Why Dago will and wont put a dent in the game

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 27, 2005
I was giving it some thought, and I came up with some reasons. First of all, I just wanted to put reasons why Dago wont make its mark. Mind you, I'm not stating facts, its just my own opinion.

1. San Diego rappers are not humble enough to make a statement for the masses. Most of the rappers out here are coming from the gangsta point of view, and if thats not the genre you rep, you are thought of as square and probably wont get the street support, which leads to my next point.

2. Crossover appeal is necessary. One word. Nick Cannon. He made it and never reps Dago prolly cause he dont wanna get pidgeon holed into this or that category, and his street credentials are irrelevant to what he tryin to do.

3. The San Diego scene is playing catch up. We have experiences and stories to tell, and during the time when these stories were the most shocking and interesting to america and to the world, we never had a voice.

4. We have the lil brother complex. It seem like we are in the shadow of L.A. and we are, but we seem to alienate ourselves from the major market up the road by takin a anti L.A. attitude. Also alot of people from here have low self esteem in our city and dont have the confidence that Dago would ever do any thing. Look at how many Raiders fans we have here and the attitude toward the Chargers, Padres, etc.

5. We are so goddamn divided. Man, my name aint Southeast Unite for nothin! We are divided along racial lines, then as niggas, we divided by gang politics, because as a crip, youre confined to this small area on the west side of town with no room to stretch your legs, and as a blood, you got sets that would all want nothing else than to be the illest set in Dago, even at the expense of other blood sets. The bloods have always tried to distinguish theyselves from one another from the gitgo startin with the color. Skyline is the traditional red, but Lincoln Park decided to be green, Emerald Hills and O'Farrell Park went with grey, and the 5/9 Brims can be found wearing burgundy lots of times, and also you got the distinction of Skyline and Lil Africa as piru gangs which some other bloods as well as some pirus consider a seperate faction from the blood car. Now in every town that has major gang activity, is this the status? Also, the biggest rivalry in the town is the Skyline East Side Piru-Lincoln Park Blood funk. So in a town divided by crip and blood, you get blood on blood. Then you got snitches, and the politics and some flare ups within your own set, so theres alot of division all the way around.

6. Alot of San Diego rappers cant seperate the rappin from the streets, and some cant seperate reality from rappin. When we have the opportunity to have the streets ear, we should give the people enjoyable music. I might be overlappin my points but this is from the dome fuck it. I know you cant please everybody all the time, but the music was made for people to vibe and be good for the soul. Now its like some music will literally make somebody get they head tore off, and we can do alot of good things with the music. I know that if some of these rappers would admit that unity is a good thing and gang hoo ridin is perpetual ignorance, alot of wounds could be healed. And some of these rappers try to use the mic as a propaganda machine, to try to make themselves or there area seem like the meanest, which works if thats the consensus, but can backfire if its spreading falsehoods. Also I see this more often here than anywhere else, like people hear specific turf bizness in the songs, like what set is against what, which I hardly hear in other places, and if I do, it dont register. But I dont know, we just might change the game and make it doing it that way.

7. Hustle. Man these niggas gotta go get it, yadidimean? Man listen to the pioneers and they stories of determination, it is never easy. And wit us already with a disadvantage, we cant afford to sit on our ass and wait for a miracle.

Why I think Dago can blow.

1. Dago has a story. The Dago story is a good history lesson for the world to hear. I mean Dago is full of migrants who come for different reasons, but there is culture in the town. New York is known for pan pizza, Chicago deep dish, Louisiana gumbo, Philly cheese steak, and I feel San Diego should be known for the rolled taco! Man there is so much to be proud of in San Diego, like summer time year round, the beach year round etc. Fam Bam on the weekend. The women, the sports on all levels, even the street history, if thats what you take pride in, cause the roots of the gang culture run deep in Dago, second to one place only, where the b's and c's originate... yall get my point.

2. The originality. There is definitely a unique sound coming out this way, and that is intrigueing to fresh ears. I remember seeing the new regions pop on the scene and processing the new accents and slang, and Dago put some new words and sayings out there.

