Dude spends all his money after Docs told him he had a year left to live

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 31, 2007
LONDON (Reuters) - A British man who went on a wild spending spree after doctors said he only had a short time to live wants compensation because the diagnosis was wrong and he is now healthy -- but broke.
ADVERTISEMENT

John Brandrick, 62, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer two years ago and told that he would probably die within a year.

He quit his job, sold or gave away nearly all his possessions, stopped paying his mortgage and spent his savings dining out and going on holiday.

Brandrick was left with little more than the black suit, white shirt and red tie that he had planned to be buried in when it emerged a year later that his suspected "tumor" was no more than a non-life threatening inflammation of the pancreas.

"When they tell you you've got a limited time and everything, you do enjoy life," Brandrick, from Cornwall in the west of England, told Sky television.

"I'm really pleased that I've got a second chance in life... but if you haven't got no money after all this, which is my fault -- I spent it all -- they should pay something back."

If he can't get compensation, he is considering selling his house or suing the hospital that diagnosed him. The hospital has said that while it sympathizes with Brandrick, a review of his case showed no different diagnosis would have been made.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070507/od_nm/britain_spree_odd_dc_1

Mar 16, 2005
Fukclemson said:
"I'm really pleased that I've got a second chance in life... but if you haven't got no money after all this, which is my fault -- I spent it all -- they should pay something back."

Way to take responsibility

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

would you rather have all your money back or your life?

dude can still sell his house and have some money and do something...I'm sure he got family that can help him out too...

Nov 27, 2006
THESEUS said:
he should get somethin back for real doctors get paid that much to tell you the truth plain and simple he was lied to
he wasn't lied to, it was a mistake which happens all the time and he was fuckin retarded for spending all his money with out being 100% sure he was goin die by a certain date. People are misdiagnosed all the time and their smart enough to at least get a second opinion and not blow all their savings. Dude is a straight stupid.

Jan 10, 2006
I'd do the exact same thing. However, I wouldn't spend it all down to the clothes on my body. He was given a year to live, i'm sure that was an approximation and not an exact date. Who knows when your last day would be.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
that's some faulty shit...i'd be pissed if they gave me the wrong diagnoses...would that be considered malpractice or no?

if you tell someone they are going to die, they better be going to die...when you say, "you're going to die" and then a year later change it to, "it was just inflamed a little" that's a HUGE fucking mistake...those retarded mother fuckers should compensate him a little bit.

if they had done it the other way, "no big deal" and then the dude turned out to die because they didn't give him the proper treatment they'd be sucking his families balls trying to get them not to sue the hospital.