Improving a "Home studio"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
is it more important to keep the sound inside the booth in? or the sound outside out?
This solely depends on what your recording needs are but most booths, if built right, will do a combination of the two. If you need isolation so you won't disturb neighbors, sleeping kids, etc you want to keep the sound inside. If you suffer from a lot of outside noise like noisy kids, traffic, etc, that bleeds into your recordings, you want to keep the outside noise out.

ive already had 2 different houses and both times the booths were in a closet now im hoping we build a studio in the garage..do u kno anything about the layout of a booth?
You'll find the best info here.

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

i kno the walls shouldnt b square..like it should have 5 walls instead of for or wat not..im not sure how to word it...
You can have four walls, you don't want walls/sides that are multiples of each other.

and im also thing about buying a portable booth off vocalbooth.com any word on those?
I looked at them for an amp enclosure thats about it. For the price their charging you will be able to build it on your own, or hire a carpenter, and still save some money.

But before you shell out any money, go to the link I gave you and read the information posted on the forums.

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
I don't really record alot of vocals but I heard alot of good stuff about those reflection filters out there, i heard they make a big difference if you don't have a booth.
Those reflection filters are legit. I put the mic in the middle of the room with the filter behind it, and it definitely helps. The natural reverb is there, but it's just the right amount.

Also, to the cat who posted this thread, microphones really depend on the vocalist. Some mics or good for singers, some good for rappers, some good to capture bass vocals, and some good to capture a higher pitch. It depends on what you're recording. For example, Michael Jackson used an SM57 on Billie Jean, and it came out RAW. I used an SM57 for one of my songs and it sucked because it didn't capture the true sound of my voice. However, the SM57 recorded my boy well because he has a higher pitch than I do.

It depends on who's recording, where they're recording, matching a mic with a voice, and what you know about mixing vocals.

Oh, and those vocal booths are garbage. Go to a studio and they won't put you in a box with foam...they'll put you in a vocal room with some foam strategically placed (if that), or acoustic tile. Many studios are built from the ground up, so they don't have to be "treated"...they are built for recording. A vocal booth muffles the shit out of vocals.