3. Timing. Hopefully all of these circumstances happened for a reason, and the West will get some attention along with the rest of the west.

I could go on and on but I want to know what yall think.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Its great to view a topic with the thought put in it the way you did.You are right in so many ways, a few of my points is some feel L.A. is overshadowing dago, maybe at one time but L.A. aint even where its at now,-- and we including L.A. are lacking inovation, scared to go out on a limb, we stay making the same sound, some say all things come full circle, and sometimes it may be true.But if it were the case then kurtis blow would be on b.e.t. in full rotaion.On the other hand we are good at what we do and there is a market.Im all for a movement and unity however in some ways it may not work.such as as it is the ones whining cause they think they should be livin large, yet they sit back and do nothing, but complain, as I said time and time again laziness is a cancer on the west coast(not all) so talking about coming together could go either way instead of operation unite it should be operation foot in yo ass and get the fuck up and make somethin happen we can talk all day and at the end with no action it is what it is---TALK

I feel you on them rolled tacos. I was in the military for 11yrs and when I was on the east coast there was only a few mxican food restraunts( now just sprouting up) but they were traditional eat ins and you get two rolled tacos( quacamole on the side/no cheese) and beans and rice $6.00 and it wasnt great.I had a friend from new york and we was talkin and he told me he was stationed in dago the best thing about dago he could say was......................ALBERTOS, rolled tacos with cheese, his only experience with mexican food before that was taco bell, and he said that place stayed packed AND people thought it was authentic

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
UNITE UNITE.....U-THA-FUKK-NITE!!!!!!
DAYGO GOT WAAY TOO MUCH HEAT...FIREPOWER....GRITS AND GRAVY. YOU GOT NIGGAZ OUTTA EVERY SECTION OF DAGO THAT'LL PROVE THAT. BUT WHATS THE PROBLEM?? WHY CANT NIGGAZ GET NO WHERE AS A MAJORITY INSTEAD OF JUST SINGLES...i.e. MITCHY SLICK...JAYO FELONY. I THINK THE ANSWER WAS STATED IN THE FIRST POST. EVERY BODY WANNA BE THE BIGGEST AND BADDEST, CANT TELL A NIGGA SHIT NOWADAYS WITHOUT HIM GETTIN HURT...EGO GETTIN THE WAY. IMO YOUNG NIGGAZ KEEP THIS SHIT MOVIN THE WAY IT IS. AINT NOBODY OUT THERE PREACHIN KNOWLEDGE TO THESE LIL NIGGAZ OUT HERE RUNNIN AROUND WIT FLAGS OUT THEY POCKETS. SOME NIGGAZ "SAY" THEY KNO WHY THEY BANGIN "AND" THEY HISTORY...BUT MY QUESTION TO THEM IS.....NIGGA...DO YOU REALLY KNO WHAT YOUR DOIN AND WHY?? ID LIKE TO KNO. NOT REALLY TRYIN TO HEAR CAUSE "THIS IS WHERE MY HOMIES IS FROM SO IM DOIN IT TOO".....THATS A DUMBASS ANSWER. SHIT...FOR THE MOST PART, I GREW UP IN SOUTHEAST....PARADISE HILLS ALL DAY.....BUT THRU TIME I'VE LIIVED IN DIFFERENT SETS....GOT/HAD HOMIES FROM 4-7...THE COAST...LINCOLN...OFFARRELL...SKYLINE.......HAD CHANCES TO GET JUMPED IN AND ALL THAT....BUT I NEVER SEEN THE PURPOSE IN IT. BACK ON TOPIC THO...IF FOOLS WOULD PUT THEY ENERGY INTO SUMTHIN POSITIVE INSTEAD OF THE NIGGA OVER THERE WEARIN THE WRONG COLOR WE "WOULD" BE SOMEWHERE IMO. TOO MUCH HATIN..TOO MUCH GANGBANGIN IN THIS PLACE I LIKE TO CALL "SLAN DIEGO"...CAUSE NIGGAZ GET SLAIN REAL QUIK OUT HERE ON SUM BULLSHIT OR NOT. IF PEOPLE WOULD REALIZE THAT WE ALL IN THIS SAME SYSTEM TOGETHER, THAT IT WAS BUILT FOR US(LIQUOR STORES ON EVERY CORNER...NO "REAL" BUSINESSES IN SOUTHEAST....JUST LIQOUR STORES OWNED BY MIDDLE EAST CATS GETTIN RICH LAUGHIN AT US WALKIN IN THERE BUYIN .75 BLUNTS AND O.E. ALL DAMN DAY!!.). ONCE NIGGAZ REALLY GET SMART...MAYBE THEN WE CAN MOVE FOWARD

