Kube 93.3

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2002
www.psurecords.com
I was ridin yesterday and was listenin to kube. They were playin some cuts.. I really like what the DJ's are doin down there recently. So i thought we should have a thread showin our love. They are the best station in the NW. They support our local artists which cant be said for many stations. They are cool as fuck.

Apr 25, 2002
THA_206 said:
I was ridin yesterday and was listenin to kube. They were playin some cuts.. I really like what the DJ's are doin down there recently. So i thought we should have a thread showin our love. They are the best station in the NW. They support our local artists which cant be said for many stations. They are cool as fuck.
You better be being sarcastic.

i was gonna say the same shit. i aint hatin on kube by any means. they are our (local labels) pretty much only mainstream avenue of exposure, but they havent supported the northwest scene very much. so a few cats have made regular rotation but i dont seem em at any shows, covering events or nothin. but i think cats like neema, mr dog, slr, ourselves, and numerous others have been opening the doors for this damn station to finally recognize what the fuk is really goin on in this area. i dont know about them bein "cool as fuck" though.

Notes

Sicc OG
May 2, 2002
www.streetlevelrecords.com
I can't hate on KUBE because I know that it's more politics involved than I can even begin to imagine, but damn!! I just wish they would show a little more support to local artists. But on the other hand, local artists need to get out there and work harder too. It goes both ways. I'm personally tired of hearing Ja Rule and LL Cool J and want to hear more Cool Nutz, D.O.G., and everyone else that's local. just my 206 cents

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
I can understand not playing the new single of every no-name artist or label that pops up for 12 seconds to get their fifteen minutes of fame....what i DONT understand is not playing tracks from artists that have BEEN around, HAVE been and are CURRENTLY doing shows, etc.

Politics only goes so far before integrity takes over..and a lot of the people that work there are spineless, or even just dont care, when it comes to breaking new music.

I think what the station needs is more DJs that actually LISTEN to and STUDY urbanhip-hop music, instead DJs that just TALK about urban/hip-hop music. Some of those DJs sound like fucking Nsync and BSB worshippers, and it irritates the fuck out of me!

But back to my main point.."Politics" only go so far, and also, is the VERY FIRST card that a nonsupportive DJ is gonna pull out of his or her respective ass after they play the same 5 songs on repeat for 3 hours!

Apr 25, 2002
tadou said:
I can understand not playing the new single of every no-name artist or label that pops up for 12 seconds to get their fifteen minutes of fame....what i DONT understand is not playing tracks from artists that have BEEN around, HAVE been and are CURRENTLY doing shows, etc.

Politics only goes so far before integrity takes over..and a lot of the people that work there are spineless, or even just dont care, when it comes to breaking new music.

I think what the station needs is more DJs that actually LISTEN to and STUDY urbanhip-hop music, instead DJs that just TALK about urban/hip-hop music. Some of those DJs sound like fucking Nsync and BSB worshippers, and it irritates the fuck out of me!

But back to my main point.."Politics" only go so far, and also, is the VERY FIRST card that a nonsupportive DJ is gonna pull out of his or her respective ass after they play the same 5 songs on repeat for 3 hours!
Very well put Tadou.

May 15, 2002
www.psurecords.com
I think this thread has opened good conversation and hopefully a DJ will get a chance to read it and see how it is. However.. Im nothing to you now.. meaning i dont have a cd out yet. On the other hand ive been on kube and got props.. a girl i kick it with called me up and 3 wayed them and i spit a flow and they immediatly aired it.. They showed me hella love.. I feal the same way you do tho.. They act like its gotta be on mtv 10,000 times before they play it.. Its supposed to start with them. And they cant act like were 2 hardcore for mainstream beacuse they used to play dr dre and snoop dog all the time. I know $crilla makes this world go round and theres no limits to what you can achieve with that on your team. A lot of artists are workin with low scrilla and cant kick open doors and set off what there looking for.

If you go to the EMP and watch the bob marley video. You will see the manager say they would go to the station and basically tell the dj to play the damn song or have problems. It dosent work that way now days but the ethics can still exist. Also the EMP dosent have any label sponsered in it. No Street Level No Bow WOW No Nema.. theres only Kirt Kobain so i know theres not enough work put in placing media behind the label.. Theres got to be attention GOT before ya open doors to the SPOT! feal that?

