charm.

While the opponent for Fedor has not yet been confirmed, there appears to be two frontrunners. As previously reported, Vitor Belfort has in principle agreed to the fight, pending final negotiations. There is also, however, the possibility that Fedor could face an undefeated Brett Rogers, the man who most recently (and much more quickly than Fedor) knocked out Andrei Arlovski.

“We personally entertain the idea of having Brett Rogers step in since he knocked Andrei Arlovski out,” Finkelshtein told M-1Global.com. “But if there is any problem with Rogers, then it’s pretty safe to say it’s going to be Belfort. However, we are well aware of the fact that fans don’t consider Vitor Belfort to be a suitable replacement, according to a recent Sherdog poll.”

Rogers is signed with Strikeforce. Concerning the heavyweight, Finkelshtein told Sherdog.com after the news conference that he is in “urgent negotiations with Strikeforce at the moment, and if we can agree, and if they [Strikeforce] release him, that's a fight we'd like to see.”

Fedor on Rogers, Belfort & Barnett

After waiting for the multiple television and live radio interviews to be concluded, I sat down with Fedor and discussed the situation for some time. He was tanned, as always during Russia's sunbaked summer, and sported a healing cut on the bridge of his nose that he had received a week ago while sparring with his brother Aleksander.

“It's not broken or anything like that, just a scratch really," Fedor said.

He was tired of answering questions. This notwithstanding -- Fedor is the consummate professional when it comes to dealing with the press -- and even though he was very diplomatic in his answers, he came across as deeply disappointed.

“Josh is a great, strong fighter. I've always followed his fights and liked him as a competitor and as a person. I was very prepared, totally ready for a good, hard fight. But,” he said, pausing for a few seconds, “what can you do? I am disappointed, though I'm glad that after all I don't have to fight a friend.”

This was followed by genuine laughter, which is not something that I've seen a lot of from the camp in the last day. Fedor was optimistic about speaking to Barnett.

"We haven't had a chance to speak to him yet, though I really want to,” he said. “And once we do speak, most probably we will not discuss what has happened in the last day."

He said this with a concern that seemed directed at the well being of Barnett, almost out of worry for him, rather than out of any animosity, though nobody would have faulted Fedor for being angry with Barnett.

“For this fight, there was nothing external that was getting in the way of training, except for small but uncomfortable injuries,” Fedor said. “I had boils come up one after another, things like that. The nose and etc. … In regard to Rogers, I think he is a very serious opponent. I think he is very physically strong, and possesses significant knockout power. And I think that taking this into account, Andrei [Arlovski] was too quick to decide to stand and trade with him, and missed a punch. And also I think, and this is my personal opinion, that he was too quick to train and fight again. No matter how good a sportsman he is, he sometimes misses head punches and that means a concussion yet again, and I think he took the fight too early. He should have had more time off to recuperate.”

Fedor was diplomatic when talking about whom he prefers to face out of the two possibilities of Rogers or Belfort.

"I'm not in a situation where I can pick who I am fighting. I will fight whoever they put in front of me," he said.

I thought that was too diplomatic; I wanted to know who was the more interesting opponent for him.

“You know, I'm being really honest here,” he said. “I am equally interested in a fight with either Belfort or Rogers. I've never fought with either one. I used to watch Belfort fight, even before I started competing. So there is a history there for me with him. It is very interesting to me; he was a fighter who faced and beat a lot of the greatest fighters in MMA at the time. Rogers is a fighter who is tearing through the heavyweight division with 10 fights and 10 wins. And, I have to add, he beat Arlovski."

I also had to ask about the weight difference between him and Belfort, who recently has been fighting at 185 pounds.

"To be honest, in terms of his speed at that weight, I honestly don't know if being heavier is an advantage with a fighter who is as fast as him at his current weight,” Fedor said. “I have always found it harder to fight the lighter, faster guys, rather than the really big, plodding heavy and super heavyweights. And Belfort has always stood out in terms of his speed."

Long after the news conference was over, Fedor was still giving interviews and taking photos with fans. He flies to the U.S. on Friday to acclimate to local conditions.

