?What Do You Expect From Your Distributor?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Big C

Sicc OG
May 21, 2002
This is an open question. In order for me to serve all of my labels better and even educate me, I would like to know what you expect & don't expect from your distributor.
Please be open and candid.
Thanks,
Cuda

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
I would expect calls from them lettin' the label know of any progress or updates in the particular project.

I don't expect a distributor to make our project sell or make sure it's in various stores, that is the label's job.. creating the demand... the distributor supplies the demand. I think distributor's sales reps should be doin a better job though, using their relationships to get nice pre orders and faster re-orders.

Big C

Sicc OG
May 21, 2002
og MS/ Thanks for responding
Your right. We should use our influence to get cool pre-orders. But more often than not the buyers use the abused saying, "I'm waiting for a buzz at the store level"
When that happens, pre-orders are minimal or non-existant.
So the label needs to take it upon themselves to flood their key markets with POP w/1-sheets. ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE A 1-SHEET WHEN SENDING POP TO STORES!
Now when the stores talk to the head buyers they have something to request.
Rob Nonies taught me to have friends, family and the label call and request the titles from the stores.
When that happens the stores realize there's a buzz on the record and put in requests to corporate.
Make sure you have title and artist when you call. These are all things that help. Don't let the guy on the other end of the phone simply say they don't carry it. ASk to speak to the buyer and make sure he brings it in.

Does anyone feel me on this?

Cuda

May 13, 2002
www.elephantsize.com
one thing that we realy like are acurate sales reports (soundscan)
with my old distributor (you know who) i have had a project there for a year and i still have no reliable sales figures. with my new distributor, i get weekly SS reports.

also, a clearer and more open payment policy should be readily availible in writing.

E.S.P.

Big C

Sicc OG
May 21, 2002
krista602(Denial)/ What's up my nogga?!?!?
Anyways, Sound Scan is expensive to suscribe to. Some distributors don't have it. Some pull in favors and some don't like putting it out there like that. If it were up to me Sound Scan would be 100% FREE to everyone!

Hopefully the RIAA will do something to fix this or regulate the pricing for Sound Scan's fees.

Good luck!
Cuda