I need help with FL Studio/Roland SH-201 Synthesizer

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 10, 2005
Yesterday I received my Roland SH-201 Synthesizer Keyboard, and I'm having a little trouble. I need the keyboard to run with FL Studio on my computer. I ran the cd-rom and installed the drivers, then I added the SH-201 Editor VST into the software. It seems to work fine - however, when I change the "patch" in FL Studio, the sound is the SAME for every "patch" I choose from the list, when I play it on the keyboard. How do I use the different patches? Also, the VST seems to be in mono mode. How do I change it to stereo?

P.S. while this is being worked out, I have another question to ask (so I won't have to in the future). How would I record a melody played on the keyboard into FL Studio to access in a pattern in FL Studio?

Apr 26, 2006
Kaijin said:
P.S. while this is being worked out, I have another question to ask (so I won't have to in the future). How would I record a melody played on the keyboard into FL Studio to access in a pattern in FL Studio?

I'm not sure about your first paragraph, but this last part should work. Did you make sure that the SH-201 is selected and "Enabled" in the midi preference section? For controller type, just select "generic" and under the "Input" section your SH-201 should come up right there, it should probably say something like Input1, just highlight it and make sure the Enable button is clicked ON. Once that's setup, all midi should work.

Other than that, just press the "Record" button in FL Studio, then play your melody.

Jul 10, 2005
Yeah, I was able to get the record function to work.

Anyway, I've decided to simply experiment with Software VSTs and use my keyboard to play them. I downloaded Arturia's Analog Factory and it has a lot of AMAZING sounds. However, most of them play back with static and skip often when I play a long melody...I wonder why? Something wrong with the frequency of the plugin? How can it be fixed? I'd love to use those sounds but I need to get rid of the static and prevent the sound from skipping...any ideas?

Apr 26, 2006
Kaijin said:
Yeah, I was able to get the record function to work.

Anyway, I've decided to simply experiment with Software VSTs and use my keyboard to play them. I downloaded Arturia's Analog Factory and it has a lot of AMAZING sounds. However, most of them play back with static and skip often when I play a long melody...I wonder why? Something wrong with the frequency of the plugin? How can it be fixed? I'd love to use those sounds but I need to get rid of the static and prevent the sound from skipping...any ideas?

You might have to raise your buffer setting. Go to Options, Audio Settings, then move the slider more to the right until the skipping stops.

Actually the best thing to do would be to download the "ASIO" driver off, www.asio4all.com

Then do the same exact steps I mentioned above in the first paragraph, but make sure you first select "ASIO4ALL v2" as your audio "Output" source. With ASIO you will be able to acheive a lower latency buffer rate (less lag in other words), meaning you can process sounds a lot more quickly and cleaner sounding. The lower you can place the buffer slider to the left without any skipping occuring, the better. That's why it's best to go ASIO because you can achieve those lower buffer lengths without as much skipping or no skipping at all. You want it to be as close as realtime as possible and ASIO helps with that.

Only thing is that it does suck up a bit more CPU usage to acheive those lower buffer lengths, but it's definitely worth it. It's really not that much more CPU usage though.