As disappointed as he really is at the change of circumstances for the Aug. 1 Affliction and M-1 Global event, he is taking things more or less in stride. He also alluded to God, making an unusual reference to the Russian Orthodox religion he has recently strengthened his connection with.

"It's God's will,” he said, “and because of that, I know what has happened is for the best.”

Feb 7, 2006
Vadim Finkelchtein: "We’d like to see Fedor fight against Brett Rogers" at Affliction: Trilogy

With Josh Barnett pulled from the Aug. 1 "Affliction: Trilogy" card, Fedor Emelianenko's manager, Vadim Finkelchtein, wants his client to fight Strikeforce heavyweight Brett Rogers instead.

Emelianenko himself doesn't really care which opponent he ends up fighting.

The duo appeared earlier today at a press conference in Moscow to discuss Emelianenko's upcoming fight and even the possibility of the Russian fighter signing with the UFC.

Barnett was pulled from "Trilogy" card on Wednesday after failing a drug test. The test, which was part of Barnett's license renewal in the state of California, detected metabolites from an anabolic steroid.

Since Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio confirmed the failed test and Barnett's removal from the card, a host of potential replacements has been discussed. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported on Wednesday that middleweight Vitor Belfort had agreed to the fight and was working on financial terms of the deal. A Strikeforce official told MMAjunkie.com that their heavyweights, Fabricio Werdum (scheduled to fight on Aug. 15) and Rogers, will not be made available.

However, Rogers is the guy Finkelchtein wants.

"Everyone in the world now wants to see the fight of Fedor, not Barnett," Finkelchtein said (via M-1Global.com). "People want to see Fedor fight. Belfort can make heavyweight, but the fans don't want this fight. Fedor isn't seeking an easy fight. If logistics weren't an issue, we'd like to see Fedor fight against Brett Rogers. Fans want it, (and) so do we.”

As for Emelianenko, he's willing to fight anyone.

"I feel disappointed about this situation," he said. "But I will fight anyone who Affliction puts in front of me. I know a lot of fans waited for this fight to happen, and I am sorry for them. I can't do much about it now, but I am in good shape. My training has been good and continues to go well."

Finkelchtein, who confirmed Belfort had agreed to the fight in principle, said an official announcement regarding the eventual choice of opponent should be made today.

Fedor to the UFC?
During the press conference, Finkelchtein also addressed speculation about Emelianenko possibly joining the UFC's roster of heavyweights.

After UFC 100, UFC president Dana White spoke definitively and said Emelianenko would soon be fighting for his organization.

Finkelchtein said his client can fight anywhere, but he again hinted the UFC's contract demands are too restrictive, which is the same issue that's kept a deal from coming to fruition countless times in the past.

"We are open to any offer," Finkelchtein said. "The issue really is with the UFC, not with us. We are ready to fight the UFC champions."

However, the M-1 Global owner and president cautioned that the UFC isn't the end all and be all for heavyweight talent.

"The UFC's roster is occupied by a vast majority of American athletes," Finkelchtein said. "Not every single best fighter is under their banner, so don't believe the hype. There is no real international diversity that's anywhere close to what we're doing with our M-1 Challenge concept."

Feb 7, 2006
Jeff Monson: "My name's in the mix" for Affliction fight with Fedor Emelianenko

Add another name to the list of potential "Affliction: Trilogy" opponents for Fedor Emelianenko (30-1), who lost original opponent Josh Barnett (24-5) on Wednesday because of a failed drug test.

Former top UFC heavyweight contender Jeff Monson (31-8) today joined MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) and said he's under consideration for the open slot on the Aug. 1 card.

"My name's in the mix to fight Fedor," Monson said.

Emelianenko's fight headlines Affliction's third show, which takes place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., and airs on pay-per-view.

MMAjunkie.com reported on Wednesday that middleweight Vitor Belfort, currently slated to fight Jorge Santiago on the "Trilogy" main card, has agreed to the fight with Emelianenko, assuming financial terms can be agreed upon. Trainer Shawn Tompkins has even go as far as saying Belfort has signed for the fight, though no official announcement has been made.

