wii and xbox 360 get updated for enhanced gameplay

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 16, 2006
Nintendo released Wii update 3.0 which allegedly includes shorter load times when switching channels as well as faster disc read speeds. Also included are news and weather channel updates, and new menu clock, and store updates which allow for easier browsing, navigation, and searching of Virtual Console games. Full list of updates below.

Microsoft, for their part, updated the Xbox 360 dashboard for support of wireless guitar controllers in preparation for the release of Guitar Hero III and Rock Band this fall. Soon you will be able to face melt opponents without tethers.

According to Joystiq, however, some users are reporting that the update disables the ability of the console to detect when a disc is in the tray, a peculiar though minor side affect.

Wii Channels
- Digital Clock added to the Wii Menu right under the channel bar
- Forecast Channel now displays the current condition directly in the Wii Menu in the Forecast Channel box
- News Channel can now show 2 scrolling headlines at a time in the Wii Menu, 3 when you click on the button
- Message Board now has the "Today's Accomplishments" message as a white message which allows it to stand out from other messages
- Address Book entries can now be shifted around using A+B but only to empty spaces.
- Calendar in Message Board no longer shows "Today's Accomplishment"
- Scrolling messages in the Message Board now uses a different sound

Wii Shop Channel
- New Welcome screen detailing 4 Recommended Titles and the points they cost. The title bar can be clicked on to bring up a list of 20 recommended games.
- Titles You've Downloaded was moved to the main shop menu
- New ways to browse
- Popular Titles
- Newest Additions remains the same
- Search for a title which can use partial names
- Search by Category
- Search by Publisher
- Search by Genre
- System shows the different systems and how many titles have been released under each

Wii Settings
Warning added pre-system update detailing that technically modified consoles may cease to function upon being updated. Also the only way to not accept an update is to power down the console by holding the button for 4 seconds.

i updated my 360 and didnt really see a difference. anybody notice any changes?

Jan 23, 2006
yoinkIZback31 said:
Microsoft, for their part, updated the Xbox 360 dashboard for support of wireless guitar controllers in preparation for the release of Guitar Hero III and Rock Band this fall. Soon you will be able to face melt opponents without tethers.

Masked Lemon said:
the only thing they updated for the 360 was support for the wireless guitars, which won't be released until OCtober, You won't notice any changes.
i guess he didnt read his own article :confused:

Aug 7, 2003
the real xbox 360 update is that all the premium consoles from here on out will be made with a standard hdmi output. so the elite and premium consoles will both have hdmi output to support up to 1080p. the core might or might not get it. but stores are already selling the premiums with the hdmi. no one knows if that includes the 65 nm chip or not. i think we will find that out within a month. and microsoft confirmed the hdmi for the premiums today.

Jan 11, 2006
grouchoweed.ipbfree.com
I know MS confirmed HDMI for the Halo 3 system, didn't know about the regular premium also. Doesn't matter to me though, I don't have an HDMI port on my tv.

Waiting for confirmation of the new falcon chip so I can exchange my system though. I have heard that anything with the lot #0728 should have them.

Aug 7, 2003
Masked Lemon said:
I know MS confirmed HDMI for the Halo 3 system, didn't know about the regular premium also. Doesn't matter to me though, I don't have an HDMI port on my tv.

Waiting for confirmation of the new falcon chip so I can exchange my system though. I have heard that anything with the lot #0728 should have them.
supposedly the new premiums and probably elites are being made with the new chips. the hdmi port appeared on a premium that was manufactured on july 4th, 2007. so they might already have a lot of systems on the shelves with the 65 nm chip.

heres the article where MS confirms the hdmi port on the premiums.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/811/811669p1.html

and most just assume that it comes with the 65 nm chip too. but no one knows becuase so few have one.