Bun B of UGK? What do ya'll think of him?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 11, 2003
Broadbeach, AUSTRALIA
Personally I reckon he's fucking terrible. He spits wack lines in my opinion and his delivery is even worse. He sounds like he's cryin when he raps.

Pimp C is sooo fuckin dope tho, I reckon that Bun B always ruins it for Pimp C on almost every track.

For example..take that Pop The Trunk track by Celly Cel. Pimp C comes so damn hard first verse then Celly tears it up and Bun B comes and spits some weak shit last and fucks up the whole song.

Just my opinion, what do ya'll think.

Apr 25, 2002
I agree that Pimp C is better but Bun B is hard. No where near terrible.

You can't listen to some UGK shit and think hes terrible, I don't see how.

Feb 19, 2003
jay deuce said:
I agree that Pimp C is better but Bun B is hard. No where near terrible.

You can't listen to some UGK shit and think hes terrible, I don't see how.
Well, in terms of pure technical skills, Pimp C. is probably better than Bun B., but Bun can more than hold his own. For me, the main difference is in terms of vocal cadence--Bun B. can't rap as quickly as Pimp C., but his more slowly-flowing style works.
The fact that they're different from each other is what makes UGK work as a whole, IMHO. I'll never get tired of SUPER TIGHT or RIDIN' DIRTY...

PEACE!

Nov 10, 2002
WHAT?

YOU GUYS CAN'T BE SERIOUS

Bun B is one of the baddest muthafuckas ever to clutch the mic and comparing his rapping abilities to Pimp C's is a goddamn insult! Don't get it twisted though - Pimp C is funny as hell and I enjoy his raps but like some guy above me said that when it comes to 'technicality' he probably is the better rapper -- now that's 100% bullshit. He's FUNNY, his repetitiveness is funny, he has charisma and a good, distinctive voice but his rhymes are SIMPLE and his style has remained exactly the same throughout the years whereas BUN B has developed beyond measure and Ridin' Dirty is a prime example of that. Bun B comes soo tight on the mic with complex rhyme patterns and FLOWS and GREAT delivery. The two of them make up a great combination and have unbelieavable chemistry which in my opinion makes up UGK (one of my favorite groups ever btw)

Besides Bun B has versatility in both styles and subject matter, whether we're talkin straight up gangsta shit, story-tellin', deep, emotional shit... you name it. Bun B got it on lock.

"Bun B can't rap as quickly as Pimp C?" another uninformed statement

check out UGK - Murder or Jay-Z - Big Pimpin feat. UGK
Two examples from the top of my head that show that that bold statement holds no water

geeez

And in no way was this post written with the intention of downgrading Pimp C, just stating my opinion (the truth ;) )
I like Pimp C as much as everyone else and he is indeed a great producer in addition to being a charismatic rapper

peace

Apr 26, 2002
Pimp C is that shit but Bun b is too...he hasnt been the same since Pimp C got locked up ..he always speaking on it on all the new tracks..but you dont like him listen to that new T.I. he kills that verse and beat...

Apr 26, 2002
Bacc In Texas
FROM MTV.com

Most rap groups would be happy to have an album featuring Scarface, Too Short, 8Ball, E-40 and others in record stores. UGK aren't like most rap groups.

The Port Arthur, Texas, duo of Bun B and Pimp C are not pleased with Side Hustles, the UGK LP that was released last month by Jive Records, the group's longtime recording home.

"Side Hustles was basically an idea of the label's," Bun B said. "It was not a UGK idea. It was something that they tried to put together right quick. They were sitting on a few songs that they had already paid for and they felt they were sitting around on the product, so why not reissue it and make some clean cash?"

A Jive Records spokesperson did not return calls by press time.

Side Hustles contains a number of hard-to-find UGK collaborations that include songs they've done for other artists' albums or for soundtracks. Some of the material is old (the lyrics from "Cigarette" are about six years old) and some are newer (the "Dirty Dirty [Remix]" and "The Game" are from Mil's 2001 album, Street Scriptures).