*Oh yea and before the next best album gets thrown into a dusty closet with minimal sales i really prey for our community of production and tallent that the person leading the way has a real muthafuckin business plan thats followed though every step by step of the way,,, 4 real that way while on top there can be support for the less recognized.*

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
Since i feel like being an ass...

For those of us that dont know it, there is no major radio station in Kurt Cobain's hometown of--*ahem ahem*--Aberdeen. But somehow, he managed to get play on every major station in the region, take the NorthWest rock scene to a new level, and ultimately, reach nationwide status. Now, im not saying the NW hip-hop messiah will come from--*ahem*--Aberdeen. What i am saying is, it doesnt matter WHAT town you are from if your music is good, and Cobain proved this!

Now, money only goes so far; who you know only goes so far as well. People think once they have money and influence that they can do anything, and that just isnt the case. There's money, power, and respect....but there's also something ABOVE those 3, and if you cant figure out what it is, i wont tell you. With this ____, you COMMAND everything you deserve, and are able to get the things you want easier than the same person who's been doin it day-in, day-out for the last 10 years. _____ separates the 2. (And no, ____ isnt an invisible or non-existant word, and im not just fucking around. It really is a word, but if you dont already know it, you never will; and if you knew it, then you would also know why i explain it as such.)

i wont say what it is, but i WILL say what its NOT: talent, popularity, guidance, tenure, experience, knowledge, energy, work ethic....NONE OF THOSE!! A 10-year vet can have every single one of those, and STILL not get any radio play or an above-average amount of exposure. As an artist, you either have it, or you dont; its unfair, but true. And nearly 90% of artists DONT have it. I dont care how nice, how pleasant, how hard-working, how experienced they are; none of that matters. Its something that you're born with, and if you dont understand how to develop it and sustain it, you wont be shit without it.

On the philosophical tip...look at your hand. 5 digits--4 fingers and 1 thumb; the thumb is the unknown, the question, the variable. Now, a pyramid is 5-sided--4 triangles and 1 square. There's one, the other, both, neither, or either/?; ok, but, and, or, nor; and i could go on. The point is, this ____ (ill call it 'it' from now on) is a 5th 'dimension' sort of thing; you cant explain it, but if you have it, you know it, and if you dont have it, then only someone that has it can tell you you dont have it.

Alright, im rambling now...but the point is, every artist that ever makes it big has 1 major reason (underlying their musical recordings) why they became popular; MOST (but not all) successful persons you can name--Tupac (but not Snoop), Biggie (but not puff), Jay-Z (but not Nas), Suge Knight (but not Dre)--have 'it'. You can talk to someone, and know 'it'; you FEEL 'it'. You remember 'it', and wish you could be a part of 'it'. Its sorta like in the hood, where you can look into someone's eyes and tell if they're "real", but real isnt the word im looking for; its more specific than that. Its what separates a sack from a cake, a bag from a lick, and a teacher from a student...

As i look around this rap scene (and i dont mean to sound all-knowing when i say this), i only see a VERY SMALL handfull of artists/ceo's/producers with 'it'. VERY FEW!! (Reminder: 'it' does NOT = talent or potential). D-Sane is working on 'it'; Greedy BD & Red Headed Steve are EXTREMELY close; Livio, Neema & YoungVicious are the closest i've seen. I wont name any 'doesn't's, but yes, i have just racked my mind and thought of all the top NW artists, and they didnt make the list...

I'm REALLY rambling now, and im probably off the subject too...but...if anyone feels like responding to this--LOGICALLY, WISELY, INTUITIVELY--then by all means, do so, and ill tell you if you've got it down or not...put what you think about me personally aside, and analyze this, paragraph-by-paragraph....im curious as to if anybody can figure out what i mean by 'it', and if they can fill in the blank correctly....

enjoy

May 15, 2002
www.psurecords.com
The 1st 3 that came to mind was intelligence karisma and insight.. Basically you were stating artists locally that have "It" Theres a lot.. A lot of artists that have what it takes. Matterfact D-sane is the creator of it.. Every cd he's produced is a great work of art highly anticipated by the public, Thats no bullshit... Look at this board.. Look at the Mp3 download stats.. look at all the artists craving beats like drugs... Its serious.. But that dosent mean their better then everybody... Theres a lot of Artists doin the same shit all over but nothing hitting the RADIO hard enough to spark national attention..