Apr 27, 2005
Yeah I didnt read that shit over before I posted. I think #6 might sound like its directed at somebody on some subliminal shit. I wouldnt do no shit like that, I aint tryin to knock nobody Im just tryin to get niggas to get it right and study the game and master this shit. Just figure out what the game needs and hit game hard as a train. I mean that authentic gangsta shit wit those street tales do get niggas hyphy. I mean when niggas like Eazy E, Ice Cube, DJ Quik, MC Eiht, Spice 1, Geto Boys, The Game talk about the shit they did and all that it get a nigga juiced, but I aint from they hometown so it aint personal to me. It was prolly nigs from they city that was like "Oh you hoo-ridin huh? This nigga is tryin to stir shit up on wax". Bottom line, if you say you put in work or whatever, I think niggas wont take it personal until you start mentioning they set like theyre target practice or somethin. But authenticity is everything I just hope niggas dont sell they soul for the mill ticket.

Apr 25, 2002
I think SouthEast Unite made some really good points...here are some I would add as to why or why not.

WHY NOT

The Catch Up Game- Southeast mentioned this, I think this is one of the reasons why San Diego is not ripe to blow up right now. There are definitely good artists out here but to me it doesnt look like there is any competition to make the good ones stand out from the bad ones...This is a prime reason why the bay area is startin to get a lot more play in other places, is that the artists had to compete against each other...for a short period the bay area game was watered down with bullshit, and then all the sudden there was an explosion of new material, collaborations, battle raps etc. A lot of the new rappers in the bay who are makin a name for themselves did so against each other (ie Locksmith of FRONTLINE and Mistah F.A.B. of THIZZ, A-Wolf, Balance, Killa Keise)...The ones who have been around for sometime (Yukmouth, Quinn) elevated their game to a higher level, and a few others (Mac Dre, Jacka) tried something completely different. And as a result of the interactions, whether battle rapping or collaborating made each artist better...now of course...different solutions work in different areas...the diversity of music in the bay area cant be matched by any rap scene in the United States, but the emergence of the "New Bay" movement could set a great example for SD. Artists in the Bay put their pistols down and focused on their material and now you got people in Europe talkin about Bay Area.

2. Local Fanbase- As an immigrant to SD, there were two things I noticed almost immediately after I moved in: 1. IMO the city appears very segregated, I didnt notice a lot of multicultural areas, white people lived in there side of town, black people lived on there side, and mexicans lived in there areas, and of course because of the border the mexican areas are slowly expanding into other minoeity neighborhoods. 2. There is a significant amount of the population that is white, much more than cities like SF, Oakland, Los Angeles, New York, Miami. One would probly ask wtf this has to do with rap music, well, I noticed that the whites here arent as interested in rap music as whites in Northenrn California. Whites in Northern California whether involved in the streets or working people have a rap personality, they wear hip hop clothing, they watch sports and sport their team's jersys, they bump rap, they like chevys. From my experience, a lot of the whites out here are almost unaware of any local artist, they sport Abercrombie and Fitch and trucker hats, they wear flip flops and surf, etc. I think someone in Dago needs to bridge the gap between the races, not just the hood shit but also between whites and other races, because whites account for a significant amount of sales of music...I really think its too bad when I meet white locals out here in PB who never heard of Mitchy Slick or Ecay or anyone else. I hope that someone from SD could speak on this comment and whether you agree or not, its something myself and a number of my friends from San Francisco have noticed...