By the way the album is packaged, however, Bun B is concerned that people might confuse it with a bona fide, full-fledged studio album from UGK (short for Underground Kings).

"It's not top-quality UGK. Not to say the songs aren't top quality, because everything we do is top notch, but I think it's giving people the impression that this is the fifth album by UGK and this is what Pimp and I sat down and put down to present to the public," Bun B said. "That's not what it is, and I wouldn't want people to get it twisted like that.

"Yes, there's good music on there and I'm proud of the songs that I've done. But, no I'm not proud of the way it was presented to the public," he continued. "UGK has a way of doing things. Those are all songs that we did with other people. I just want the public to know that that is not the follow-up to Dirty Money."

Dirty Money, the long-delayed fourth album from UGK, came out in 2001 but did not receive the push that an album from a group fresh from collaborating with Jay-Z on "Big Pimpin' " and Three 6 Mafia on "Sippin' on Some Syrup" would typically receive. Part of this lax promotion was the result of Pimp C's legal problems, a long-time hurdle for the group.

The charismatic rapper is now incarcerated on a probation violation, according to Bun B. Pimp C's legal team is fighting for his release and is in the middle of the appeal process.

"Hopefully we'll have him home in the next couple of months while the appeal process is going on so we can put together that fifth album that people need to hear, the right way," Bun B said.

As Bun B waits for Pimp C's legal problems to be resolved, he's working on his real side hustle, Mddl Fngz, a Houston rap group of which he is a member. The collective, whose follow-up to 2000's Live! From Da Manjah album is scheduled to arrive by the first part of 2003, represents a newer version of UGK.

"We're taking it back to a real rough, raw feel," Bun B said of Mddl Fngz. "It's nothing complicated, no complicated music or hooks. It's just raw, stripped-down music, the way music used to be done. It's music that feels right, not music that seems right or looks right because it was produced or presented this way.

"Too much of the music right now, the thought process is to what is going to be done after the music," Bun B continued. "How is the product going to be promoted? Who's going to be on the album? We're just trying to concentrate on making real music."

Pimp C's legal fate will determine the course of UGK's next album. Bun B said he hopes his partner in rhyme can make the Dirty Money follow-up with him, but that if Pimp C loses his appeal and has to serve a few years in prison, Bun B said he has enough material to make a real UGK album on his own.

A long-time underground favorite, UGK debuted in 1992 with Too Hard to Swallow. They later released what most Southern rap fans consider to be a classic with 1996's Ridin' Dirty. Their subsequent collaborations over the years solidified their position as one of the most respected rap groups in the South, even if their profile in the rap industry was lower than Craig Mack's after he left Bad Boy. Jay-Z, Three 6 Mafia, Scarface, Ludacris and others were big fans of the pair and have featured UGK on their own albums, showcasing Bun B and Pimp C's distinctive Southern street reportage.

"UGK is a 10-year legacy of representing the unseen, the unheard, the untold, the unspoken of the South," Bun B said. "We speak for those who don't have a voice down here. Those people want to be represented just like everybody else and that's what we do."

It's something UGK does regularly, including on Side Hustles. There, on "The Corruptor's Execution," they pay homage to legendary West Coast rap group Above the Law by reworking the crew's "Another Execution."

"We always wanted to do some Above the Law," Bun B said. "That's what we came up on, sh-- like Above the Law and DJ Quik, the Geto Boys. That was it for us. We want to bring OG n---as up every now and then. Cats be forgetting. Like WC, you've got to have respect for the OG.

"I always give love back, because those records meant a lot to me and that's why I'm doing what I do. Instead of building off the Isley Brothers or whatever, I can build off this old rap sh--. I'm respecting my elders."

I CANT SAY NOTHIN BADD ABOUT UGK...

but, they have never recieved the correct promotion for any of their albums.
Jive records still sleepin on them after all these years.

d-locc

Apr 26, 2002
good post d-locc...they wrong for saying there profilewas lower than Craig Macks on Badboy..but good as interview all in all...and yes Ridin Dirty is a classic!!!!