The REAL reason the West Coast died....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 25, 2003
I'm trippin on the fact everyone missed this...not even mentioned it yet...

Remember the first West Coast rappers to blow up? Who were they? NWA, Snoop Dogg, and Ice Cube right? Well, who came after them on the West Coast? Nobody.

Dre and Snoop's music fell off, Eminem came out, etc. Who did the Dre and Snoop camps try to put out? Knocturnal, Eastsidaz, etc.

More Southern Cali artists. All the LA rappers completely ignored the enormous talent coming out of the bay. Never did Dre or Snoop or anybody else down south try to get Richie Rich, E-40, 11/5, or anybody else in the spotlight. They basically treated North Cali artists like they didn't exist.

This shit continues...Remember "West Coast United"? Where LA rappers did tracks wit Daygo rappers? Do LA and San Diego represent all of CA hell nah. A real "United CD" would have had Northern Cali artists on it too.

Everybody from down south and LA basically ignored the talent in Northern Ca instead of trying to put those artists forward as the next big thing they kept trying to push their own peoples out there, who had no skills, no style, no talent or originality.

Dont blame distributors or mothafuckin whoever else when the people who had the position to get the real talent from all sides of Cali out there had no intention of doing it.

Remember when NEMO interviewed Ice Cube? No mention was made of the extremely talented and large Northern CA music scene. Basically Ice Cube said the west coast fell off because people did not want to put work in and hustle like they should. Nemo and the siccness never mentioned the fact that Cube, Snoop, Dre, etc., completely ignored what was goin on up here.

@ Killa Tay and whoever else...The West Coast fell off because Snoop and Dre tried to keep the West Coast success down south...pretty soon all the West Coast artists gettin put out there all started to sound the same and the public was not buyin it. If Snoop and Dre and everyone else used their connections to showcase Northern Cali talent we would still be on top of the radio right now.

Dec 25, 2003
My opinion is that now today they suck, theyre still fuckin around and still tryin to make more millions by struggling to stay wit the major major labels and another thing is that theyre "celebrity gangstas" whom are for just the mainstream so their still around fans be able to be self-exploited by all that unoriginal shit theyre now bringing out, thats why the Bay Area scene is now "The West Coast" of today and are at heart on top cuz theyre the real just for moving their music business independently like they always did. Southern Cali especially down here in Dago is all media fucked because the majority are just a bunch of corporated deaf mofuckaz still fuckin wit that commercial rap shit. Out here I never hear any Bay Area music especially outside the hoods into the suburbs and the city perimeters. I mostly hear rap heads blastin Pac, DMX, Ja Rule, Wu Tang, 50 Cent, all East Coast rap, and Lil Jon, Scarface, TI, Flip, Outkast, Master P, and commonly Snoop, Dre, Xzibit, Ice Cube, and all the usual, my getting myself clear here???

Feb 19, 2003
^ ^ ^ ^

Yup. It depends on your definition of "dead." If you're talking "dead" in terms of widespread, mainstream success, well, yeah, in that sense, the West is comatose, if not dead. But as far as "dead" in terms of the rappers still making dope music and having fans (however small the numbers may be nowadays), not by a long shot...

PEACE!

Dec 25, 2003
I'm sayin Dead as in not on the radio and getting critical acclaim...

Everyone on this board knows the talent and great music put out by bay rappers will never be appreciated like it should...

Apr 1, 2002
Interesting...Oh yeah, you forgot to mention 2PAC, who had the click on one of his videos. If only Pac was still alive.....But I feel what ya saying though, makes some sense.

Apr 25, 2002
IT IS NO ARTISTS JOB TO HELP OUT ANOTHER ARTIST

IT IS ONLY THE BAY AREA'S JOB TO MAKE SURE THAT THE BAY AREA SUCCEEDS

Do you walk down the street handing out all of your hard earned money to homeless people because they don't have as much as you?

STeP

Sicc OG
Jul 4, 2003
No matter who tries to push us off, we still gonna be alive and kickin'. And any real Yay Area kid would know that shit. We too hard headed to let shit like that stop us. I mean, if you think about it, every location gets their time to shine. Such as the South right now is runnin' shit. At one time the East Coast was runnin' shit. We'll all get our chance. Just keep makin' good music, that's the only thing we can do right now.

Aug 21, 2002
WHY THE WEST COAST ISNT DEAD...
Were just on our own level,, thats for sure... OUt here we rap about real shit, not playboy cute shit, that the whole US would feel. The bay is different than any other place in the whole world. We got the best DANK,,DIversity, drama whatever,, that makes it dum ass crack.Go to any other state and all you will want to do is come back to the bay, sooner or later. For us to appeal to them, we wouldnt be doing what it is that makes us, us. YOU FEEL ME? Only time will tell if the mainstream media is ready for us.

THATS MY 2 CENTS

Feb 19, 2003
MilpitasDanksta said:
WHY THE WEST COAST ISNT DEAD...
Were just on our own level,, thats for sure... OUt here we rap about real shit, not playboy cute shit, that the whole US would feel. The bay is different than any other place in the whole world. We got the best DANK,,DIversity, drama whatever,, that makes it dum ass crack.Go to any other state and all you will want to do is come back to the bay, sooner or later. For us to appeal to them, we wouldnt be doing what it is that makes us, us. YOU FEEL ME? Only time will tell if the mainstream media is ready for us.

THATS MY 2 CENTS
Good answer. And even if widespread success (in terms of everybody knowing the Bay) doesn't happen anytime soon, the music is still there for you if you're into it. To me, the solution is to listen to whatever music you're into because YOU like it, NOT because everybody else digs it. Something gains its' definition of dopeness based on whether it moves YOU, NOT whether or not it moves everybody else. Sure, it'd be cool if the Bay did re-emerge nationally, but I'm not going to worry my head over it and cry over "why can't everybody else like the Bay like I do?" Just my opinion, though.

PEACE!

RIX

Sicc OG
Dec 6, 2002
THA BAY IS WHERE ITS AT... WE GOT THA UNIGUNESS, THA ORIGINALITY AND SUM OF THA BEST SHIT COMIN OUT THA BAY BUT IT GOES UNNOTICED... I PERSONALLY AINT TRIPPIN OF THA WAY SHIT IS NOW... BUT IF THA BAY DID GET A LIL MORE LOVE SHIT WOULD B ON N POPPIN... BUT I DONT EVEN LISTEN TO THA RADIO SO ITS NOTHINNNNNNNNNNN

Apr 1, 2002
G-Dubb said:
IT IS NO ARTISTS JOB TO HELP OUT ANOTHER ARTIST

IT IS ONLY THE BAY AREA'S JOB TO MAKE SURE THAT THE BAY AREA SUCCEEDS

Do you walk down the street handing out all of your hard earned money to homeless people because they don't have as much as you?
I agree.