3. The Radio- Im sorry but the radio stations out here is horrible. I think most would agree so no need to expand. I really think Dago would benifit if one of the hip hop stations changed format to something like KMEL 106 in San Francisco, which now plays about 70% rap, of that 70% at least 35% is local, it gives new artists exposure, and it shows that people will support local artists if they have a chance.

Reasons Why Dago

WHY

Originality- Although we've already talked about the Catch Up effects of being behind, a number of Dago artists definitely have some talent. I think Mitchy Slick is probly the most well rounded rapper out here, his flow and voice style is different from anything I ever heard, his concepts on Mitchy Does It were dope as fuck, and I mean for realz he's not Rakim on the mic but he's well above average and flow, concepts and lyrics together make a great combination that more people need to hear. I really enjoyed Triggerlation Station and Mitchy Does It is hot. Talent like that cant be matched by a bunch of suckas the Def Jam wants to sign yadig?!

Party Scene- One thing I noticed in SD is that you people love to party. People in the Sco love to party too, but for some reason I noticed at large scale events (10,000 plus people) someone in the Bay Area always wants to ruin it for everyone. I goto Street Scene, PB Block Party, the Superbowl parties, etc. and I noticed in general there isnt as much funk, and also theres great lookin women! The party scene in SD is well above par and most the people I have met from any race have been friendly and welcoming. I havent been to a local rap show but if they are anything like the average show I been to and things are friendly, id think itd be inevitable that local rappers would make their way into the clubs and bars, because the clubs and bars in PB and Downtown are ALWAYS packed, it would be a great way to find more fans and get exposure to start gettin downtown a bit more.

Apr 27, 2005
Yeah San Diego and alot of tourist towns are very segregated. I think the city has the resources to fund a very overbearing force of babylons, which keeps us passive, and the cost of living herds us into small pockets of residential areas so I would say multi cultural things are minimal. I mean, on everything I love, I went to school wit like 2 white people in the whole high school. Thats rediculous in the days in times that we're comin up in. Thats somethin that I love about N Cali, the liberal free spiritedness. I always feel like a fish in a fishbowl in the white areas down here, which is fucked up but true. There is major support for hip hop as a whole by the white community in the US, but on the local level I have to agree that that necessary support isnt there. Its just kinda bootsy but we just gotta find the loopholes.

Oct 19, 2004
SOUTHEAST DAGO
Madd dogg, let me guess homie, your white right?well from someone born and raised in SD, I can tell u that ther a lotta White fools that feel and support DAGO rap.I think u dont see it because u be kickin in parts of Dago that has that white boy surfer mentality, ie Pacific beach or la jolla. Ask yourself this, U ever been to Southeast Dago and really kicked it there?South Bay? I think your whole perspective is a typical one that I have encountered from a lot of out of towners, "oh san diego has hoods and hip hop artists?but it's such a nice area". I had a homeboy from the Bay that went to SDSU that came down here and essentially was dissing my city because he thought Dago was gonna be more hectic then it was. I was like okay homie u trippin meet me at Fam bam in south east so I can pick up some white tees, He was like huh, southeast?euclid? where that at ? A lot of out of towners never really kick it in the spots where the hip hop scene is at, and they assume it's stagnant. I think that's a relevant problem that Dago has, People dont THINK we have street credentials when us natives KNOW differently, especially since we are the second city to EVER bang blood and crip.

Apr 25, 2002
45park1904 said:
Madd dogg, let me guess homie, your white right?well from someone born and raised in SD, I can tell u that ther a lotta White fools that feel and support DAGO rap.I think u dont see it because u be kickin in parts of Dago that has that white boy surfer mentality, ie Pacific beach or la jolla. Ask yourself this, U ever been to Southeast Dago and really kicked it there?South Bay? I think your whole perspective is a typical one that I have encountered from a lot of out of towners, "oh san diego has hoods and hip hop artists?but it's such a nice area". I had a homeboy from the Bay that went to SDSU that came down here and essentially was dissing my city because he thought Dago was gonna be more hectic then it was. I was like okay homie u trippin meet me at Fam bam in south east so I can pick up some white tees, He was like huh, southeast?euclid? where that at ? A lot of out of towners never really kick it in the spots where the hip hop scene is at, and they assume it's stagnant. I think that's a relevant problem that Dago has, People dont THINK we have street credentials when us natives KNOW differently, especially since we are the second city to EVER bang blood and crip.
I dont really kick it in South East too much because I really dont have much business being out there. I did work doing deliveries from Spring Valley to Downtown up and down the 94 and have been up and down University, Euclid, College and College Grove, El Cajon Blvd., etc. I worked with a friend who has taken me through some of the 'jects I believe over by where a bunch of the freeways meet I think if I remember right around the 805 and the 5 but it was quite some time ago.

