WEC Hits PPV April 24th

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 17, 2004
wish it was a little cheaper but ill pay for it.

Arco Arena

Urijah Faber vs. Jose Aldo (featherweight title match)
Donald Cerrone vs. Ben Henderson (lightweight title match)
Mike Brown vs. Manny Gamburyan

World Extreme Cagefighting will stage its first pay-per-view event April 24, scheduling a star-stacked card for its first attempt to persuade mixed martial arts fans to pay $44.99 for its fights.

Urijah Faber will meet featherweight champion Jose Aldo in the main event of WEC 48 from Sacramento, Calif., the lighter-weight MMA promotion’s leaders told The Associated Press before Wednesday’s announcement.

Former featherweight champion Mike Brown also will meet Manny Gamburyan at Arco Arena, and lightweight champion Ben Henderson will fight Donald Cerrone in a rematch of their acclaimed October bout.
ADVERTISEMENT

After years of showcasing its product on Versus and online, the WEC is eager for its long-anticipated—and possibly treacherous—step into pay-per-view.

“We wanted to wait until we had this type of card to go to pay-per-view,” WEC general manager Reed Harris told the AP. “We didn’t want to do a pay-per-view show until fans would say at the end of the night, ‘This was worth it.’ This will truly be the biggest event we’ve ever done.”

The WEC and industry-leading UFC are both owned by Zuffa, the company primarily behind MMA’s surge into international popularity during the past decade. A few months after Zuffa bought the WEC in December 2006, the promotion reached a deal with Versus to show live events on the cable channel.

While the WEC doesn’t have the UFC’s widespread popularity, its December 2008 move to focus on lighter-weight fighters in its smaller octagonal cage has appealed to most MMA fans. The WEC now believes it’s attractive enough to open those fans’ wallets for the same price charged by the UFC for its major pay-per-view events.

“It’s a natural progression,” WEC vice president Peter Dropick said. “The WEC is growing, and going to pay-per-view is the next step. It’s an important step from a business standpoint. We weren’t just going to put a pay-per-view on. We wanted to make sure it was the right card and the right matchup. We’ve got the ability to put on one of the best cards we’ve ever done. The timing is right.”

Pay-per-view is a staple of the UFC’s business model, but other MMA promotions haven’t been as successful charging fees for their product. Affliction, the clothing company which briefly emerged as a promotional rival to UFC, couldn’t stay in business after just two pay-per-view shows.

Strikeforce, the steady Bay Area-based promotion which partners with heavyweight star Fedor Emelianenko’s M-1 Global, has expressed an interest in the pay-per-view business several times in recent years. But CEO Scott Coker hasn’t jumped into that particular octagon just yet, preferring to focus on his showcases on CBS and Showtime.

The WEC scheduled its biggest event on a night with no conflicts with the UFC’s schedule or competition from major boxing matches. The promotion plans to put together a preview show similar to the showcases that drum up interest in the UFC’s big events, along with an extensive marketing plan.

Although Faber is considered the WEC’s biggest star, the promotion hopes to showcase a large portion of its top talents before the pay-per-view crowd. Faber grew up in the Sacramento area, and his popularity in Northern California made Arco Arena the natural choice to host the event after enthusiastic crowds greeted each of the WEC’s previous events there.

Aldo is the WEC’s newest major player after his surprising stoppage of Brown to claim the featherweight title last November. Brown won that title by beating Faber in November 2008, and thought he also won their rematch last June, his next bout is against Gamburyan, a former UFC lightweight who has two victories since dropping down to featherweight last year.

Cerrone, the hard-living lightweight known as “Cowboy,” is among the WEC’s most popular fighters. He’ll meet Henderson, who held off Cerrone for a thrilling unanimous decision in what was widely labeled the promotion’s best fight of 2009.

If the card is as successful as Harris and Dropick expect it to be, the WEC expects to schedule more pay-per-view events. Yet the promotion still counts on Versus for most of its exposure and competition.

“I think we’re destined to always be on free TV,” Harris said. “This is just something where the timing is right to take the next step.”

Tickets for Arco Arena will go on sale Saturday.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
WEC 48 tickets on sale Saturday, start at just $40 for ARCO Arena event

Say want you want about WEC 48's $44.99 pay-per-view price tag; those fans attending the show in person are surely guaranteed to get a deal.

Tickets for the WEC's first ever PPV-televised event, which features an intriguing headliner of WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo vs. former title-holder Urijah Faber, range from just $40 to $165.

Tickets for the event, which is set for ARCO Arena in Sacramento, Calif, go on sale this Saturday, Feb. 6, at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT), though WEC.tv newsletter subscribers can take part in a pre-sale on Friday, Feb. 5, at 1 p.m. ET.

Sacramento is Faber's hometown and consistently draws some of the WEC's biggest crowds.

In addition Aldo vs. Faber, the event features a lightweight title fight between champ Benson Henderson and Donald Cerrone, and a potential No. 1 contender's bout between former featherweight champ Mike Brown and Manny Gamburyan. They're three of at least five fights set to air on the PPV broadcast.

