Euclid councilman apologizes after urging city to seek whites

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 21, 2002
Sacramento, CA
- A rookie councilman was backpedaling yesterday after publicly promoting an idea that he said would attract "white people" to a suburb in racial transition.

At a council meeting Monday, Michael McTighe said private development of the city-owned Shore Cultural Centre into combined living and working quarters for professionals would draw "young yuppies, white people that the city wants to bring in here."

The remark, captured on cable television, elicited groans. He drew reprimands from several audience members, all white, including a woman who called on the 24-year-old councilman to mature or resign.

Council President Ed Gudenas interrupted to tell McTighe he owed some apologies. Mayor Paul Oyaski said the comment was "inappropriate and should be retracted."

Still, McTighe said he did not know he had offended anyone until he arrived home and his grandmother called.

He said he was questioning whether the council majority's other development efforts were geared to "white yuppies."

"It looked very bad. I'm deeply sorry," he said. "I don't want people to see me in that perspective. I was raised better than that."

McTighe dropped by City Hall yesterday to apologize to Administrative Director Jack Johnson. Johnson, who is black, stormed out of the meeting after McTighe's remark.

"I don't have any animosity toward Mr. McTighe," said Johnson, who oversees insurance, personnel and purchasing. "I don't think he maliciously made a racial statement, but I think it is symptomatic of an attitude that prevails in certain areas of this community."

Johnson said City Hall has been too slow to promote diversity and noted that Euclid has few black city employees.

He accused a council majority of emphasizing lakefront renewal that would attract the "white upper class."

Euclid's black population is growing and now represents 30 percent of the city's 52,000 residents. All of the city's elected officials are white.

What a dumbass.