Ex-Marine accused of gunning down neighbour whose puppy peed on award-winning lawn

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mac Jesus

Girls send me your nudes
May 31, 2003
http://www.smh.com.au/world/exmarin...-peed-on-awardwinning-lawn-20100512-uw7w.html

A retired former US Marine is being held on a $US3 million ($3.4 million) bond, accused of gunning down a neighbour whose puppy allegedly urinated on the man's well-manicured grass.

Charles Clements, 69, of University Park routinely wins the Chicago suburb's beautification and lawn upkeep award but is also known for threatening children or adults who dare set foot in his yard, neighbours said.

On Sunday night, Joshua Funches, a 23-year-old father of two, was walking his fox terrier Gucci when the dog lifted its leg and urinated on Mr Clements's lawn, said Mr Funches's mother, Patricia, 53.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The two men began arguing and, at some point, Mr Clements, a retired bus driver, pulled out a pistol and pointed it at Mr Funches, said Will County assistant state's attorney Sondra Denmark.

Witnesses said Mr Funches then said to Mr Clements: "Next time you pull out a pistol, why don't you use it?" Ms Denmark said.

At that point, witnesses said they saw orange and white light and heard a loud noise. They saw Mr Funches fall to the ground.

"It was all over a little wooden plaque," said an emotional Patricia Funches, referring to the town's beautification award. "It was a senseless death. How can you take a life for a piece of wood?"

Mr Clements then walked home and changed his clothes. When University Park police arrived, they found the master landscaper in his garage with the door open.

"I knew you were coming for me," he told police, Ms Denmark said. "That's why I changed my clothes. I knew you were coming for me."

Neighbours were shocked that such deadly violence could have stemmed from a minor fight.

"It hurt me pretty bad to see a person killed over something so petty," said Joanne Byers, who lives across the street from where Mr Funches died.

Mr Funches's children were aged one and four and another was due to be born in August, his mother said.

Ms Byers said her own son had a run-in with Mr Clements, once accidentally stepping on the man's grass while walking and chatting on his mobile phone.

"Man, he popped out and called, 'Hey watch it - watch it!' " said Ms Byers.

Judge Marzell Richardson ordered Mr Clements, who has no criminal history, to be held in lieu of $3 million bond on Tuesday on first- and second-degree murder charges.

He noted that Mr Clements allegedly told his victim he would be found innocent if he was arrested.
If anyone's puppy did that shit to my lawn you can be sure i'd start a turf war and mow that muthafucker down.