Stoicism

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 4, 2007
hm, well it always seemed like a very boring way of life lol, because the people who were very stoic were usually calm, and didn't live without much rise or extremes.
lol, but thats compared to the very extreme way we live nowadays, which does not always mean its correct.

2 philosophy classes, and i still don't know much in detail...
lol

May 14, 2002
I like the idea of part of it...
"Man is disturbed not by things, but by the views he takes of them."-Epictetus
Quotes like that to me are awe inspiring. The down side to me is the whole apathetic sorta side of it.

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also"

"How ridiculous and how strange to be surprised at anything which happens in life!"

# "Get rid of the judgment, get rid of the 'I am hurt,' you are rid of the hurt itself."

# "Freedom is secured not by the fulfilling of one's desires, but by the removal of desire."

i always thought the same stuff..never knew it was stoicism

Jan 31, 2008
i dont know what stoicism is but from reading these replies i will say that i believe is that life is never about what happens to you but how you REACT to it.
will you live life or will life live you?
in the end whichever way you react will be based on your own decision, so why not decide to react in a way where you dont give power to things over you?

hm, well it always seemed like a very boring way of life lol, because the people who were very stoic were usually calm, and didn't live without much rise or extremes.
lol, but thats compared to the very extreme way we live nowadays, which does not always mean its correct.

yes, they seem boring but in actuality they are more content with themselves and Life as they know it. Why should i create extremes in my life that dont really exist? like you said, that is compared to the extreme way we live today which doesnt mean its correct. Anything that isnt absolute isnt required to 'succeed' in life and basically nonexistance, this includes society. And if you ask me, i think we are closer to the truth if we dont try to understand how society is supposed to be than to impose our own limited understanding and comprehension of it, ensuring flaws.

its like the dark room with a flashlight i spoke about before, anywhere and anyway you point the light you will , just like a perception of reality, expose some things while hiding others. So will i continue to to attempt to find the real perception with that one flash light and one perception, with their value being no different than any other perception, or will i simply turn the light off and get much closer to truth.

i dont know if this has anything to do with this thread but i feel like talkin about this.