Ive seen some of the hoods, but like I said, I dont really KICK it on the block because I have no affiliation or reason to unless im out in the South East for a houseparty or something like that. I apologize if I come off ignorent and make it sound like I dont think Dago has hoods. Like every city Ive ever been to their are hoods and I there probly isnt much that seperates a hood in the bay area from a hood from SD...so I dont mean to try to make your city out to be a punk ass city or as hoodless...I think we have had a similar misunderstanding before and I think it comes down to the fact that we both have pride in where we are from, and I know a LOT about where Im from and you know a LOT about where your from, and we are opinionated and so obviously we dont agree on everything each other has to say...I think Dago has a lot of street credibility and I think you misinterpreted what I said about white people...Im sure there is a gang of whites in Southern California up on at least a few Dago artists but a lot of the whites I have met dont really seem to blend into the hip hop culture...most of the white people I have met that do listen to hip hop seem to be fans of Hieroglyphics, Living Legends, backpacker type hip hop, I havent encountered a lot of white folks out here talkin about 'yo check out this Ecay Uno' or anything like that, and maybe its because the white people I meet are college folks, PB folks, people from East County, etc...but my point was...whites as a demographic account for a large percentage of record sales...to me, it appears that a large percentage of whites in SD are not really acculturated or interested in the West Coast G rap scene...so in a way I think Dago rappers are missin out on some sales...if rappers could bridge that gap and penetrate that audience it would be huge...

I apologize about your friend from SDSU from the bay area...its seems like I hear more and more about people from the yay comin here and not being good guests...just yesterday I met a group of bay cats at the beach who were throwin the best party on the whole beach and ruined that shit over a bunch of Norcal/Socal bullshit, ended up gettin a whole 25 yard segment of the beach shut down and flooded with undercovers and 5-0...theres a lot of exciting stuff goin on especially with the hip hop scene in the bay and it confuses me why people from the yay feel it nessecary to put other areas down just because they are thriving up north...I think the bay area, LA and SD really have a lot in common and we should stress our similarities more...

Nov 2, 2004
MaddDogg said:
its seems like I hear more and more about people from the yay comin here and not being good guests...just yesterday I met a group of bay cats at the beach who were throwin the best party on the whole beach and ruined that shit over a bunch of Norcal/Socal bullshit
Haha that's funny the fuckin norcal/socal shit. And the fact that outsiders think that all we got in Cali is L.A.. I can't remember how many times niggaz told me that people think that it's just Gayme and Snoop out here. It's almost time for Dago and the Bay to blow. Then after we do......... FUCK L.A., i'm sick of hearin about lala land.

Deuce

Sicc OG
Jun 12, 2002
Southeast Unite said:
6.I know you cant please everybody all the time, but the music was made for people to vibe and be good for the soul. Now its like some music will literally make somebody get they head tore off, and we can do alot of good things with the music. I know that if some of these rappers would admit that unity is a good thing and gang hoo ridin is perpetual ignorance, alot of wounds could be healed.

Sounds like some fag shit to me, everyone knows southern cali music is gang motivated and violence-driven, I dunno about any of you priccs but I like it that way, it fuels the fire and brothas be makin aggressive music with a genuine hate for the other side hence tight albums, not all this ''lyrical wu tang'' bacc pacc bullshit, but more like 95-98 era with acidic basslines and niccas just animalizing the beats..

Quit that ''unity'' shit, sounds hella apologetic and sinisterly gay at the same time. So as long as Mitch keeps droppin' gems with a gang theme, I'll keep supportin', but if the nicca does a 180 and he starts that tear jerkin' crybaby ass ''unity'' shit I'ma stop supportin'...