Reason 1.. Business plan faulty.. Team work not co-op and falls through.. Theres a way to do it just nobody has sat at a table with people that know how its done yet and figured out the rubix cube..Play the pieces to the puzzle together until you create one picture.. then remember the vision together... and no matter what stands in the way or what happens you get it together..(MORE...)

Reason 2.. Faulty work ethic.. We have a high rate of UN- employment in the NW and some fucked up cops that harass people constantly and sure enough were takin piss tests for 7 years until we aint gonna give a fuck.. aint gonna be the lab rat no more and get heated.. so jail time sets shit apart.. Or someone expects something for nothing.. Never forget music is a business not your hobby and your work ethic will strike harder.

Reason 3.. Who is responsible for promotion?
Generally, distributors look to the labels to provide most of the promotion directed toward the consumer. This includes getting the records on radio, national advertising, publicity to print and other media. The object is to get people to go to their local record store looking to buy titles on your label.

They didnt do this... like i said in my last post.. You gotta do 3 or your gonna get a box of cd in your closet collecting dust beacuse the market isnt finding you... you gotta make your business the market.. That means swamping the public right before the album drops.. until then projects of cd's should be kept stealth like record label secret weappons.. its always smart to drop your cd at specific times as well.. be nice to your fellow producers and save them some chips..

Anywayz thats a great business start....

Im fuckin done...

Good Luck

:cool:

May 15, 2002
www.psurecords.com
Oh yea... for the record.. I always make cd's and always ride 2 them.. just the one time i took the accord out instead of the low truck i had to listen to the radio and it was actually coo all tha way thru.. My truck has the system the car dosent..

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
The first thing that i took out of your last comments was a disgust with taking urinalyses. Without discussing legal matters...if artists themselves believe they cannot be great without illegal intoxicants, why should consumers believe differently? Though it hasnt been proven, the universal belief is that the majority of hip-hop music is purchased by caucasians of middle-to-upper class status. Now, what makes it so impossible for a rapper to relate to them on a PERSONAL level without using a vehicle such as Anger (Eminem) or Struggle (2pac)? This is where 'it' comes in.

Business is important, but isnt the most important thing when it comes to, in effect, selling 'artwork'. The thing thats most important, especially when you are attempting to relate to others, is to embody an 'ideal' that the majority can relate to. With Tupiac, his 'it' was struggle; with Biggie, it was opulence; with Cash Money, it was security/success. Essentially, what i am talking about is a personality trait that 50 years of business experience could NEVER teach you; insight was VERY VERY CLOSE, but not quite. It is a tad bit more specific than that...(hint: 'sight'/eyes/vision/etc. was VERY close!!)

The following is a list of what i think to be the 5 cornerstones of any successful artist: Creativity; Recognition (Memory); Articulance(being well-spoken); Potential (Talent); ? = _____ --- Is it all a load of CRAP?, or does this make sense?

Some artists have 4 of these, but not the fifth; the thumb, the "either", the "or", the ?; Consider this: Here (1), There (2), Everywhere (1&2), Nowhere (not 1 nor 2), and Anywhere (1or2). The first 4 are definate, but the 5th one is uncertain...this is why people who dont have 'it' dont even realize. Also consider: Computers are binary--0 (off) and 1 (on); yet, humans are able to think independantly--again, think 5: one, other, both, neither, either...there is no other possibilities! Now, according to the bible, 7 is the number of completion, yet, using my philosophy, you cannot get 2 more options. Could this possibly explain why religion itself will not EVER be universally acceptable or defined?(Strange shit to think about...it's even more eye-opening if you hear it as i explain it to you in words, right in front of you...)

