Resolved (Documentary 2007)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 27, 2009
Resolved

IMDB said:
The fascinating complexity of high school debate gives way to a portrait of the equally complex racial and class bias of American education in Greg Whiteley's riveting documentary. Initially a portrait of top-flight debaters from well-funded, mostly white schools-like nationally ranked Sam Iola and Matt Andrews of Highland Park, Texas-the film deepens when it changes focus to Richard Funches and Louis Blackwell from Long Beach's Jordan squad. While gifted traditional debaters in their own right, the two decide to challenge the usefulness of the jargon-filled, 400-word-per-minute style of modern debate (known as "the spread") by steering their debates toward issues of personal experience and dialogue...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1068161/

I'll be the first to admit that the thought of a documentary about high school debate sounded boring as fuck. The reviews and score on IMDB looked good so I decided to check it out. I'm glad I did. This is probably the best documentary I've seen this year.

Here's a clip.

Doxx

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
strivin.com
I'll be the first to admit that the thought of a documentary about high school debate sounded boring as fuck.
I love watching documentaries that seem like they'll be boring. They usually turn out interesting.

Shit, I watched one a month or two ago called Wordplay that was all about crossword puzzles, the people who create them and the people who compete in crossword puzzle tournaments.

I enjoyed the hell out of it and learned some stuff. But I'm a nerd so...

May 27, 2009
A lot of those kids look and sound like they are having seizures lol.
The crazy thing is that the people involved (judges and opposing team) have to comprehend what's being said and present arguments, etc.

In my mind, I had an idea of what high school debate was like. My mental image was nothing like this. Weird shit.