Strikeforce vs Dream

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
I thought Nick would beat the shit out of Mach when they announced this but since then I read about how Mach got pissed when Aoki got schooled by Gil last month and asked the President of DREAM to set up the fight with Nick in a cage to kind of get Japan's honor back, and when Mach's motivated he's still a pretty good fighter so this could be great.
I think right now Nick's the only SF guy on the card but they're still going to announce a couple more fights.

May 25, 2009
STRIKEFORCE vs BELLATOR CHAMPION VS. CHAMPION

Despite the UFC’s insistence that it will not cross promote with another organization, Strikeforce and Bellator embrace the idea. In fact, both companies have already traded fighters in the past and Strikeforce has worked with DREAM. Now, the two would like to set up their biggest fight to date: a match between their lightweight champions, Gilbert “El Nino” Melendez and Eddie Alvarez.

“If the stars align and we can work out all the terms and conditions and timing, we’d do it,” Strikeforce CEO, Scott Coker said. ”Of course we would. Why wouldn’t we? Let’s go do this.”

After defeating DREAM champion, Shinya Aoki, in April, Melendez immediately expressed his interest in facing Alvarez. With the UFC’s stable of lightweights not an option, fighting the Bellator title holder represents one of the biggest bouts available for “El Nino.”

“I think he’s an amazing fighter, and that’s why I call out Eddie Alvarez,” Melendez said. “Let’s unify those titles. I’d love to fight that guy and test myself. I think if I could beat him, I could be No. 1 and vice versa.”
Bellator CEO, Bjorn Rebney, fully supports the idea of pitting both organization’s champions against each other. To Rebney, cross promotion benefits the fighters, the fans and the sport of MMA as a whole.

“I will do everything I can to get Gilbert what he asked for,” Rebney stated. “Gilbert wants the fight, Eddie wants the fight, and I want the fight. All we have to do is get Scott Coker on board, and together, we can make this happen. Eddie wants to fight the best, and Gilbert wants to fight the best, and there is no reason why any promoter or network should stand in the way of that.”

Coker doesn’t disagree with the value of featuring the two highly ranked lightweights in a bout; however, he won’t set it up at any cost. The contractual agreements must benefit both organizations involved. Apparently, that has been a problem in the past. Strikeforce had previously inquired about bringing in Roger Huerta, but Bellator’s stipulations nixed the deal.

“We’ve lent them three or four fighters already, and we had a brief conversation about (loaning) Roger Huerta but the terms, conditioning, time just weren’t right,” Coker said. “But we’d love to work with them.”

Details about the Huerta negotiations were not given.

While the bout is still a long way from completion, MMA fans can enjoy the fact that cross promotion is finally starting to happen. Although the UFC won’t be a part of it, there are plenty of super fight match ups available to entertain the masses. With the two organizations already affiliated with Showtime, CBS and Fox Sports, there will be plenty of opportunities to market these special attractions. If Strikeforce and Bellator find success with the loaning out of their fighters, perhaps the UFC will break their policy and follow suite.