there aint no hyphy movement/sound

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 5, 2006
there is no hyphy movement, its just a bunch of catch phrases, its just new age rap from the bay area, theres no certain sound to it , u niggaz have been livin a lie and just ran with it, i dont think u fools sat down an thought about it, its just new age beats with phrases like "shake yo dreads", put yo stunnaz on, niggaz rappin bout stunnaz and dreads, other then that its just a club/party record from tha bay area, but niggaz call it a hyphy song and a hyphy movement.........

May 2, 2006
FleaJ K said:
there is no hyphy movement, its just a bunch of catch phrases, its just new age rap from the bay area, theres no certain sound to it , u niggaz have been livin a lie and just ran with it, i dont think u fools sat down an thought about it, its just new age beats with phrases like "shake yo dreads", put yo stunnaz on, niggaz rappin bout stunnaz and dreads, other then that its just a club/party record from tha bay area, but niggaz call it a hyphy song and a hyphy movement.........
What makes a song hyphy is the heavy bass (aka a song that "slaps") and the lyricism, which usually incorporates high doses of Bay slanguage (aka "a bunch of catch phrases"). Aside from the lyrics and beat, yeah, there is "no certain sound to" the hyphy movement. But uh...I think that the lyrics and beat are two fairly essential aspects of a song...

Oct 28, 2003
I agree with you 100%, but to play the devils advocate...Movements mobilize and bring forth exposure to _____ (fill in the blank). Movements bring what one people think is important or impactful to the light. Now that's not to say that the term "movement" is always a good thing. Hell Natzism was a movement, the Klu Klux Klan was a movement, hell their are lots of movements good and bad. Hyphy seems more like a trend trying to be packaged as a movement. This is more of a "the bay feels this is the only way to get on lets support it" kind of thing. Movements arn't in cans of energy drink, 200 songs that sound the same, producers goin on t.v. clamin to be kings when they took they style from the other person that said he is the constructor of the hyphy sound and on and on. This is about people wanting to make some money and "get on". The Bay has culture...and Hyphy is a small part of it.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
There most definatly is a hyphy movement or there or MTV wouldn't be talking about it. Bay Rap sounds different from shit from the south and east coast and vice versa. Every region has its own spin on this hip hop thing. Its all in the accent, the beats, the shit that goes down in every sector. I don't know why people down grade this hyphy shit because its the best thing to happen to bay area rap in 10 years. The Bay is back and you can thank everyone on the hyphy bandwagon for supporting. Now even non hyphy rappers are getting shine like Bailey and Quinn all cuz of the buzz the hyphy shit made.

Feb 13, 2006
FleaJ K said:
it gets really old when people say shit that they really dont know about. catch phrases? like what?stunna shades why cuz your new to it and maybe heard a song where it has catchy phrases?i agree about hyphy movement only cuz we aint fightin for nothin but hyphy is what it do......a hyphy song is a song that makes you go dumb not cuz it says dreads this and dreads that cuz it just blap u beezy!

TROLL

Sicc OG
Aug 8, 2003
hyphy/crunk= same shit

hyphy doesnt really have a defineing sound.. u could put a "crunk" beat and a "hyphy" beat side by side and u wouldnt tell the diffrence...now adayz an artist can slap what ever together and label it hyphy.. innovation is lost with this trend..