The Jacka Interviewed at Soundslam

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 17, 2005
I didn't know that he was a part of Hip Hop Congress. That's tight. Jacka is shit, mang. I've been supporting them and the Mob Figgas for years. He says some dope shit in the interview.

I posted some of it here, but the rest you have to go to the link to see.

Some people think that the Bay Area is on the rise again. With the advent of the New bay movement and the emergence of artists like the Team, Balance, and The Federation the buzz about town is that the Bay Area is due for an explosive recognition of talent, music prowess and commercial viability. All of this however, is steeped in the development of a music culture that has long since held the philosophy: independent or nothing at all. One group that typified the success of this independent ethic was C-Bo’s Mob Figaz, which was released in the early part of this decade on West Coast Mafia Records and Get Paid Entertainment.

Fast forward to now, the game has changed, the Bay may blow and without a doubt as some one who has been there, done that and seen the changes that the Bay has gone through, the Jacka has a real insight on what makes the game tick. His newest release, The Jack Artist has done well, and continues to move units. I had a chance to pick the brain of the Jacka to get his thoughts on Hip Hop, women in the culture, the po-po and much more.

Soundslam: All right Jacka, tell us a little bit about the album the Jack Artist. How long have you been working on the project and what do you think about how it’s being received?

The Jacka: It didn’t’ take long to record the album, but getting my label together and setting things up to drop the album took some time. I’ve been promoting the album and muthaf***az seem to love it. Magazines that review it have been showing dumb love. Xxxplosive, showcase, Rawkus, Murder Dog, The Source…They all did write ups on me or the album and that’s really helped me. A lot of people are saying that it’s the best s**t they’ve heard this year and other things like that.

Soundslam: Tell us a little bit about the Dope Game? What is that and how did you get involved? What are your hopes with that project?

Jacka: Dope game is just some underground s**t for the streets only. But people everywhere seem to like it. The group was really something that me and Husalah started. We had been the Dope Game for years…But we never put the project out. Somehow, Somewhat thought it was cool to use the name and then they invited us in the group cause they knew they were in the wrong. The group is now me, Huslah, Keak, and Verstyle/P. Black. There is a Dope Game 2 Coming that has nothing to do with Me or Huslah…Labels, and sometimes money ruin good things in the music industry.

Soundslam: You did an interview in the Bootycrack (www.bootycrack.com) in which you discussed your position on the New Bay. As a popular artist, you’ve had the fortune or misfortune of being grouped with that movement. Tell us a little bit about that interview, your thoughts on the New Bay concept, and how this whole experience has affected you?

Jacka: It hasn’t affected me cause no one really knows about it. As far as a movement, I like it.

Soundslam: You’ve expressed a willingness to be involved with the community on many levels as a guest speaker and performer at events. Tell us a little bit about why that is and how you as an artist feel artists can contribute to the community?

Jacka: Yeah, I want to go to schools…donate to charity. I am have an independent label now… that is giving back and creating jobs.

http://www.soundslam.com/articles/interviews/interviews.php?interviews=in051114thejac

Sep 27, 2004
thanks for posting that...it was a good interview...was scrathing my head about Husalah freestyling his whole first album....how old is that? did it ever come out?...

Nov 15, 2005
Jacka & the Figaz are solid in many aspects. Whether it's as an individual, group &/or label. They're consistent with quality music & bringing whut's necessary 2 the table. Good read. Keep it movin'.