Dudes is in there 20's and not givin a mad ass FUCC, just need some ignorance shit to ride too, fucc all that sentimental shit nicca real talk

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Deuce said:
Sounds like some fag shit to me, everyone knows southern cali music is gang motivated and violence-driven, I dunno about any of you priccs but I like it that way, it fuels the fire and brothas be makin aggressive music with a genuine hate for the other side hence tight albums, not all this ''lyrical wu tang'' bacc pacc bullshit, but more like 95-98 era with acidic basslines and niccas just animalizing the beats..

Quit that ''unity'' shit, sounds hella apologetic and sinisterly gay at the same time. So as long as Mitch keeps droppin' gems with a gang theme, I'll keep supportin', but if the nicca does a 180 and he starts that tear jerkin' crybaby ass ''unity'' shit I'ma stop supportin'...

Dudes is in there 20's and not givin a mad ass FUCC, just need some ignorance shit to ride too, fucc all that sentimental shit nicca real talk
ifeel ya on that but in your profile it says you costa rican, but you throwin the n word around, I seen you replied to alot of shit today but this same subject is in the west coast gang history -...your forte right? but you aint reply there . also your profile says your favorite rapper is jay-z, he is tight but then again I thought you was on some west coast gang shit, what no c-bo, tray dee,ecay, damu, but you picked jay z, and this is a southern cali forum not west coast gangsta music forum

Deuce

Sicc OG
Jun 12, 2002
50cal said:
ifeel ya on that but in your profile it says you costa rican, but you throwin the n word around, I seen you replied to alot of shit today but this same subject is in the west coast gang history -...your forte right? but you aint reply there . also your profile says your favorite rapper is jay-z, he is tight but then again I thought you was on some west coast gang shit, what no c-bo, tray dee,ecay, damu, but you picked jay z, and this is a southern cali forum not west coast gangsta music forum
Someone get this jug head a seat...

Ayo, this shit-heel ass nicca is for real ?...Faggit I ought to slap the piss out yo' ass, I been callin' blacc and hispanic men niccas and bitches since kool herc and his spic contemporaries invented the turn table in 1806, so youre comment constitutes for what exactly ? that I wanna be a prieto ? get the fucc out of my face with that homo wizardry,

...boom...you also delegatin' to me that I don't know/own damu, ecay uno, tray dee or whoever the fucc's cd's/mixtapes ? wow. Actually WOWOWOWOWOWWOOWOWWOWWW STOP nicca I got a bedroom with 6000 feet of 10m-high shelving for all my 3000 rap albums, shut the fucc up.

Jay is the God, these rappers the earth.

And conclusively homie, I been here since before vamps owned the site, I KNOW what the fucc forum is it so miss me with that subliminal shit actin like a nicca is lost at sea or some shit and not knowin' what time it is

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
aint nothing subliminal, Im callin it how I see it , you on some homo shit talkin shit on dodo with yo sugafree fohead and snoop body , with all that gay shit comin out your mouth, but you go ahead and talk how ya wanna talk, butyou a young punk homie, you was born in 84 and you sayin you was around with herc, you a busta so go brush the crust off your ankles you pillow bitin peter puffer,I aint even gonna school you on hip hop or the streets if you was in dago you would be a hillcrest hustler hanging out at balboa park in a pair of jellies and a pink thong, I seen your profile so I aint tryin to get tough cause you just might be a dike i cant tell and keep the n word out your mouth lil punk now go do your homework and shut the fuck up

Deuce

Sicc OG
Jun 12, 2002
Awwww :***( tears, yo did I make you cry when I suggested youre virgin friends rap name was corny and sounded like some spasticated parrot ? awwww tears are encouraged, and very therapuetic.

Second Chump, if Deuce came to youre blocc, I'd be there with coke the price of coffee beans and 5 extra clips PRAYING for drama...pop you up and forget about it after a blunt so flap youre cape elsewhere turbo

And this squab commenting on my body, nicca whats REALLY going on here