However, earlier today at a press conference in Moscow, Vadim Finkelchtein, M-1 Global president and Emelianenko's manager, said they would rather the Russian fighter take on Strikeforce heavyweight Brett Rogers. (However, Strikeforce executive Mike Afromowitz told MMAjunkie.com on Wednesday that neither Rogers nor fellow Strikeforce heavyweight Fabricio Werdum would be loaned out for the Affliction fight.)

So how serious are Affliction's discussions with Monson?

"I'm not really supposed to say," Monson said. "I can say [it] is more than just me saying, 'I want to fight him,' though."

Monson, an accomplished grappler and ground technician, is perhaps best remembered for his loss to then-UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia at UFC 65 in 2006. However, the American Top Team fighter is 9-2 since the loss, and he's currently riding a seven-fight win streak (with wins over notables such as Roy Nelson and Sergei Kharitonov).

"I think my best strengths are maybe not his strengths," Monson said of Emelianenko. "It'd be a tough match, but I think it's a fight I can win.

"(With the fight) nine days away, I'm ready to fight. I don't know if anyone is ever really, really ready. But here at American Top Team, I'll have a good game plan and be ready to go."

One factor that could make Monson a serious option is that he's apparently willing to take a payday that's smaller than most other fighters are reportedly requesting. The going rate to fight Emelianenko is said to be between $600,000 and $1 million. Monson wouldn't talk specific amounts, but he's willing to take a smaller payday now for the possibility of a bigger one in the future.

"I've never been about the money," the 38-year-old said. "I just like to fight. I'm a fighter. It's what I do for a living. More (money) is better, of course. I have kids. But I just want to fight. If you win and beat Fedor, you never have to worry about it (money) again."

And Monson is confident those big days would be right around the corner.

"I see me choking him," Monson said. "I see me winning. You've got to get him on the floor, that's for sure. ... And that's where I'd end it."

Feb 7, 2006
Fedor Emelianenko's camp: Affliction's demise opens UFC's door – if terms are right

It's a years-old discussion, and one that is at times maddening.

Widely regarded as the world's top heavyweight fighter, Fedor Emelinanko has proven to be the one commodity the UFC hasn't been able to land, and the strained relations between UFC president Dana White and the Russian's management have often been anything but amicable.

But with the collapse of Emelianenko's recent fighting home, Affliction Entertainment, his manager, Vadim Finkelchtein, says negotiations with the UFC are again underway.

"This the moment of truth that the UFC has talked about," Finkelchtein stated in a recent release issued by his company, M-1 Global. "Fedor and I are here in the States. If they want to come out and fly here, we are ready to conduct negotiations."

With M-1 Global's recent announcement of the Aug. 28 event, "M-1 Breakthrough," many MMA observers have speculated Emelianenko may appear on the company's first edition of the "new premium fight series."

Finkelchtein said his fighter is looking at a number of options.

"We are now with Fedor in the U.S., and we hope to make a decision about his next fight within the next few days," Finkelchtein stated. "There are many business meetings and negotiations planned with all the major promotions. We will explore the possibility of Fedor fighting (Josh) Barnett and will even look into whether the fight can take place as soon as August (since Barnett has not been suspended)."

While the excitement surrounding the long-awaited matchup between Emelianenko and Barnett certainly took a step back with "The Babyfaced Assassin's" recent positive drug test result, it would still be a bout between two of the world's best heavyweights. But with Brock Lesnar's impressive win at UFC 100 and White's apparent commitment to bringing the Russian into his organization, fans will most certainly be clamoring for Emelianenko to sign with the UFC.

While Finkelchtein's latest statement seems to lend some hope for that result, the terms of a potential contract may still prove impossible for the UFC to consider.

"Of course, it still doesn't imply we are ready to accept any conditions they'll throw at us," Finkelchtein said. "We want to talk to the UFC about having Fedor compete against some of their fighters, but only within the framework of co-promotional efforts with M-1 Global."