The Strange Music "Model"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 8, 2005
Lawrence, Ks
I've been smoking some good lately, and doing some market research on independent rap labels, and an interesting question arose. Does the Strange Music business model, work without one the most talented rappers ever, as it's foundation? I mean it's amazing to me to see how far Strange, and Tech have come, it looks like they are on the road to world domination. However would Strange, still be Strange with (Insert Favorite Kc rapper) as it's backbone.
I'll be honest, not many, if any, indie labels have access to the likes of a Tech N9ne. So does that make Strange Music the exception to the rule when it comes to building a label from the ground up? I'm just looking for some feedback, maybe I'm just over-thinking this, or it could be the Cherry Kush!!!!

Tony Gaines

Nov 14, 2002
I wouldn't know what the fuck Strange Music was if it weren't for Tech, so no. And I know that Strange is Techs label, so there wouldn't BE a Strange if he weren't on it, but that aside, I wouldn't know anything about anybody off of Strange other than Ill Bill.

So take that however you want.

Aug 26, 2002
www.missouri.edu
Zero's right...

Other labels have done it to an extent.

Slug is the "backbone" of Rhymesayers. They have a huge roster with a bunch of artists that have a cult following like much of the Strange Roster. A lot of underground "backpacker" types are into artists like Blueprint, Eyedea, I Self Divine, Mac Lethal, yet none of them charted on Billboard's Top 200 like Krizz did. Brother Ali finally had some success with his last album, but that was after releasing two prior ones going back to like 2000.

I'd say Def Jux is kind of the same. El-P co-owns and was consistently the "backbone" in terms of sales and appeal, but now Aesop Rock has become the backbone (or at least the "Brother Ali" of the label). Then there's a whole slew of popular underground artists like Mr. Lif, Cage, and RJD2, none of whom do much, if any, better than Krizz sales and charts-wise.

I mean think about it...G-Unit Records has sold a ton of albums with the help of 50, who had help from Eminem at Shady Records (who also put out D12, Obie Trice, & other albums), who was yet another subsidiary of AFtermath. IN essence...where would somone like Lloyd Banks be if you couldn't connect the dots all the way back to Dr. Dre?

So to answer your question...I guess that would make Strange more the rule than the exception.

Jul 7, 2002
I've been smoking some good lately, and doing some market research on independent rap labels, and an interesting question arose. Does the Strange Music business model, work without one the most talented rappers ever, as it's foundation? I mean it's amazing to me to see how far Strange, and Tech have come, it looks like they are on the road to world domination. However would Strange, still be Strange with (Insert Favorite Kc rapper) as it's backbone.
I'll be honest, not many, if any, indie labels have access to the likes of a Tech N9ne. So does that make Strange Music the exception to the rule when it comes to building a label from the ground up? I'm just looking for some feedback, maybe I'm just over-thinking this, or it could be the Cherry Kush!!!!

Tony Gaines
This model will work with any artist that has the ability to connect with his fans on a personal level. The artist or artists don't have to be super talented on the mic (ie, ICP).

This model doesn't work anywhere near as well when dealing with "gangsta" music as it does invoke as much emotion in the listener. At the end of the day this model hinges on music that hits deep with it listeners. This is why I feel that Kutt, Snug, and Skatter tend to not get quite as much love from the average Tech fan as Tech and Kaliko do.

Anyway...that's al I have for now.

Mar 12, 2006
AND THAT DOPE ASS VIDEO FROM THAT DUDE FROM LAWRENCE MR. CASSANOVA... THAT FOOL HAS POTENTIAL......

I'm not quite sure what the Strange Music "Model" is but.... They have done a good job establishing a brand and sticking to it. Even without distribution for the label Strange Music was touring like no other. I'm sure at first there was hardly anybody in the crowds and profit was probably minimal. But after rockin shows time and time again, word of mouth got around and fans began showin up in bunches. So I would say yes, it will work. If they would have set up shows and not shown up or not put on a GOOD show people would not have shown up and word of mouth would be that they suck dont waste your money.

Nov 5, 2006
Travis O'guin is an intelligent business man who saw a rapper with real talent and no spotlight. So as partners in the label it all hinges off the both of them Travis and Tech even though it is taking money and time they are growing at a steady pace and in a manner as to which they will not be overcomed when they finally blow up, Ill take it all the way back to an old story starring a turtle and a hare, except this turtle can spit faster and more intelligently than any other turtle or rabbit out there, The Strange business Model definately is starting to appear to be very solid. I do think however that they would be a little better off not signing the Juggalo artists, but that thier deal

Oct 16, 2006
Oh yeah...the guy you just told to "shut the fuck up" was responsible for the music behind some great Tech songs.
Would you be able to elaborate on this? Who is Tony Gaines in relation to music that Tech N9ne has made and what music is he responsible for, in regards to being associated with, that Tech N9ne has released?

Just curious..

ECF'NW.

Dec 4, 2004
No Strange would not be nearly as succesful if it wasn't for Tech N9ne. He appeals to alot of different types of fans, especially to the crowd who like gimmick rappers and face painted clown rappers.... I would not care for Strange if it weren't for Tech N9ne. Honestly dont look out for anyone on it other than him.