The summary is like this (allow me to think in abstract terms for a second): artists believe that once they have 4, they'll be complete; however, think about what the fifth element actually means: the unknown! If your album doesnt sell, and you dont know the reason, then chances are, it was because of 'it'! If someone asks you "Did the red dog cross the road?" the answers could be: 1) Yes ("Yes, he did")--if you know for a fact the dog crossed the road.; 2) No ("No, he didnt"--if you know for a fact the dog did not cross the road.; 3) True and False ("He might have")--if you think its possible that the dog crossed the road.; 4) Neither True nor False--The dog is blue, not red.; 5) True or False ("I dont know")--you dont know if he did or didnt.

If that didnt help, think in terms of height (this, that, and, nor, or); for example, "What is Shelly's height?": Tall; Short; Average ("Tall and Short"); Undetermined ("Its open to debate"); I Dont Know ("I havent seen her") -- note the difference between the 4th and 5th.

There's also the concept of amounts, which breaks down like: 100 (and), 75/25 (yes/no), 50 (or), 0 (nor); it breaks down into fifths. (interestingly enough, broken into increments 25, which is 5 x 5 :classic: ); so its like..: To be smart is to know "75"; to be stupid is to know only "25"; BUT, to be "100" (Genius) is to know BOTH how smart AND stupid people think!; To be average is to be "50"; and to be "0" is to know nothing, OR, what SEEMS TO BE nothing, a.k.a. "it", a.k.a. the unknown, etc... (which explains why some of you think im looney as hell for even typing all this out!!)

Alright, i just shared about 2 years of research with yall.....use it wisely....and seriously, think about that shit: 5 toes; 5 pillars of islam; 5 different 5-sided pyramids that people spent THOUSANDS of years to make, and most died trying! Now, as the 'link' between Africa and Asia, think about the power that Egyptians (2, both, and, all, Africasians, etc!) had back in ancient times...If that doesnt work, stare at your hand for a good 3-5 minutes, and try to figure out why you have 2 eyes, but 5 fingers. Ill leave you with this...

If you're attempting to get past a mountain, you have 5 options: 1) go over it, 2) go under it, 3/and) go through it, 4/nor) go around it, or 5) ....? How the fuck am i supposed to know :)

May 15, 2002
www.psurecords.com
Xibit is part of the Alcolholic family.. I respect him and his music & its just a way of life.. The mafia didnt go through probition 4 so we could be all cool and drink cool aid..
Yes unfortuinatly majority of us have made mistakes and have sacraficed our freedom to piss in test cups and visit PBO's..I myself have lost over $5,000 to court and restitution last year alone. Mark my words im setting an example for myself and friends to stay focoused on business not fuckin with stupid shit.. its really hard beacuse when drama happens usually instinct follows and then poliece fuck us up.. About the rest of your post i really cant relate to you.. It appears from what ive seen that you possiable smoked crack tonight and started typing away.. I would just like you to analyze this post and then take a look at yourself in the mirror... learn to grow up and be a man.. Dont talk about stupid shit and expect people to understand your reason.. I visit this board when im finished workin or need a break.. To see what the artists and producers are workin with, I guess i have to accept its the internet and accept the bullshit and usless conversations such as the one thats developed beacuse of "it" (thats what we'll refer it as) "It" hasent learned how to be a real man and makes it difficult to visit this board and see any real talk. you have a lot of good ideas and im not tryin to have a thread with internet drama beacuse its useless.. i just want to share a few mortal thoughts with you.. life is far more dangerous then the tv shows you may choose to watch or the rap music you imitate then start writing.. Its real it is no game,, so please act like it. Do not concern your self with small talk and be responcible enough to speak with the education your proclaiming. i dont know where you get these thoughts of intelligence from but honestly 1 out of 100 was good.. But i can tell you speak like youve been shielded from anything related to the hood. The pain in the streets would be like your mom taking your internet away... :confused: So learn something real quick.. You have a strong ambition for the rap music and its aberdeen culture so please respect the urban cultures as well.. We kinda do things a diffrent way and its for a reason. Civilization is about survival of the fittest. Dog you are not gonna survive the way your going.. You will get ate up very quick.. Please think before you do, and think before you speak.. And quit stayin up smokin tweak.. (if that applies) Please be more professional when speaking about business relations.. If your thoughts are always running off and wandering kills this board... But then agian what should i expect form the internet.. Just respect street level enough to make their board a good representation of them.. not one of you... Thats all i can say beacuse the better longer verson was erased it took awhile to type and wouldent post..

