"Turf Politics" review

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Messy Marv has to be one of the Bay Area’s best-kept secrets. After appearing on numerous albums and compilations, Marvin has built a strong fan base everywhere and has always come consistent with good quality music. He recently released his much-anticipated “Turf Politics” album. The album offers production from Sean T., Ric Rock, Dewayne Wiggins, and Young B. Messy Marv gets some lyrical help from the likes of Daz Dillinger, E-40, B-Legit, Soulchild, and many more. So does Mess hold his own on his new album? Check out my review:

1)“What!” featuring C-Bo- produced by Sean T. Great song to start off the album. Perfect production and excellent lyrics from both artists. The only complaint I have about this song is it being too short. Nevertheless, dope ass song. 10/10

2)“Fo a Life Time”- produced by Sean T. Good song to follow up. The chorus is tight. Lyrics are dope too. The beat sounds like a Battlecat song. 8/10

3)“Turf Politics” featuring Daz Dillinger , JT the Bigga Figga, and Levitti- produced by Femi and Ric Rock. I was a little disappointed with this song. I thought it could’ve been better. All three rappers hold their own, even though the Daz verse is recycled. 6/10

4)“Pimp and Hoing”- useless skit.

5)“Hoe 4 Me” featuring Rappin 4Tay-produced by Sean T. I wasn’t feelin this track at first but it grew on me. The beat is crazy. The title speaks for itself, so you already know what to expect from both artists. 9/10

6)“Cuzzin”- produced by Sean T. This track is off the hook. He imitates Killa Tay’s “squeaky voice” throughout the song. Good production and lyrics. 10/10

7)“Who Wudda Known” featuring (Musiq) Souldchild- produced by DeWayne Wiggins. Another dope song. Mess and Musiq make a good combination. Tight chorus. 9/10

8)“Mafia Shit”-skit

9)“Thug Life”- produced by Dewayne Wiggins. The title speaks for itself. Excellent production. Mess could’ve spent more time on his chorus instead of just yelling out “thug life!” Still a good song. 9/10

10)“Center of Attention” featuring E-40 & B-Legit-produced by Dewayne Wiggins. My favorite cut off the album. Straight up Mobb Music. B-Legit rips up the track and 40 Water comes with his clever lines. All three rappers hold their own. 20/10!!!!!!

11)“Twisted” featuring George Clinton- produced by Sean T. Wasn’t really feelin this song. Nothing really made it stand out from the rest. 6/10

12)“Dream On”-produced by Sean T. Alright song. It’s sorta weird how Mess clowns girls then comes out with this one. Song has a good message to it. 7/10

13)“Nikki”-produced by Young B. Didn’t really like this song. Could’ve been better. 5/10

Overall, a solid album from Messcalen. I was sorta disappointed that there were no guest appearances by Rich the Factor and Nate Dogg like the ad promised. I feel San Quinn could’ve been put in the album. I highly recommend this album. “Turf Politics” displays the lyrical ability of Messy Marvin and the production meshed with his style perfectly. Mess has the potential to be a major factor in the rap industry. The majors need to look out for this rapper on the rise. 8.5/10

Apr 25, 2002
SHITS KNOCKIN...People are hounding him for having Nubian Queen back on there but I understand. I think with this album Messy has high expectations, because of the great features on it, so he probably wants to tune in people who don't have "Still Explosive" to get a glimpse of which should be a mainstream radio song "Nubian Queen". This track should be booming on the radio..but ohh well!!