wavs or Reason song files for mastering??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 25, 2008
I am putting together a bunch of beats for my second release, which will be a compilation album. It is hard enough for me to find a dope vocalist to match the track, but I know I gotta handle my end first and foremost, which is producing the heat. Question is, when I ship these tracks out for mastering, are my best wav files the way to go, or do I give the studio my Reason files to be mastered track by track? Any help from your experience is appreciated...

Kavie

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
WAV! I think an audio CD will work too, but don't quote me on that. I know that they're not going to want Reason files.

Call the place you're going to have doing the mastering and ask them what they prefer.

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
on mastering you want to have everything mixed to a wav file with minimal limiting on your wav file. let the mastering engineer do the overall eq and compreesion.

Mixing is when you track your beat out and seperate every sound and mix it all down to how you like it. Then you take the mix down of your song and master that basically brininging every track on your cd to same volume level and time inbetween tracks and adding some eq and shit making it sound like a professional product.

so if you want it mixed then give them the reason files and the sounds you used - or a bunch of wavs of each sound seperated.

if you want it mastered just give them the song in 1 wav.

Aug 25, 2008
'preciate that... I listened to a Woodie (R.I.P.) interview here on siccness, and he mentioned industry standard of a mastered song peaking at zero, I figured out how to do that in wavelab, and the results have been been a lot better... there is a track called "Let me get it" that I put on myspace.com/digitaldank using this newfound technique... check it out, and if anyone wants to rip to it, let me know, and I will email you the mp3.