May 15, 2002
www.psurecords.com
Notes said:
I just wish they would show a little more support to local artists. But on the other hand, local artists need to get out there and work harder too.
This is real... this business is exactly what you make it.. Nothin more nothin less. I feal you when you said artists gotta work as hard as the stations.. the DJ has to get your song passed through the company before he can play it.. meaning he has to proove your work history and public responce.

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
I dont know exactly what the hell you're trying to say...but you're not as accurate as you would have yourself believe.

If the streets are real, then i assume college is also "real"; when it comes to college, i am taking 20 credits; full-time is reguarded as 12 credits, which means i am taking 8 credits, or 66% more classes than about 80% of other people going to college are. You want to talk about intelligence, and how i handle things? How's this for handling: On friday, i have 2 separate tests in Spanish and in Latin. Do i seem anxious? Of course not. Tadou est iucundus et suaviter cantat. El padre de mi amigo se llama Roberto. Blah blah blah.

If you cant read that info about '5' and 'it', and understand it, then that is the reason you are where you are--take that how you want it, but you seem to be frustrated, and i myself, am not anywhere CLOSE to frustration. Im 100% content with where i am right now, ESPECIALLY when it comes to my rap HOBBY. Some people would have others believe that for one to be successful as a rapper that one must make a full-time committment to his art, which simply isnt the case. (Side note: If talking like an educated person means i smoke tweak, then yes, i have been up for 973 straight days and have no plans of going to sleep) Rap music is all about CONCENTRATION and EFFICIENCY; an example of that is, for one, the Hot Boys recording their album "Guerrilla Warfare" in less than 7 days. The album went platinum, which is an attestment to not requiring yourself to memorize every single rhyme you ever drop.

As for you saying i talk and act like i'm "shielded"--how is that so? Because, based on my English skills alone, i could get an entry-level job at over $12 per hour? Because i dont try to come off as some supreme "G" on the net by restricting my commentary to what i think others would view as "necessary"?

I dont know what you mean to say by inferring that i am misrepresenting Street Level Records and their respective forum, but i take offense at such a derogatory notion; I am of the opinion that i am one of the most profound and logical thinkers to frequent this board, and i do not appreciate having my philosophical thought processes disreguarded as "speaking like (ive) been shielded from anything related to the hood"; what role does "the hood" have in reguards to rational discourse, or more specifically, the lack of exposure for NorthWest artists, in relation to lack of media outlets and periodical coverage (newsprint)?

One, Other, Both, Neither, Either; OK, But, And, Or, Nor; Here, There, Everywhere, Nowhere, Anywhere---You mean to tell me that these PROFOUND coincodinces are merely a side-effect of crack-cocaine, and not, in fact, the result of hours of careful consideration and insight? That is just ludicrous, and if i may add, iconoclastic. (And no, i dont have a thesaurus in hand while i type. This is all from off top)

I dont mean to start an arguement by this....but any educated person can CLEARLY see who, between us, posesses the most business expertise and has the better marketing skills. This is not an attack on your personally, but is my way of saying this: If you cant go to a public library, for example, and sell your CD to someone you've never met before, based on the strength of your negotiating ability, then you will never on the equivalent you need to be at to take the NorthWest to the next level.

As for "Dog you are not gonna survive the way your going"...if speaking English, Spanish, Latin, Portugese, Italian, French and German by my 25th birthday (as well as emceeing, production, dj'ing, management, finance, accounting & marketing knowledge) isnt enough to get me a respectable position in the hip-hop community.....then i will officially call it quits. You heard it here first! :confused:

Jan 28, 2005
The "It" is image, isn't it? 99% of all musicians in the world do not have it, image is the most underrated part of a rapper. It's something most people are born with, I'm not talkin about cool, ugly, type image, just their aura. I knew the minute you put the blank there Tadou. I think that almost 100% of rapper in the NW don't have, though he hasn't been very commercial as of late, Sir Mix A Lot still has it and proved his success, but I don't think he knows what to do with it anymore.