"We are building the most action-packed card we've ever done for our first pay-per-view," WEC General Manager Reed Harris stated. "The Jose Aldo-Urijah Faber fight is something fans have been talking about for a long time. When those two step inside the cage, it could be one of the best fights in the history of the sport. With the Cerrone-Henderson rematch and the Brown-Gamburyan fight also scheduled, this guarantees that fans get the most bang for their buck."

May 17, 2004
lol at the Faber fans who are gonna pay $45 to see him get the shit kicked out of him
i dont see it as one sided as everyone else. urijah is going to be the quickest fighter that aldo has fought. i think it should be a pretty good fight.

and i find it funny fans (not you b-buzz) bitch about fighter salaries but arent willing to pay for ppv events.

Feb 12, 2004
I'll definitely be gathering up the mma troops to chip in for this event. Aldo is going to destroy Faber. Urijah looked really bad in his last fight imo. I think the newer talent like Aldo has surpassed him.

Dec 9, 2005
Am I the only one who thinks Faber is going to win?

I think he is more versatile with his striking, and he isn't going to be there when Aldo comes for blood. He moves a lot and gives good angles...and like mentioned, his conditioning is 2nd to none.

Aldo is probably the favorite going in, as he should be...but I'm thinking Faber has the right style to beat him.

I'm kind of torn on the whole WEC PPV thing. On one hand, I'm glad these guys are getting the paydays they deserve. On another hand, the thing that I liked about the WEC the most was that it was free on Versus, and usually delivered exciting fights.

I don't mind the WEC PPV's as long as they stack the card like this though. Keep the majority of the fights on free TV and they'll keep their fanbase.

May 17, 2004
Am I the only one who thinks Faber is going to win?

I think he is more versatile with his striking, and he isn't going to be there when Aldo comes for blood. He moves a lot and gives good angles...and like mentioned, his conditioning is 2nd to none.

Aldo is probably the favorite going in, as he should be...but I'm thinking Faber has the right style to beat him.

I'm kind of torn on the whole WEC PPV thing. On one hand, I'm glad these guys are getting the paydays they deserve. On another hand, the thing that I liked about the WEC the most was that it was free on Versus, and usually delivered exciting fights.

I don't mind the WEC PPV's as long as they stack the card like this though. Keep the majority of the fights on free TV and they'll keep their fanbase.

wec has said they will only be doing 1 or 2 ppvs a year. versus is guaranteed at least 7 live events for 2010.

Dec 9, 2005
Yeah, that's what I thought. Sounds good. This card is dope as hell. Never been to a WEC event, thinking about going since its in Sac.

Arco Arena fans seem to boo the shit out of everything though. Must be them weird ass Kings fans from the area.

May 17, 2004
Yeah, that's what I thought. Sounds good. This card is dope as hell. Never been to a WEC event, thinking about going since its in Sac.

Arco Arena fans seem to boo the shit out of everything though. Must be them weird ass Kings fans from the area.
i went to faber vs brown 2 at arco. the crowd is trashy as hell. but i was sitting in the 10th row and it was awesome.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
WEC 48 confirms full lineup for April 24 pay-per-view debut

The lineup for World Extreme Cagefighting's first pay-per-view-televised event is now set.

The event, which features title fights of featherweight champion Jose Aldo vs. Urijah Faber and lightweight title-holder Benson Henderson vs. Donald Cerrone, takes place April 24 at ARCO Arena in Sacramento, Calif.

With official confirmation of a featherweight Chan Sung Jung vs. Leonard Garcia bout, the fight card boasts a total of 11 fights, five of which are set for the televised main card.

The card costs $49.99.

All of the bouts were previously reported by MMAjunkie.com, though the WEC hadn't officially announced the Jung vs. Garcia preliminary-card bout until today. Jung initially was slated to fight Cub Swanson, but the fighter's ongoing hand injury prompted him to pull out of the fight, and his teammate, Garcia, quickly offered to fill in as a replacement.

"This is one of the deepest cards we've ever put together," WEC General Manager Harris stated. "From top to bottom, this event has the potential to produce some of the best fights of the year. And I've said all along that I think Aldo vs. Faber could be one of the best bouts of the decade. On April 24, fans are in for a real treat."

WEC officials expect the event to be one of the highest-attended shows in WEC history, if not the most highest attended. Tickets for the show are currently on sale and range from $40 to $185.

The full card includes:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Jose Aldo vs. Urijah Faber (for featherweight title)
* Champ Benson Henderson vs. Donald Cerrone (for lightweight title)
* Mike Brown vs. Manny Gamburyan
* Anthony Njokuani vs. Shane Roller
* Antonio Banuelos vs. Scott Jorgensen

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Leonard Garcia vs. Chan Sung Jung
* Alex Karalexis vs. Anthony Pettis
* Demetrious Johnson vs. Brad Pickett
* Anthony Morrison vs. Mackens Semerzier
* Takeya Mizugaki vs. Rani Yahya
* Tyler Toner vs. Brandon Visher