high output alternators

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 24, 2003
just wondering if anybody has upgraded to a high output alternator

what brand did you get? what amperage? what are you pushing with it?

im about to purchase a 260 amp alternator that has about 200 amps at idle to push just a 500/1 jl mono amp and 4x8"JL subs. later im going to add some 4x6 and 6x9 speakers and maybe another 500/1 or some kind of amp thats something like 100-150RMS x4 to push them.

my stock 120amp alternator isnt enough to handle all of my electrical + aftermarket system and i thikn 1000 watts rms adds about 80 amps to the draw, so im not able to beat yet without draining my battery and ruining my old alternator until i get this new one and put it in

anyway, i was just wondreing if others have added one. i dont know how theres jackasses rolling around in shitty rice burners with 80amp alternators trying to push 2000 watts of 2 kicker 12l7's or some shit, lol, i had a shitton of probs just pulling 500 watts rms and ruined my alternator. are these ppl rolling around wtih 5 batteries in their trunk? and how the fuck would one shitty alternator keep all of them charged?

anyway

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
Check out the table on the bottom left it 1000w RMS should draw about 160A but that might be conservative. The math would be 1000w/14V=71A they are assuming about 45% efficiency.

I don't have any experience with a high output alternator but it sounds like that one is the perfect size. I had to replace the alternator in my car and it was the same price to go from 80A to 140A so I just put the bigger one in and it was a good thing I did because my brother just picked up a JL 12w6v1 that he is going to give me, it should sound really nice.

Aug 24, 2003
:eyecross::confused:

I dont see the table you are talking about but I find that "they are assuming 45% efficiency" thing very interesting. what exactly does that mean? are you talking about ohm or whatever at this point, the current draw? i really have to read up on my electrical stuff but if im remembering correctly subs wired at 4ohm will draw twice as much electricity as 2ohm right? lower ohm is more efficiency so its actually drawing half as much as if it were wired to 4? :confused: lol im confusing myself

anyway i ordered the 260amp iraggi amputator from Dominick Iraggi, sent payment a couple days ago but havent heard back from him. hopefully hes getting it all ready cause i want to get this thing in asap.

also how the hell do you do an amperage test on your alternator? i cant see any scenario where you can test the amperage without putting a load on the system and measuring the current from the alternator positive to battery. voltage test is very simple but amperage test hmm

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
Sorry this is the link:
http://www.the12volt.com/wiring/recwirsz.asp

Usually you can assume that an amp is about 50% efficient to be on the safe side, meaning it draws 2x the current that it uses. So if you calculate the current draw 1000Watts/14Volts = 71Amps. You use 1000W since that is the output of your amps and 14 volts because that is the operating voltage (really around 12.5V to 14.5V). So your amps use 71A to create that power but they are not 100% efficient they lose power to heat so to produce 1000W they actually use more than 71A depending on how efficient the amp is. In the chart I posted it seems like they are using somewhere around 40-50% efficiency.

For measuring the output of the alternator I had trouble figuring that out when my alternator went out. From the shop manual (the one the dealer uses) of one of my cars it says to measure it with an ammeter but a typical multimeter only goes up to 10A DC, apparently they have ammeters that measure high enough but they are really expensive. Your best bet might be to contact a local alternator shop that builds high output or rebuilds alternators and they might be able to help you with that.

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
Also if you want to check that the alternator can keep up with your system once you get it installed just measure the voltage while you have everything on (lights, ac, system...) and the voltage should not dip below about 13V.

Aug 24, 2003
thanks for the info

yeah i know how to test the voltage..

my alternator is supposed to be here on Dec 3rd.. i got my 1/0 wire ready to go with all the terminals and everything... lol i cant wait

going to bolt that baby in there with the new wiring (big 3 upgrade) make sure its all good to go make sure my votlage isnt dropping with everything on and get to bumping again

feels so wrong trying to bump a song with just stock speakers... fucking lame not having bass. now i just need to get some speakers an amp to drive them and ill be losing my hearing in no time

Aug 24, 2003
dunno i had them hooked up before so its not techincally the first but its going to be the first that they have the appropriate power for a sustained time. im going to bolt everything in whenever my friend drops by with his voltage meter tester later on

i want to use something bass heavy thatll help me test my voltage levels when its hitting low and long, i think throw it up chopped and screwed is a good one or young jeezy hypnotize

im definitely not going to be beating up the block or setting off alarms but it should still rattle my trunk and mirrors and all taht shit

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
turns out the wiring harness on the alternator was different, i couldnt get it wired properly.

so buyer beware on anybody trying to buy an after market high output alternator, that shit is expensive, make sure its going to go in there easy with no problems if youre doing it yourself. or make sure you got a guy who knows what hes doing.

it was an awesome experience learning all that shit, but ultimately my cadillac had to get junked cause i think there were other electrical problems as well, not to mention leaking windows and other shit that goes with an old car that i didnt have the motivation or time to fix.

oh well, live and learn!